PDA

View Full Version : Data Systems and Downsizing

bthackrey
06-23-09, 12:48 PM
I have been in the dep since december and will be leaving august 10 for basic. I made a 92 on my asvab and a 32 on the act but because of complications, was unable to recieve a diploma. I enlisted with 12 credit hours of college (fall semester) as a tier 2 and wasnt told that in order to get the job I was asking about, atc, that I would need to become a tier 1. I was told I would get an mos sou soon so I could leave march 30. But as my ship date drew closer, my recruiter kept giving me the runaround. I quickly realized he was trying to put me through with an open contract. I disputed it and, after being told about the tier 1 and 2 statuses, decided it best to return to school for 3 more credit hours. I was, of course, proturbed because if my recruiter had only been honest with me I could have attended school in the spring and left with a tier 1 mos late spring. Instead, my date was moved to august and I had to wait til summer semester began. I am now about halfway through school and was informed that, because of the current downsizing of the marines that began in MAY, I would only be able to recieve a job in data systems. This whole time thinking im working toward a job in aviation operations. I feel well qualified for atleast the area of my choosing, if not job(correct me if im wrong). I also feel jipped because if my recruiter had only been honest outright, I would have been able to sign a tier 1 contract for atc before may.

Another marine friend suggested I discuss it with the ?executive officer of my city? Said that he could possibly pull a few without going "further up"

I know the Marine corps will put me where THEY need me, bottom line, but I dont think ill be able to work with computers in data systems for however long. Anything but that.

Any suggestions and info on data systems would be greatly appreciated.

BR34
06-23-09, 01:03 PM
You need to hold off until you get a MOS you are satisfied with. That will keep you from spending 3.5 years of your enlistment regretting your decision. There will PROBABLY be more jobs available in October. So try waiting it out.

Lisa 23
06-23-09, 01:13 PM
For future reference, don't "double post" a topic....it's no-no.

bthackrey
06-23-09, 01:19 PM
got it

bthackrey
06-23-09, 01:23 PM
The only thing about waiting is that my recruiter said that because of the dod's downsizing of the Corps, there will be practically no job opening for some years to come...true or not, idk

giveen
06-23-09, 01:26 PM
Last I heard there was talks to increase the size, not downsize

I am a Data Marine and I loved it. There will be many chances to deploy if you want, lots of work to do and lots of fun to do as well.

A lot of people will depend on you.

Petz
06-23-09, 10:35 PM
the increase is over but there are always new billet (job) openings that are disseminated every october to recruiting command... you may have to wait until oct 15th or so to get the list but your job MAY be there.

don't take it, he's trying to just get you in... but don't hate him for it... it's his job.

if you don't like his practices then as the SNCOIC to give you another recruiter or you'll goto another RSS. But you need to be respectful and not bash the recruiter who's trying to help you join.