PDA

View Full Version : question about direct order

Konati
06-22-09, 07:40 AM
In reading a few books about the war in Iraq, the reply to direct orders seems to be Roger that. Do Marines no longer reply with Aye-Aye Sir?:marine:

Blutic
06-22-09, 08:15 AM
In my experience, that was said in boot camp or after a lengthy discussion and a decision was made. Casual responses were mostly "roger that", "yes sir", "ok-dokey", etc.

skipper72
06-22-09, 08:19 AM
MARINES would reply, "Aye, Aye." Who those would be replying otherwise I would not know. Or, probably, would not even want to know. Not in field operations, anyway. Maybe they are crypto-Army or National Guard?

Rocky C
06-22-09, 08:23 AM
Here is a direct order.
FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE BEFORE POSTING !!!
We all would like to know to whom we are speaking to before replying.
Have a nice day.

Semper Fi,
Rocky

skipper72
06-22-09, 08:34 AM
MARINES would reply, "Aye, Aye." Who those would be replying otherwise I would not know. Or, probably, would not even want to know. Not in field operations, anyway. Maybe they are crypto-Army or National Guard?

Or, maybe, they are ChuckieKrulakians who believe in adapting the Corps to the conventions of the current era. In such instances, we should be obliged to return from "hatches" to "doors." From "ladders" to "stairs." From "overheads" to "ceilings." From "pogey bait" to "confections." Improving cadence to "a onesie," "a twosie," "a threesie," and "a foursie," LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, y'all ! And so forth.

This is the way the traditions of the United States Marine Corps end...not with a bang but with a whimper ! O tempore, O mores....

ArtyOps
06-23-09, 08:44 AM
Right...

Quinbo
06-23-09, 09:47 AM
Or, maybe, they are ChuckieKrulakians who believe in adapting the Corps to the conventions of the current era. In such instances, we should be obliged to return from "hatches" to "doors." From "ladders" to "stairs." From "overheads" to "ceilings." From "pogey bait" to "confections." Improving cadence to "a onesie," "a twosie," "a threesie," and "a foursie," LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, y'all ! And so forth.

This is the way the traditions of the United States Marine Corps end...not with a bang but with a whimper ! O tempore, O mores....

I need to print that out. Might come in handy later.

BR34
06-23-09, 12:20 PM
Saved, printed, and hung up. Thanks Sir.

quest23
06-23-09, 06:02 PM
i was taught that for field ops...roger...any other time...aye aye ....either way seems fine to me....i think roger that is more or less radio talk...

Fievel
06-23-09, 07:24 PM
i was taught that for field ops...roger...any other time...aye aye ....either way seems fine to me....i think roger that is more or less radio talk...

"Roger that" is informal and is radio talk, as you said. For formal situations, "Aye- Aye" is used. I had a kid that went up to testify for court martial and said "roger that" to a Colonel. Afterwards, our Staff Sergeant stomped his ass and advised him that if he said "roger that" again during a court martial, the next one he would attend would be the Staff Sergeant's for hazing.

I know that the Army gets away with saying "roger that" for formal situations, but they are also nasty *****es.

I think your MOS is also a factor on whether you say "roger that" or not. If you have to talk over the radio a lot, "roger that" becomes a habit for most Marines instead of "Aye-Aye" in informal situations.

wsky9er
06-23-09, 11:55 PM
Many, many years ago when I was in boot camp we were taught to say Aye-Aye Sir. When I went to ITR I used it on a Capt, who was my CO and he reamed me a new a##. After that I just used yes sir and no sir

JWDevilDog
06-24-09, 04:14 AM
A lot of Marines today use "roger," "roger that," "good to go," "aye" "rah." Of course they are usually followed by the rank, or sir/ma'am. I confess I do it too, in more casual situations.

I first got in the habit in Thailand, on my first deployment. It was much more relaxed, so saying "aye, corporal" (or whatever the rank was) wasn't always necessary, unless we were getting our a*ses chewed, and as long as we still accomplished the mission in a timely manner.

Again, in more formal situations, or a*s chewings, "aye" or "aye aye" is preferred. Honestly I don't hear "aye aye" all that much.

OleDoc
06-24-09, 12:16 PM
Aye (http://www.leatherneck.com/wiki/aye) Aye (http://www.leatherneck.com/wiki/aye), Sir (http://www.leatherneck.com/wiki/sir)

"I hear the command, I understand it and will comply with the order."

jackson07
06-24-09, 10:05 PM
Also RhodeIsland... look up the difference between a direct order and a lawful order.