PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Marine life...

SCFirefighter
06-22-09, 09:04 PM
Well, to start things off with an introduction, my name is John. I am a Firefighter/Paramedic, professional photographer and storm chaser. My father served in the Marine Corps (Camp Lejeune), my Grandfather on my mom's side was in the 82nd and my Grandfather on dad's side did Special Operations during Vietnam (With him it seems to be "Don't ask don't tell"). My uncle served in the 82nd Airborne along with a few friends of ours. I also had a buddy that was killed by an insurgent I.E.D. attack in Ghazni, Afghanistan on August 9, 2005. So... needless to say, I grew up in a "military oriented" atmosphere, but chose to find my niche in other vocations.

I've got a thing for MilSims, Project Reality being high on the list. To put it simply, PR is a (as my buddy's in the service put it) "Highly realistic combat experience". As real as it gets... next to being there of course. The first time I played it, we had a full server of 62 people, 6 squads on each side. Our mission was to find weapons caches hidden across western Fallejuah, while the insurgents tried to hold us back. I played the game with my computer connected to a 42" flat screen and surround sound turned up, with the hopes of closely simulating a combat enviroment as possible. Let me say this... it scared the living hell out of me! I couldn't imagine being under enemy fire. I have a great deal of respect for anyone who has "been there, done that". The sounds of bullets cracking past our heads, rounds impacting the ground around us, an IED detonating less than 50m from our HMMWV... it was terrifying.

What I want to know from you guys is how the heck do you "prepare" yourself for a firefight? I watched a documentary the other day from some Army detachment in Iraq. They had insurgent mortar rounds landing within a few hundred yards of their compound all throughout the night, and all the while... they actually sit there and laugh and cut up about it! How do you guys do it??

I've had life or death situations before too. I've rolled a Mustang GT 8 times at 60mph. I've fought more fires than I could ever care to count and had a handful of extremely close calls. So to some degree, I guess I can relate to you Marines. The way I see it though, to me, fighting fire and being inside a burning building is actually "fun"... I really enjoy it. That's my passion, that's my calling. Is that why, as a Marine, you guys can go to the front lines, come so close to death you can get his phone number, and manage to walk away and have a few beers that same night? ;)

Anyways, I'll go ahead and wrap it up. Let me close by saying this much from the heart...

I don't agree with the politics governing the war in the Middle East. It's about oil and money, plain and simple. But... I can say that I have a tremendous amount of respect for everyone in the service for doing what they do, and all of you Marines are at the very top of it all.

Thank you for protecting our homeland, and thank you for your honor, your courage and your sacrifice. I wish every one of you the best in each of your endeavors.

Good Luck and Godspeed.

Semper Fi

temarti
06-22-09, 09:38 PM
It's about oil and money, plain and simple

Fill out your profile then map quest this intersection: Liberty St & Church St
New York, NY 10006

That will answer why they serve and do what they do

HurricaneRJ
06-23-09, 01:24 AM
That whole introduction made me absolutely sick.:mad: You obviously have no clue.

Fubar5812
06-23-09, 02:02 AM
did you just try to compare actual combat to a COMPUTER GAME?!!

ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME?!!

i play PR too and I would never,EVER try to make that comparison!! there are no respawns in real life,there are no kit selection screens and the ESC key...there are brothers and sisters DYING and bleeding from shrapnel from an IED and actual ****ing rounds whizzing inches from your grape. to quote The Hangover "you are literally to stupid to insult".

look at this way,if some kid played a firefighting game or watched ladder 47 and told you "man I could do that,****ing sweet" with no idea of the repercussions or the brothers you've lost..... you'd feel like I feel right now.

SCFirefighter
06-23-09, 02:25 AM
did you just try to compare actual combat to a COMPUTER GAME?!!

ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME?!!

i play PR too and I would never,EVER try to make that comparison!! there are no respawns in real life,there are no kit selection screens and the ESC key...there are brothers and sisters DYING and bleeding from shrapnel from an IED and actual ****ing rounds whizzing inches from your grape. to quote The Hangover "you are literally to stupid to insult".

look at this way,if some kid played a firefighting game or watched ladder 47 and told you "man I could do that,****ing sweet" with no idea of the repercussions or the brothers you've lost..... you'd feel like I feel right now.

I had legit questions for you guys. I'm sorry you can do nothing but flame everyone that comes on this board. You all give marines a bad name. I can't believe you "Marines". I just lost total respect for your corps. To hell with all of you.

JoeInVille
06-23-09, 03:19 AM
I had legit questions for you guys. I'm sorry you can do nothing but flame everyone that comes on this board. You all give marines a bad name. I can't believe you "Marines". I just lost total respect for your corps. To hell with all of you.

Yea i guess the Marines on this website give Marines a bad name. Most of them have done FAR more than you or I ever will. I dont even need to say anything, just standby haha.

JWDevilDog
06-23-09, 04:00 AM
Oh is that right, wannabee? Well at first I thought you had good intentions. But when a Marine starts talking to you in real talk, your soft skin just crumbles. I suggest you stay away from your scary computer, where Marines might e-flame you, or where computer games might make you **** your pants. Again, stay away from your computer and hide in a corner and sulk.

You not having stone skin and taking the bull***** out of our mouths in another reason you would not make it in combat, or in our boot camp, for that matter. I'm not trying to say I have been baptized in fire yet, as I have not. And of course I have top respect and confidence in my brothers who are in (or have been in) the sh*t. But I at least made it as a Marine, and you sir, clearly would not.

Had you stuck around, we probably would have answered some of your legitimate questions. But instead you choose to cry and start insulting us. You can really gauge an accurate opinion on the Marine Corps based on what three Marines said on a website? If so, I feel sorry for you.

Also, there are rules to this site. As a non-Marine (IE civilian) you are not allowed to post in the Squadbay or other Marine only sections. Post in "Ask a Marine" under the poolee/wannabee section next time.

You should have expected our answers, anyway. You honestly just tried to compare combat, with the possibility of death or worse (IE witnessing one of your brothers dying) to a computer game. I don't care if you think you have a legitimate question or not, sit back for a minute and try to put yourself in our shoes with this one.

I will end with this: thank you for serving as a fireman. Honestly, most of your ilk are some of the bravest civilians around.