PDA

View Full Version : Marines at work - just doing our job Ma'am

Airfares
06-18-09, 05:46 PM
This was a great email from a friend - a retired Marine 1st Sgt and thought I'd share it with all of my Brothers and Sisters ...

MARINES AT WORK - Those Go*damn Marines

I wonder how many times during Operation Iraqi Freedom that the phrase "Go*damn Marines" was uttered. Even in the best of times, Army and Air Force officers have been heard muttering some epithet about Marines, invoking either heaven or hell. Interesting enough we Marines find it all rather reassuring and, at times amusing. Most of the time, Marines do not go out of our way to be obnoxious, we are just doing what Marines have done for over 200 years.

A good example is the fact that Marines always raise the American flag over mountains or cities they have conquered. From Nassau in the Bahamas, to Mount Suribachi, to the City of Hue, to Kuwait City, to Baghdad, their farms, homes, business and work places. U.S. Marines have raised the Stars and Stripes in the latter examples, much to the chagrin of higher headquarters, city and state governments. You don't get these kind of problems with the Army.

So what is it about the U.S. Marines that they stick U.S. flags on everything and do more with less, a less that is old or an Army hand-me-down?

We call it "Esprit de Corps", but it goes deeper than that. We learn and maintain myths of the past, which also means living up to those historical examples. Marine Corps boot camp is the longest of all the services; it is where we mold young men and women into the mythical image called a Marine.

You can be in the Army, you can join the Air Force, but you become a Marine. All of the other uniformed services have a song; the U.S. Marines have a hymn. The basic pattern of the Marine Corps uniform comes from the late nineteenth century; our emblem "the Eagle, Globe and Anchor" has remained largely unchanged since 1868. The buttons on our dress blues, whites and greens date back to the founding of our Corps. The Marine Corps is the only service that requires its officers to carry a sword, whose pattern dates back to 1805.

I think that the path of being a Marine was established long ago. On the 10th of November 1775, the Marine Corps was first established ... in a tavern. To this day, no matter where they're at in the world, Marines celebrate the founding of our beloved Corps, much to the confusion of the other services.

A few years ago, a Congresswoman from Colorado felt the Marine Corps was radical and extreme. She contended that the Marine Corps was not politically correct, nor did we seem to be part of the Department of Defense's transition to a "kinder and gentler" military ... she was correct, and the Marine Corps took it as a compliment!

But the proof is in the doing, and during Iraqi Freedom the Marines demonstrated what Marines can do. I watched with some amusement as a reporter asked a young lance corporal about being in Iraq and being under rifle fire.

"Love it, sir!" was his response. The reporter was taken aback and asked "No, really.." The Marine then tried to explain that this is what he was trained to do, he looked forward to doing it and was now happy to be doing it. No doubt in boot camp he was told that he was "a minister of death praying for war." Contrast that with the Army Apache pilots who said that if they had to take a life, they would do it reluctantly. You are either a warrior or not. Killing is not pleasure, it is survival.

Marines are mission oriented. Live or die, the most important thing to a Marine is accomplishing the mission. Whether taking a bridge, river or town, accomplishing the mission is the holy grail of being a Marine. How the mission is accomplished is not so important, as it is expected of all Marines to accomplish the mission with the tools available. This is why we heard that Marines in one engagement were fighting with knives and bayonets. This was hardly high tech, but it was effective. These Marines now have bragging rights, for they have proven that they talk-the-talk and walk-the-walk. I doubt there is a single Marine who is not envious.

Marines are practical, as well. I enjoyed hearing two reporters interviewing each other, one embedded with the Army, the other with the Marines. The reporter with the Army noted that the sandstorm had blown down many of the solders' cots. The other reporter countered that the Marines did not have this problem because they slept on the ground. The Marine learns to live with what he can carry on his back. He expects to be moved about the battlefield via his two leather Cadillacs (boots). If he is lucky and gets to ride on an amtrack, so much the better; but is not expected.

At the end of a mission, the priority for cleaning is weapon, then equipment and finally, body. When the other services talk about "quality of life," they are referring to housing, clubs and food. Marines are talking about better weapons, equipment and training, winning the battle and coming home alive is considered "quality of life."

All this translates into combat power. In comparison to the U.S. Army's 3rd Infantry Division, the Marines of I Marine Expeditionary Force were lightly equipped ... yet, they battled through the heart of Iraq , fought to the center of Baghdad and then moved off to Tikrit, taking that city as well.

