PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Our Fathers Service

DocGreek
06-20-09, 09:56 AM
:evilgrin: My Dad was a tough, and salty S.O.B. who fought his way through WWII as an R.A.F. Pilot, and Flight Instructor. April the 17th, this year, he would have celebrated his 100th Birthday!!! He was trained to, and flew Mosquito's during the early 40's, then sent to Canada, to train Pilots to fly Mosquitos. He also flew DC3's in the Middle east..."Persia" to India...with VIP's as "cargo"!! Kabul to Karachi...he called it the "crotch of the world"! I'll add a pic of a Mosquito here. I miss you, Dad!....DOC

sscjoe
06-20-09, 02:53 PM
My Dad joined the Navy in 1943 and was a gunner on Helldivers off of the USS Hollandia. After the war he shipped out on the USS Valley Forge. Got out of the Navy in 1950 and joined the Air Force went to Korea in 51? Stayed in the Air Force until his retirement in 1965. Happy Fathers Day Pops. Still alive and kicking at 83 yrs.

txrona
06-20-09, 03:39 PM
My dad was exempt from the military because he worked in the oil industry he went to the C.C.C. camp and, said that he might as well have been in the military it was just as bad. But I still miss him. He would have been 114.
:cry::beer:

sparkie
06-20-09, 03:48 PM
My dad lost a thumb and 2 fingers early, so never did make the military. He did however work for Diebold safes, making armor for tanks during WW11. 'Course he lost his job when real men came home. There was no 'Hire the Handicapped' back then. Spent the rest of his life as a janitor, never really had a chance. Still, he was a hell of a man, and worked his azz off for us. Would have been 99 this Oct. I miss him more than all the rest.

SlingerDun
06-20-09, 05:32 PM
...he went to the C.C.C....The fruits of those kids labor for 5 dollars per month was it? is still abundant here in the PacNW; service roads, groomed hiking trails, stone tunnels and guard rails, second generation hand planted forest etc...http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif My pops is still here, i'm a lucky boy and i know it:cool:

--->Dave

echo3oscar1833
06-20-09, 06:11 PM
My Dad served in the Marine Corps in the late 70's and early to mid 80's. He served in the Communications Electronics MOS. He served as a Platoon Sgt. at Twenty-Nine Palms at the Communications Electronics School. He is still kicking it, and is proud of every minute he served. Semper Fi Dad, and Happy Fathers Day:marine:

sparkie
06-20-09, 06:30 PM
Echo3,,,,, why isn't he here? I'm a comm Marine too. You know we'd entertain him. Anyway,,,,I'm glad he's with you. It means more than you know.

echo3oscar1833
06-20-09, 06:34 PM
Echo3,,,,, why isn't he here? I'm a comm Marine too. You know we'd entertain him. Anyway,,,,I'm glad he's with you. It means more than you know.

Ive tried to get him on the site, but he dosn't care much for computers, funny considering what is MOS used to be haha.:D

sparkie
06-20-09, 06:38 PM
Tell him there's a 2841 ready to talk to him.

echo3oscar1833
06-20-09, 07:01 PM
Tell him there's a 2841 ready to talk to him.

Will do brother:marine:

DocGreek
06-21-09, 05:51 AM
Happy Father's Day To Everyone!!!....doc

redman1
06-21-09, 06:21 AM
Happy Fathers Day to all our dads
Thank them for there time in service or just time being our dads
My dad was in the Army in WWII and was in Kora and Japan
He pass about 8 years ago and would have been 83 this past Feb
Doc Thanks for starting this thread
Semper Fi to all Redman1

mcvet57103
06-21-09, 09:31 AM
My Pop was a Cpl who served Active from 1954 to 1956. MCRD San Diego, 0311 and Motor-T. A tour at Camp Fuji Japan as the CGs driver, and Camp Pendleton. Then IRR till 1960. He went to final formation in March of 1999. He was my best friend, and mentor all my life, and continues to be to this day. Semper Fi Pa, miss you and can't wait till we are together again.

LCPLE3
06-21-09, 02:11 PM
My father was drafted for the Army during the Korean War but got sent to Germany for occupation duty. He would have been 82 now. I miss him alot.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b38/lcple3/Ken044.jpg

mcvet57103
06-21-09, 03:45 PM
Me and Pa at the Sioux Falls airport. Leaving for Camp Pendleton to await my flight to Okinawa. I was just a lowly Private then.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt108/mcvet57103/My%20Old%20Marine%20Corps%20Photos/LeavingforOkinawaJune19752.jpg

Rocky C
06-21-09, 04:36 PM
My Dad was a Navy Korean War Veteran.
One Proud Sailor!!!
I could listen to him tell me stories for hours and hours and still do Long Distance :)
He is a Retirerd Teamsters Union Boss from Rhode Island, in Great Health and at 76, he can still Kick My Azz!!!
Happy Fathers Day Pop.
My Hero, my Best Friend and My DAD.
I Love You xoxo

Rowdy1948
06-21-09, 06:01 PM
Happy Fathers day to all you Fathers out there.

MLMonk
06-21-09, 09:13 PM
My Dad was a Captain during the Vietnam war and flew the B-52's, said he did over 150 sorties, and earned a Distinguished Flying Cross, only asked him twice on how he got it, just said "some mission over Hanoi". Spent 6 years in the Air Force, and still is one hell of a pilot. Sadly, out of my 2 brothers, I think I am the only one who has respect for what he has done.

Semper Fi, Dad.

FOBU
06-21-09, 10:12 PM
i was very fortunate,,my dad was a korean army vet and a great father,,,but i also had a tremendous step-dad..he also was an army vet,,retired as a police officer..
both sadly have passed on,,not a day goes by that i dont think of them or use something they taught me..

mcvet57103
06-22-09, 05:38 PM
Had a Fathers Day meal for my retired Marine SSgt father-in-law. After the meal I made a comment about all the Nam Vets on this site. He suddenly started telling us about his ordeal after being wounded at the Citidel. Took a chunk of shrapnel from a motor in the neck. While at the hospital he stepped outside to have a smoke, and no sooned went back inside when a motor hit the two guys he was just smoking with. Then the hospital took a round and deflated. We don't get him to talk much about his two tourds, but when he does he really tells some good ones. SF

OleDoc
06-23-09, 12:25 PM
My father was in he Army and served post WWII in occupied Japan. He would have turned 83 this coming August. Miss ya Dad!.

'Fair Winds and Following Seas'