PDA

View Full Version : Career Conundrum

GIrene
06-18-09, 10:31 PM
I'm looking for some advice and I think here is as good as any place to get it. Especially considering the subject.

So its getting nigh on that time. I EAS July 31, 2010. So its about a year and a month out. Naturally we got our little re-up brief and to be honest, I was thinking of it anyways.

So I go in, and start asking questions, I want to all the info I can, I like making informed choices rather than blind ones. But, I gotta go with what I can get.

A month later and boom I've got a re-up package started. Sadly the incentives for us FY2010ers aren't out yet. So I have no full idea whats going on but we've been working with the standard fare:

1. Transfer to another unit. Very very appealing. I want to get back with my old unit again, or at least another one and make another deployment *somewhere* VMFAT-101 is a pilot training command, we don't go anywhere. And I missed an Iraq deployment with my old unit since we were over TO in my MOS (6257). I was one of the lucky winners who got cut.

2. Defer to stay in 101 for a year while I decide what to do for sure. This actually could have benefits for later.

3. LAT move. This didn't appeal to me at first and then one of my friends from back home (who honestly hasn't done one smart thing in his life) advised me to look into the Intel field. 0211 (Counterintel/HUMINT) looks very interesting and seems like a very very excellent career choice and a big challenge to boot. So its one of the few jobs I'd consider moving in and decided to make that a COA I would pursue. The CRS said it sounds good and we started working towards that.

Then I started hitting snags.

#1. This is one I need answered from anyone whose had a SSBI done for a LAT move: The CRS and one of the Intel peeps in my unit seem to think I need to have the SSBI *complete* before attending MOS School. From what the order says it says submitted, which I understand means that the forms are turned into the the right people to be processed by them and the FBI to do its interviews. Well I'm told that the approval from Group can take 3-4+ months while they screw around losing it and letting it sit on desks and then another 3-4+ months for the actual investigation. So the CRS thinks that cuts it a bit close to my EAS to guarantee me what I want and what not. But I just don't think its true. Regardless she wanted me to think about other options and if I'm serious I can transfer to another unit for two years and get ready for the move then or defer for a year and do the same. I think I'm still capable of doing it by the order. Anyone with experience in this care to comment?

#2. I hate to say it but I'm now well on my way to becoming a BCP/Remdial fatbody. I could play the blame game all day and in the end I still gained weight since November of 08. I weighed in at 222 in May (18lbs over my max) and my paperwork has been doing the bounce around while I lost 10lbs in 2 1/2 weeks. I'm only another 10 to go with around 21% body fat. I finally signed my P11 and its getting routed to the Skipper. Now I brought up after the fact that the PFT/BCP/MAP order says as soon as you are within standards you are released from the BCP/MAP. I guess Ops has its loopholes and essentially when the CO signs the dotted line I'm in it for 6 months. I could run a 300 PFT and weigh 150lbs next week but I'm Remedial PT for 6 months. If I known that I would have written a formal yet useless rebuttal. Regardless I think the only solution to this is to suck it up. I let myself get there so I gots to pay. Currently I weigh 212lbs with 22% Body fat (standards are 202lbs for my height and 18% body fat). I'm sure I could have "cheated it" as lots of other Marines suggested but I want this weight loss to be natural, no use hurting myself to get rid of it in the short-term just to have it come back, it wouldn't make any sense. Besides I'm pushing back towards my post-Boot weight of 180 or so. A nutrtionist said statistically ideal for people my height/size is 178 so its a very realistic goal.

But the negatives (as I'm sure you'll all notice) are:

1. Can't reenlist on BCP.
2. I want to attend PME's to look better down the road. Hopefully when I'm in standards and what not I can get a waiver for the Remedial crap and go to Cpl's Course (not needed I know, I just want to go)
3. I'm very close to picking up Sergeant. Not going to happen.
4. I wanted to follow up ASAP with Sgt's Course.
5. Since I wanted to do MSG (this was crushed with a neurological condition I have, I'm full duty, but they say I need to be able to be provided with care, which just ain't gonna happen unless I cure. Dystonia has no cure) I wanted to go to Jump School if they offered it. Mainly a just for kicks thing since I can't do what I *really* wanted to do. Can't go there on Remedial.
6. I wanted to hit Cpl's Course this late summer/fall. I can't now unless I ninja my way in, and probably come January 2010, I'll have been off of remedial and probably be picking up. (This one isn't *that* big of a deal compared to others)
7. My timeline for anything is essentially slid back to December/January.