The press was so enamored with the Marines that in the final days of the war they even credited the Marines with deeds actually accomplished by the Army. Little wonder we heard "Go*damn Marines!" so often.

So we need to give the Marines some slack when they do something politically incorrect, such as raising the flag or appearing insensitive when killing the enemy.

In the field, they look sloppy compared to the Army, but are aggressive in the attack and generally unhappy in the defense. Marines take pride in their work, even when that work is war.

We are just Marines at work - and that is what we do.

Being a Marine isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing.:usmc::iwo:

pooleeDavis
07-11-09, 12:03 PM
That gave me pride just to have decided to be a Marine. It makes me have pride to say im a Marine Corps poolee

Thank you Marines YOU ARE OUR INSPARATION:flag:

JWDevilDog
07-11-09, 01:53 PM
A good post.

pooleeDavis, you are in the wrong area. We all appreciate your thanks and words, but you are posting in the Marine only section. Please don't let it happen again.

Ray Manker
07-11-09, 07:30 PM
and please, learn to spell.

William Hardy
07-12-09, 07:41 AM
As a person whoes father served in the Navy during WWII, and later served in the Army and was transferred to the Air Force when it was created....as a person who grew up on both Air Force and Army posts...As a person who served over 11 years in the Corps and 13 years in the Army National Guard...as a person who served in Vietnam and in Iraq...I can say without a doubt that the Marine Corps does it differently. Boot camp is about discipline and physical and mental training and an excellent job is done. Once a Marine, always a Marine.

I have seen that same type of pride in certain Army groups such as the soldiers at Ft. Bragg, NC, but it is not universal. In the Corps it is universal. Every Marine feels it..we are all brothers and sisters and the Corpsmen who join us feel it. Only the Navy comes close to having that universal pride, but it is not half of what Marines feel.

This was a great post. Thanks for sharing it.
Semper Fi

Caesar Augustus
09-17-09, 12:05 AM
Outstanding!

Good ****

ANYMOUSE
09-17-09, 12:44 AM
Sounds like you're talking about that 20% of the marine corps that actually does the "fighting". (oh snap!)

William Hardy
09-17-09, 06:23 AM
Anymouse - All Marines are 0300's...but if it were not for the every Marine doing their job, 03's would never have what they needed...be it food, clothing, equipment, comm, or intel...etc....Every MOS is critical and necessary...that's why the different MOS's exists...and you need to learn that Marine or Marine Coirps is always capitalized.
Semper Fi

Quinbo
09-17-09, 06:48 AM
All Marines are 03's ?

William Hardy
09-17-09, 08:37 PM
Yes - every Marine should know that...you are a grunt first...during our history, Marines in communications, aviation, motor t, etc. have found themselves humping the ground. Did you honestly think that every Marine coming back from the Chosin were just grunts? Did you ever hear of Wake Island and how a large number of the Marines there were aviators...mechanics, fuel handlers, etc., and some were in comm. They all fought and died as 03s in the end. It has been that way throughout our history. Some are full time 03s, others are 03s when necessary, but everyone in the Corps is taught to be an 03.

William Hardy
09-17-09, 08:39 PM
All Marines are 03's ?

Yes - every Marine should know that...you are a grunt first...during our history, Marines in communications, aviation, motor t, etc. have found themselves humping the ground. Did you honestly think that every Marine coming back from the Chosin were just grunts? Did you ever hear of Wake Island and how a large number of the Marines there were aviators...mechanics, fuel handlers, etc., and some were in comm. They all fought and died as 03s in the end. It has been that way throughout our history. Some are full time 03s, others are 03s when necessary, but everyone in the Corps is trained to be an 03. It is one of the many things that makes us different from the services.

usmchauer
09-17-09, 08:50 PM
I understand the picture you're trying to paint regarding all Marines being 0300, but that's a bit of a stretch. While I'll agree that all Marines have some formal training on the workings of an infantry unit, to call them 03 anything or a grunt is a fallacy. Riflemen yes, infantrymen no.

Quinbo
09-17-09, 08:56 PM
Every person that works at jiffy lube knows how to change oil? Well yea we gave them all a rudimentary class on oil changing so technically they all know how to change oil.

Caesar Augustus
09-18-09, 03:18 AM
I understand the picture you're trying to paint regarding all Marines being 0300, but that's a bit of a stretch. While I'll agree that all Marines have some formal training on the workings of an infantry unit, to call them 03 anything or a grunt is a fallacy. Riflemen yes, infantrymen no.

Truth. Let the 03s decide which non 03s get the title of 03 due to their performance in combat.