PDA

View Full Version : To Nuclear/Biological/Chemical Marines:

ChrisWood311
06-19-09, 08:01 AM
Or those that know one:
I am in the DEP and my current ship date is 11022009. Out of my 3 MOS choices, N/B/C is the only one looking promising. Ive read a couple of vague descriptions about what these Marines do, but I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on some more details, such as but not limited to:
-What do you guys do, exactly? Like, conduct training? HAZMAT stuff?
-What do you do when deployed?
-How long is the MOS school?
-What kind of job oppurtunities could there be in the civilian world with the training?
I am just curious as to what I would actually be doing haha.
Thank you, Marines.

Petz
06-20-09, 03:22 PM
ok, first it's NBC not N/B/C ... that would mean you can choose any one and use just that one.

-ok they train Marines for NBC situations nothing to do with HAZMAT that I know of.
-they deploy with their units... they are usually at battalion level and work alone (but for senior Marines... you would also advise commanders of NBC related info)
-you do the same job as you did in garrison but you work at the command post or where ever you are needed... sometimes you are consolidated but it all depends on the needs of the Corps
-no idea, doesn't matter as you will walk through a chamber of VX gas (the stuff from the movie 'the rock') after watching what it does to animals... all while wearing military MOPP gear... fun stuff
-a Top Secret clearance (I think... maybe just secret) with that kind of training could get jobs at certain government agencys... you'd have to do the leg work... and have a degree.

with all that said, all the NBC Marines I've personally known are very intelligent people... all respected, serious and dependable... if you are not I ask you don't bother with this MOS as you'll inadvertently get Marines killed.

hope this answered your question.

ChrisWood311
06-20-09, 06:26 PM
Thank you, sir.

jr08toy
06-22-09, 01:33 PM
Or those that know one:
I am in the DEP and my current ship date is 11022009. Out of my 3 MOS choices, N/B/C is the only one looking promising. Ive read a couple of vague descriptions about what these Marines do, but I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on some more details, such as but not limited to:
-What do you guys do, exactly? Like, conduct training? HAZMAT stuff?
-What do you do when deployed?
-How long is the MOS school?
-What kind of job oppurtunities could there be in the civilian world with the training?
I am just curious as to what I would actually be doing haha.
Thank you, Marines.
As a 5711, I can shed some light on this subject. First off, I have been out for three years at this point but am still on IRR so this whole thing with North Korea is troublesome. Let's start at the beginning. NBC School. You will attend 5711 school at Fort Leonard, Missouri. You will have to study your ass off. There is a LOT of knowledge that you have to absorb very rapidly. Double fail just one test and you're dropped. There are a lot of tests. You will actually go through the Army's live chemical agent test facility where there will be live nerve agent in the chamber with you. This is done because in order for you to train Marines in the use of MOPP gear, you need to know its capabilities. Graduating from NBC school, you will be assigned to any unit. As a 5711, I conducted gas chambers, taught NBC classes, PM'ed our NBC gear and worked closly with our S2 to keep up with current intel/affairs. I held DoD Secret Clearance and it will come in handy when/if you choose to EAS. You will work jointly with all branches of the military and even with foreign military. Still sound like an exciting job? Good, because it is...

ChrisWood311
06-22-09, 01:51 PM
Still sound like an exciting job? Good, because it is...[/quote]
That sounds awesome! Thanks for the information, Sergeant.

Petz
06-22-09, 03:17 PM
I should fvcking haze the crap out of you for calling me a Sgt....

I want you to learn the rank structure and you better hope to god I get that list from you by the end of the day... from private to Commandant with all the billets each one can hold.

consider this your education...

jr08toy
06-22-09, 03:24 PM
SSgt,

I believe that was directed to me.

S/F

ChrisWood311
06-22-09, 03:27 PM

I want you to learn the rank structure and you better hope to god I get that list from you by the end of the day... from private to Commandant with all the billets each one can hold.

My apologies Staff Sergeant but that was directed at the Sergeant who posted underneath where I said "Thank you, sir" to you.
I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Petz
06-22-09, 03:27 PM
hahaha... I must have scrolled over your entire post!! sorry poolee

jr08toy
06-22-09, 03:33 PM

ChrisWood311,

You still owe the SSgt the rank structure. You will learn that NCO's and SNCO's are NEVER wrong. Push...

Petz
06-22-09, 04:28 PM
hahaha... it's ok, I'm man enough to know when I was too quick to post...

it's all good, though I'll accept it and critique it if you feel up to the challenge.

Lisa 23
06-22-09, 05:39 PM
OK jr08toy......why does your profile say that your rank is an E-1 and yet you have Sgt. as you avitar.....

About jr08toy......
Rank ......E-1
Year Entered Marine Corps ......2002
Year Exited Marine Corps ........Still in Service

.......and please fill out the rest of your profile so the rest of us Marines know who we are talking to.

Lisa 23
06-22-09, 05:58 PM
Thanks for filling out the rest of your profile jr08toy. :thumbup:

jr08toy
06-22-09, 05:58 PM
OK jr08toy......why does your profile say that your rank is an E-1 and yet you have Sgt. as you avitar.....

About jr08toy......
Rank ......E-1
Year Entered Marine Corps ......2002
Year Exited Marine Corps ........Still in Service

.......and please fill out the rest of your profile so the rest of us Marines know who we are talking to.

Listen PFC,

While you're busy writing on forum boards, I'm busy with work. I didn't have the time to update my profile with all the info needed. It is Sergeant and just because I'm not active right now, doesn't mean I can't find your NCO's, get my drift? I've already done my country service while you're just starting yours. Go PT...

jr08toy
06-22-09, 06:13 PM
Didn't mean to stomp a mud-hole... Apologies.

S/F

:iwo:

Lisa 23
06-22-09, 06:16 PM
Listen PFC,

While you're busy writing on forum boards, I'm busy with work. I didn't have the time to update my profile with all the info needed. It is Sergeant and just because I'm not active right now, doesn't mean I can't find your NCO's, get my drift? I've already done my country service while you're just starting yours. Go PT...

Sgt., my post was only meant to have your profile corrected, that's all. There's been some "posers" coming on board here and rather think that you were one, I thought I would let you know to update your profile. If you feel that I have offended you in any way, my apologies.

I've been out of the Marines for 20 years now. My Marine Corps career was cut short due to a broken ankle that I suffered while I was in Okinawa.....had problems and that's that.