PDA

View Full Version : Youths find fun, discipline in Young Marines

thedrifter
06-19-09, 08:23 AM
Youths find fun, discipline in Young Marines
Graduation ceremony held for boot camp program for ages 8-14

By ZACH BENOIT
Of The Gazette Staff
After three months of boot camp and countless hours of work, 14 area youngsters stood in front of a crowd of more than 100 friends, family and Marines, beaming and sporting their camouflage uniforms for the first time as Young Marines.

At a boot camp graduation ceremony Thursday night at the Armed Forces Reserve Center, 2917 Gabel Road., the kids were honored as full-fledged Young Marines, joining a group of about 60 others who have graduated in the past four years.

"I carry myself better knowing I'm a Young Marine now," said Tyler Brady, 16. "It sets a good example."

The Young Marines is a nationwide program, sponsored in large part by the Marine Corps League, designed to promote healthy development of youth ages 8 to 18. It focuses on physical development, moral choices, academic performance and good behavior at home.

"It provides discipline and it gives you a sense of purpose," said Anthony Kuchynka, 14. "Things that teach you life lessons. Plus, it's just a lot of fun."

To graduate, the recruits took part in more than 12 weeks of physical training, drills, history lessons, team exercises and community service. They donated their time and efforts to events and groups all over the area, including the Women's Run and Heart and Sole Run, worked on behaving at home, learned about living drug-free and dealing with peer pressure, Young Marines Adjutant Lorraine Wright said.

At the ceremony, they were congratulated for their efforts.

"This is a great, great night and an accomplishment for the men and women here," Marine Corps Capt. Seth Nicholson told the graduates. "You've developed a bond with the boy or girl to the left or right of you that most people your age don't have."

Graduates and parents alike said there is a noticeable difference in the Young Marines once they get through the program. Two of Tyler's brothers, Kyle and Alex Brady, also graduated Thursday. All three boys said their confidence levels and respect for others has grown since they started the program, even though it was difficult at times.

"The best part is I can do so many things I couldn't do before it," said Kyle, 12.

They will now be expected to take on more duties within the Young Marines, including leadership roles and helping to run future classes.

"It teaches leadership," said Wilber Jensen, executive officer of the Billings Young Marines. "They can't help but come out of boot camp with a tremendous amount of respect."

The Brady boys' stepfather, Christopher Rowan, sees those effects every day.

"They walk pretty straight," he said. "You should see 'em stand tall now."

Ellie