I *want* to re-up. The economical situation has left a sour taste in my mouth and honestly I'd love to go back home. But Illinois and the central part especially has been hard hit in these times. Even more, one of the main reasons I went into a depression, my mom and dad have been at odds with each other and I'm a family man. I put my family before anyone else, but it may be that I have no family to go back to. Thankfully, the reason I'm getting motivated and losing the weight, is I learned to put that aside despite how much I care and make decisions that are best for *me* and will put me in a position to succeed down the road.

Thanks!

Wyoming
06-18-09, 11:48 PM
... at your age .... WAIT, kidding.

I understand nothing of what you are saying, but, have you thought of being a DI?

... and get off of the pitty-patty fat body sheeit. Make it happen.

GIrene
06-18-09, 11:51 PM
Ouch DI. Thats a toughie. I mean I've thought about it but thats a loooong hard road. With lots of payoff though.

MotherGoose
06-19-09, 08:36 AM
The only advice I can offer is about the SSBI. My (now ex) husband lat moved from 0341 into Intel and his SSBI wasn't completed until about 4 months after he had arrived at his 1st duty station as an 0241 (so that was after MOS school in San Angelo, TX).

That was 2002-2003, things could have changed since then.

MotherGoose
06-19-09, 08:40 AM
or 0231 I don't remember exactly but he is an 02. He was a Sergeant when he lat moved in 2002 and this year he just got selected for Gunny in the o2 field.

GIrene
06-19-09, 06:54 PM
The only advice I can offer is about the SSBI. My (now ex) husband lat moved from 0341 into Intel and his SSBI wasn't completed until about 4 months after he had arrived at his 1st duty station as an 0241 (so that was after MOS school in San Angelo, TX).

That was 2002-2003, things could have changed since then.

I was under the impression because it says *submit* rather than complete. Not to mention MSG students SSBI is usually ongoing while they are attending school...

jackson07
06-19-09, 07:28 PM
Each intel school is different. Call the CI recruiter on your base. Simple as that. Lat moving to 0211 isn't as simple as putting in a package. You also have to pass the board.

smadge
06-19-09, 07:31 PM
Ask yourself these questions:

What would I do if I got out? (is there anything out there for you for the same MONEY your making?)

What is the future for the MOS you are considering moving to?

what is the future for your current MOS?

I believe the answers to these questions will give you the advise you are looking for.

PLUS; DO you like being a Marine OR, are you tired of being a Marine(active Marine)

Smadge PS, Thank you for your service to this great nation!!!

GIrene
06-19-09, 07:36 PM
Each intel school is different. Call the CI recruiter on your base. Simple as that. Lat moving to 0211 isn't as simple as putting in a package. You also have to pass the board.
Someone linked me up with an article about CI from here (its how I got back to posting here actually). It had a DSN for the CI recruiter for west coast. I was thinking of getting into contact with them. Naturally I have many questions about what I have to do and what I'm getting myself into if I make it.

Some Marines in my command said that I should bring my case up the chain and see if I can work a deal with the highers to see if I can show them I can easily drop this weight and then some, better myself, and possibly avoid the 6 month BS. I believe they are right, it is CO's discretion. What they haven't showed him is that the date of the Remedial/BCP paperwork is the 3rd. THey are just routing it now, I've all ready lost a good chunk of weight in these few weeks.

GIrene
06-22-09, 03:14 PM
Well thanks for the advice everyone but it seems that my dystonia (a neurological condition) will keep me from going to this MOS. Honestly I'm not surprised at all. It held me back from MSG.

I'm full duty and fully capable of doing my current job. Is there any other MOSs that I can look into doing?

GIrene
06-28-09, 06:36 PM
Quick question. Through what means are Reup incentives usually given out? Through an ALMAR? <br />
<br />
I've decided to stick in in my MOS and try and get back into a deployable unit and get one or two more...

ELTOROLOCO
06-29-09, 08:32 PM
It looks like you'll make the best decision for yourself regarding incentives. Your biggest problem now is the BCP program. It'll still follow you after you pick up Sergeant. I recommend you push yourself to a new limit as far as your fitness. One thing boards look is your history, and if anything negative, they want to see how you recovered.

