PDA

View Full Version : 100 killed in Liberia as US troops arrive

Devildogg4ever
07-21-03, 06:59 PM
Monrovia: Brutal fighting and heavy shelling rocked the Liberian capital Monrovia on Monday killing dozens of people, possibly as many as 100, as the diplomatic quarter came under sustained mortar fire.

The savage fighting between rebels and forces loyal to embattled President Charles Taylor, who now controls only a fifth of his country, came as special US troops arrived in Monrovia to protect the US mission in Liberia.

Enraged Liberians angry at US President George W. Bush’s failure to respond to international pressure to lead a peacekeeping force into Liberia piled up dead bodies outside the complex.

One mortar slammed into the US embassy and several others pounded nearby areas. Humanitarian sources said the toll could easily touch 100.

Bush said Monday he was “monitoring” the crisis in Liberia, but gave no indication when he would commit US forces to support a West African peacekeeping operation. UN Secretary General Kofi Annan stepped up the pressure on the United States and west African leaders to move quickly and deploy troops, saying “I think we can still salvage the situation if troops are deployed.”

Earlier in the day, a contingent of US special forces arrived to bolster security at the US embassy but their deployment was interrupted when at least 20 mortar shells fell near the compound.

One hit a general store inside the embassy compound located near one of its three gates but there were no casualties or injuries.

Embassy personnel and journalists covering the arrival of the 41 US troops took shelter in the basement of the main embassy building. —AFP

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_22-7-2003_pg1_4

greensideout
07-21-03, 07:48 PM
UN Secretary General Kofi Annan----"I think we can still salvage the situation if troops are deployed."

What situation is he trying to salvage?

The country has been a mess for more then 10 years and he wants U.S. troops to rush in and fix the situation, whatever it is?

Where has HE been for years with his "UN Troops?"

I hope that President Bush continues his stance that he took with the lack of support of the UN when we went into Iraq. We can do without you!

I have stated my views on some other posts here about this.
What do you think? Should we be jumping into this one too?

firstsgtmike
07-21-03, 08:51 PM
Perhaps we should send the anti-war peace activists who just opened an office in Bagdad.

Sgt Sostand
07-21-03, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by firstsgtmike
Perhaps we should send the anti-war peace activists who just opened an office in Bagdad.

Not a bad idea firstsgtmike

Devildogg4ever
07-22-03, 04:23 AM
I have stated my views on some other posts here about this. What do you think? Should we be jumping into this one too? Like I have said before, if Bush isn't carefull, we will be spread out to thin!!