PDA

View Full Version : Starbucks

g0glw
06-19-09, 11:23 AM
Hi All,
There is an e-mail circulating in the UK re Starbucks not supporting the troops in Afghanistan, and that Starbucks is being booted off several bases in the USA.
Can anyone shed any light on this?

Regards.

Geoff.

yellowwing
06-19-09, 11:30 AM
Its a bogus urban legend (http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/starbucks.asp).

ArtyOps
06-19-09, 11:30 AM
I've seen the same thing circulate around in the US as well. I can tell you it's not true. Just because a unit sends a letter but doesn't get any coffee doesn't mean they don't support our troops. I've walked into several Starbucks while I was in Southern california and seen Thank you letters from troops with pictures. Just because companies don't give stuff out for free doesn't mean they don't support our troops.

commdog7
06-19-09, 11:37 AM
I'm not surprised. I worked with a Marine a few years ago who was boycotting Starbucks for this very reason. He was on one of the initial deployments to Iraq in 2003, his unit sent letters to major corporations asking them for support. Each one of them responded and sent gifts to the Marines, with the exception of Starbucks. Instead, Starbucks sent them a letter stating it wanted to be neutral in the war against terror and therefore it would not support the troops.

Starbucks will take our business, but they will not help us out.

ArtyOps
06-19-09, 12:03 PM
That's exactly what I'm talking about.

yellowwing
06-19-09, 12:09 PM
I'm not surprised. I worked with a Marine a few years ago who was boycotting Starbucks for this very reason. He was on one of the initial deployments to Iraq in 2003, his unit sent letters to major corporations asking them for support. Each one of them responded and sent gifts to the Marines, with the exception of Starbucks. Instead, Starbucks sent them a letter stating it wanted to be neutral in the war against terror and therefore it would not support the troops.

Starbucks will take our business, but they will not help us out.
Did you actually see this letter? :nerd:

commdog7
06-19-09, 12:38 PM
Did you actually see this letter? :nerd:

Negative. I heard it from the Marine who saw it.

g0glw
06-19-09, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the replies fella's.
I received the e-mail after it was forwarded about 6 times.
I think its time to treat it as crap until we hear it from the horse's mouth.
I'll have a chat next time I'm down at Commando Training Centre.
Regards to All.
Anyone still serving...Look after yourselves...Come home safe.

Geoff
RM22606 - 1963-1971.

ArtyOps
06-19-09, 02:22 PM
Negative. I heard it from the Marine who saw it.

We all did. In other words you've been duped (or at least the Marine who saw it was).

Integrity57
06-19-09, 03:39 PM
Hell we have two Starbucks locations on NASP here, the staff and students all really appreciate having one so close, but I've never heard their stance on the current conflicts, but I did hear something similar about Target, and something about them being French owned but it's all scuttlebutt really.

ArtyOps
06-22-09, 05:16 AM
Not to mention there are about a dozen if not more Starbucks on Camp Pendleton.

temarti
06-22-09, 06:17 AM
Heard it from a Marine who, heard it from.... is the way most of these urban myths get started. Take what the hot topic is, twist it so that it appears to be realistic as well as pull at emotions and... bang you have a hit going from one in box to another.

There are plenty of Starbucks on the bases today, they do not discriminate either, Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine's have them.

Supersquishy
06-22-09, 06:25 AM
I brew my one quality coffee, I bought one of those "vacuum thermos" stainless steel that will hold a pot of coffee, I would fill it in the morning, bring it to work and share it for who ever need it. Listen to this, 24 hours later if I didn't use it all, it would STILL be piping hot!
ohh and it cost me less than a buck to make a pot.

Gunner 0313
06-22-09, 09:15 AM
:flag:I heard that Starbucks is going to start handing out a tube of KY with every purchase.

ggyoung
06-22-09, 01:53 PM
A few years ago I went on a "Tiger Cruise" with my Navy Son on the CVN 72. In the mess hall was this big sibe that said "CVN 72 proudly serves Starbucks coffee.

phillyb24
06-23-09, 11:43 PM
I remeber hearing this when we were in Iraq in 2003. I still boycott them!!! and i tell everybody to do the same. I will always support Crystal - they are a local company that makes a hot sauce we all like. we wrote them when we ran out and they sent boxes and boxes of hot sauce ,ketchup, mustard. All they said was" thank you! send us a picture if ya can"

ArtyOps
06-24-09, 05:20 AM
It's a proven rumor that I cannot believe still exists. I've walked into several Starbucks in SoCal that had pictures of Marines in Iraq proudly holding up thier bags of Starbucks coffee. This is just a rumor, always has been.

You're actually boycotting a company that does support our troops.

JWDevilDog
06-24-09, 05:37 AM
Integrity57, when the h*ll did you get promoted? Sh*t man, sorry I didn't notice before. Well, congratulations. Now just get your FMF pin, if you don't already have it.

Gunner 0313
06-24-09, 08:55 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41B2kURP-tL._SL500_AA275_.gif

:thumbup:I'll have to start buying their hot sauce now.

ggyoung
06-24-09, 10:36 AM
Did you know that the McIlhenny Co. the makers of Tabasco pepper sauce that one of the grandsons was a Marine Col. in the 0200 MOS during WW2.

Gunner 0313
06-24-09, 12:28 PM
Did you know that the McIlhenny Co. the makers of Tabasco pepper sauce that one of the grandsons was a Marine Col. in the 0200 MOS during WW2.

:flag:Interesting fact. That's the hot sauce that I usually have on hand. I guess I'll stock two now.