GIrene
06-29-09, 08:39 PM
It looks like you'll make the best decision for yourself regarding incentives. Your biggest problem now is the BCP program. It'll still follow you after you pick up Sergeant. I recommend you push yourself to a new limit as far as your fitness. One thing boards look is your history, and if anything negative, they want to see how you recovered.

Thats what a former Jarhead offered me as advice and he's right. He essentially said, "Go into it and make every minute of it worth your life, you want to come outta there running a PFT a good 30 points higher AT LEAST and maintain your fitness and it will look good on you for at least turning it all around."

I plan on and have been doing just that. Its barely been a month and I dropped from the 222 to a weigh in at 209 today. I've been dropping 3 lbs a week and its all natural, plain old diet and excercise. No gimmicks needed. If I keep going I think I'll be able to hit my goal of 180 or less and in the meanwhile make my PFT score go up.

Its just a pain that the Remedial and non-recc has to stick for 6 months no matter my fitness level. Which puts my reenlistment and very soonish promotion on hold. I found out I can still attend PMEs if I meet composition standards but Ops told me it'd be the SgtMaj's call if he really wanted to send me or not while still being a remedial.

I've had a few fellow Marines tell me if I do get my butt in gear and start turning things from UNSAT to Excellent that I should possibly think about going up the chain and informing them about my retention and see what the SgtMaj and possibly CO will say. I don't think thats necessary nor possible. Its a punishment and I'm sucking it up and turning it out for the best. Believe me if I feel that my ability to retain is threatened heavily I can see but I don't want to make a "woe is me" wave with it.

GIrene
07-22-09, 11:32 PM
update of sorts:

My reup package is still in work which is bad because they opened up FY10 reups early... like 2 weeks ago. The only thing holding me back now is my physical. I need to get a followup with my neurologist to ensure I am clear for duty in the long term. Only problem is the earliest appointment is the 18th. Thats an entire month! With boatspaces filling up thats not where I want to be.

The weight is shedding off and I even had to go see the SgtMaj to sign another Page 11 or something I don't really know what... because despite the gloom and doom that everyone else said he gave them ("He threatened to take rank!" "He called me fat!" etc etc) I came in, reported in, he asked me some questions, I answered, he said dismissed. My Gunny caught up with me and told me that in the SgtMaj's eyes I was good to go, I sure as heck didn't look like a fat body and I'd never failed a PFT. Just lose the weight or the fat. Probably the fat. My weight went up and my Fat % dropped by 4. So I'm building some killer muscle. I think its mostly in my legs though from all the running.

So Corporal's Course and Reenlisting seem like go's from where I'm standing currently as long as I get the package in. I will probably return to either my old unit in 314 or another Miramar fixed wing unit and probably have 242 as another option, going back to Japan wouldn't be so bad. I think in the long term I may try to go 0231 and get into normal intel or stay wing and go Non Destructive Inspector.

Though the idea of applying for Warrant Officer in the long run appeals to me heavily. I need to whip my mind and body into shape for that though but I think its a challenge I may want to look into :D

GIrene
08-22-09, 12:24 AM
Okay. So awesome status update.

Saw my neurologist, he cleared me for duty. I currently weigh 202 exactly and I'm still dropping like a rock. So I can get S-3 to sign my paperwork off.

I have to wait for the examining Doctor to get back off of leave next week so he can sign the paperwork he practically finished now that I'm in the clear. After that its walking/routing through the CoC.

I don't think its a good time for a LAT move just yet, I really would like to get another deployment under my belt while in this MOS.

GIrene
08-27-09, 07:06 PM
Nother update. S-3 signed off, saw my exam Doctor and managed to get "Recommend with Confidence" from the SNCOIC and Division Officer. I saw that coming my lack of a certain qualification in the airwing (CDI, I lost my quals in my PCA and they mucked up my Level III signoffs that I have to redo), and my 2nd class PFT being the only things holding me back.

Knowing how the Master Guns and the Maintenance Officer think they will most likely go this same route and I know the Sergeant Major, XO, and CO will follow suit. Its better than nothing and both are things that can be improved or taken care of unlike something irreversible like a NJP.