PDA

View Full Version : Brains meet brawn

thedrifter
06-18-09, 06:39 AM
Brains meet brawn

6/17/2009 By Sgt. Judith Carver , Marine Corps Base Quantico
MARINE CORPS BASE QUANTICO, Va. —

You wouldn’t use a sledge hammer to fix your refrigerator. Picking the right tool for the right job means understanding both the tool and the job. The Truman National Security Projects visit to Quantico on June 12 familiarized the future decision makers with the tool known as the United States Marine Corps.

The more than 120 Truman fellows who visited included veterans, security workers, policy experts, politically active individuals and community leaders in media and law. TNSP works to provide the skills, knowledge and network to generate an influential force of leaders to improve national security policy.

“It’s crucial for political leaders who are going to deploy our armed forces to understand the capabilities and culture of the services,” said Rachel Kleinfeld, the CEO and president of the Truman National Security Project.

Quantico opened its doors at the Marine Corps University, the marina in Quantico Town and The Basic School. The Truman fellows learned about every rank in the Marine Corps and how the Marine Air Ground Task Force works. At the marina, Master Sgt. Christopher Blackler and Kevin O’Brian from Raids and Recon at Marine Corps Systems Command put on a Riverine Assault Craft demonstration. And at TBS they had the opportunity to view Marine Corps vehicles, weapons and aircraft, and get a taste of Marine Corps Martial Arts.

“I thought it was important for them to see the ground truth,” said Maj. Jeff Landis, the public affairs officer for TBS. “They are being groomed for the strategic level. This helps create a common thread for a decision to have impact at the lowest level.”

The most important thing is that they’re being groomed to make important decisions in authority, said Landis. They need to truly realize what it takes to win one small war on a tactical level.

The Truman fellows will ultimately be running for office across the country, advising presidential and congressional campaigns, drafting legislation in the halls of Congress, assuming leadership posts in the military, playing key roles in local and national government and working on the front lines of America’s homeland security.

“It helps me to gain a perspective about the Marine Corps and our posture and policy making so we’re better informed about how the military conducts itself,” said Hamid Khan, an attorney and professor at the University of Colorado Law School. “It’s vital [to be here] because not everyone in my position gets the opportunity to experience the military front and center.”

“For me, it’s trying to get my head around the military. It exposes me to a culture I would like a better understanding of,” said Charles London, a freelance writer and author of One Day the Soldier Came: Voices of Children in War.

“I’ve always had an interest in re-thinking how people understand the military,” said Kevin Glandon, a fourth-year law school student who previously worked for a U.S. senator. “Ultimately I think there is a lot that can be done to ensure [the military] has the resources they need.”

“We plan to visit the other branches. We would love to come back to Quantico,” said Kleinfeld.

For more information about the Truman National Security Project visit, www.trumanproject.org.

-Correspondent: judith.carver@usmc.mil

Ellie