PDA

View Full Version : Recruiter Lied about MOS

mom09
06-21-09, 04:57 PM
My son went to bootcamp on an open contract per advice from his recruiter. My son who doesn't know better agreed to the open contract. He doesn't want to be a cook. Well, his MOS is "cook" and is going to Ft. Lee, VA mid July for his school. Now he's stuck for 4 yrs as a cook because his recruiter scr**ed him up. We want to contact the General Salinas at MRCD and file a complaint against my son's recruiter. Is there anyway my son can change his MOS? :(

sgt tony
06-21-09, 05:52 PM
Mom I am sorry that your son is what he did not want or you did not want. But if your so signed and open contract there is not a lot you can do about this. Did you have to sign his contract was he over 18?
I was a recruiter in the 70s/80s and it would depend at what time of the year if it was any where form June to Oct. Most of the good schools was taken and you got what was left some times good some times not.
The Marines will place these young men and women in the areas that they are needed for the Marines.
I hope you understand it is not always the recruiter it is some time just the needs of the Corps.

Isrowei
06-21-09, 06:08 PM
How did the recruiter lie about "open contract"? It seems pretty clear to me.

Bottom line, there are no grounds for a complaint. If he truly doesn't want to be a cook... then have him see about a lateral move package. See if he can volunteer for something else when he reaches MCT.

But if it were me... do you know how much Chefs make these days? Four years of that and a paid-for education setting you ahead of your peers... and an occupation that is always open and looking for talent?

I dunno. I guess I don't see where the complaint is. But that's just me.

Skosh59
06-21-09, 07:39 PM
With all due respect to those involved; I get sick of hearing "Recruiter Lied about ....." My question is do you want to be a Marine or not???
If the answer is yes, than DO IT. If the answer is NO than join the boy scouts or some other panty a$$ outfit.

I enlisted in '59 and never heard of all this contract BS. I may be considered an old fart form the old Corps but we were taught to take orders without question and do what is needed for the Corps. We were given assignment & took it with out question. All Marines are equal, cook, mechanic, grunt, winger, etc.

There was only one acceptable answer when th DI asked, "Why did you join the Corps maggot"?
SIR, the maggot joined to die for the glory of the Corps, SIR. :evilgrin:

Thats my 2 pennies worth, sorry if anyone is offended but thats the way it is.:iwo:

GySgtRet
06-21-09, 07:56 PM
Usually we need a profile filled in with a little bit of information. You say that you are a E-1? When did you go through Parris Island? Inquiring minds want to know. I recruited from 1980 - 1983...

Zulu 36
06-21-09, 08:00 PM
Open contract is just that - open. Your son got exactly what he signed up for - an MOS in the Marine Corps. Somebody threw a dart with his name on it and it landed in the cook space on the spinning wheel.

My oldest brother was a cook in the Marine Corps. Now he is an assistant executive chef at some fancy dancy place near Lake Tahoe. His only formal chef schooling? Marine Corps Cooks and Bakers School, MCB Camp Lejuene, NC.

Phantom Blooper
06-21-09, 08:06 PM
contact the General Salinas at MRCD and file a complaint against my son's recruiter.

I agree withe rest of the Marines statements and answers....also the above General has nothing to do with this....

Its now between your son and the Marine Corps.....he signed open...open means wherever there is an opening.:evilgrin:

JWDevilDog
06-21-09, 10:11 PM
As the good SSgt stated, General Salinas has no technical jurisdiction over recruiting affairs. The stated Marine is in command of the Recruit Depot, not the recruiting district.

Besides, as everyone else has stated:
1) You need a proper profile to get the help you are looking for on this site, ma'am.
2) You have no real grounds for a complaint. Your son wanted to be a Marine, correct? Is he or is he not training to accomplish that end? If his only goal were to get a job, he should have joined the Air Force. Getting "open contract" is not getting screwed over, it is getting exactly what was signed for. I will wager that your son did not appropriately read his contract. Had he done so, and perhaps shown it to his parents, he would better understand what was expected of him, in terms of his MOS.

Isrowei
06-21-09, 10:32 PM
Actually, the CG's of the Depots are also in charge of their respective recruiting regions. <br />
<br />
But, as stated before, you don't (or more rightfully, your son doesn't) have any grounds for a...

JoeInVille
06-21-09, 10:39 PM
Whats wrong with being a cook, being a "combat" MOS is overrated. He has a basis for something to do after the Corps. Chef's make a lot of damn money and if hes a good cook, he can be making big money in like NY in restaurants. My recruiter told me everything straight up and he told me grunts would be sucky. He was right, but I was just too mo-tard to believe him. Im sorry your son was "lied" to but his MOS isnt bad, id take it anyday.

Fievel
06-22-09, 01:06 AM
I agree that your son got what he signed up for. If he had signed "open contract" and got something else, would the recruiter still have lied and screwed your son over?

It was a roll of the dice and your son got cook. Rest assured, though, that cooks are trained just like every other Marine. He might have a cook MOS, which can transfer over to something good in the civilian sector, but he will also be trained as a rifleman.

I went into a combat MOS. It was great in the Marines, but when I got out I couldn't find anything that my MOS translated into. I was lucky to land the job I did. Your son will have a much easier time, and higher paying job, if he stays with the cook MOS and lets the Marines teach him a skill that he may end up enjoying.

Petz
06-22-09, 01:50 AM
As the good SSgt stated, General Salinas has no technical jurisdiction over recruiting affairs. The stated Marine is in command of the Recruit Depot, not the recruiting district.

Besides, as everyone else has stated:
1) You need a proper profile to get the help you are looking for on this site, ma'am.
2) You have no real grounds for a complaint. Your son wanted to be a Marine, correct? Is he or is he not training to accomplish that end? If his only goal were to get a job, he should have joined the Air Force. Getting "open contract" is not getting screwed over, it is getting exactly what was signed for. I will wager that your son did not appropriately read his contract. Had he done so, and perhaps shown it to his parents, he would better understand what was expected of him, in terms of his MOS.

hahahahaha.... what's wrong with you.... hahahaha

you make up the craziest jokes....

commdog7
06-22-09, 02:26 AM
I'm pretty sure the General has more important things to do than listen to you cry over your son's MOS choice. <br />
<br />
Most parents I know would be happy that their son is a cook and not in the infantry....