PDA

View Full Version : PSEP Package Questions...

stang0480
06-16-09, 10:55 PM
I recently submitted my package to come back into The Marines as an 0451 Airborne / Parachute Rigger. I got out in 2002 as an E-4 with a clean record. Haven't had any problems with the law, no tat's, no dependents, nothing negative at all. Just wondering if anyone had any solid info on how strict HQ is being with letting guys back onboard. It is a critical MOS and was one of the few I could submit a package for, so just waiting for word back to see if it got approved or not. If anyone has any info, please let me know. Thank you, SEMPER FI ....

CPL VERS

Petz
06-17-09, 01:34 AM
um, I doubt you just submitted it as you will be denied... the Corps is not accepting PSEPers until oct 1st at which time you will compete with others for boat spaces.

the deadline to submit this year was june 1st.

read the rules and then do a search for "how do I get back in...redux" or something like that and you'll find a thread FULL of information.

stang0480
06-17-09, 05:43 PM
um, I doubt you just submitted it as you will be denied... the Corps is not accepting PSEPers until oct 1st at which time you will compete with others for boat spaces.

the deadline to submit this year was june 1st.

read the rules and then do a search for "how do I get back in...redux" or something like that and you'll find a thread FULL of information.

Sorry to disappoint SSGT. Package was sent to a monitor in Orlando Wed the 10th and forwarded to HQ Thurs the 11th. Was told by the monitor everything looked good and HQ would try to have an answer for me by the first so I can be sworn in July 1st. As far as it being denied because it was sent in to late, why would I get sent to MEPS, take a pft, and do all the paperwork for the package if my recruiter, his boss, a Gunny, and the monitor new it was past the deadline of the first of June. Not at all saying your wrong, just don't understand why they would put me through the process if they new it was beyond the deadline. Been reading alot of posts and you are obviously a very informed Staff NCO on alot of topics. Scratching my head at this point wondering if I had my time wasted. Thank you for the info and SEMPER FI... :flag:

Petz
06-17-09, 06:13 PM
I can't begin to answer that question of yours killer.

Thing is, the Marine Corps is the one who said no more PSEPers after june 1st.... if they changed their minds then good for you, otherwise your time was wasted in the hopes that since you are submitting for a hot fill you might get looked at... either way, you'll still be alive around october.

hope all works out in your favor.

as a note, my information is only as good as the guy giving it to me.

Supersquishy
06-17-09, 06:23 PM
I can't begin to answer that question of yours killer.

Thing is, the Marine Corps is the one who said no more PSEPers after june 1st.... if they changed their minds then good for you, otherwise your time was wasted in the hopes that since you are submitting for a hot fill you might get looked at... either way, you'll still be alive around october.

hope all works out in your favor.

as a note, my information is only as good as the guy giving it to me.

SSgt, with all do respect, do you have the MARADMIN stating that? I have looked for it and I might have overlooked it. That way we can post it here for all to see? Semper Fi
http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/maradmins.aspx

Petz
06-18-09, 10:44 AM
actually it was a message from HQMC to all recruiters.

I'd have to ask my recruiter for it.

besides, as I said, things change so rapidly this message could obsolete. so I'll refer you to my previous post that you quoted... right there at the bottom.

and yes, I read it so I know it exists.

stang0480
06-24-09, 03:59 PM
Just got a call from my recruiter. Turns out my package hasn't even left Orlando yet. Was told it got sent out on the 11th, but apparently not. My training info isn't coming up in the 3270 so they have no way of knowing what my rifle, pistol, swim qual was, and what awards I've received. Tried to log in on Marine online and it doesn't recognize my social. So much for swearing in on the first. Anyone have any idea were I could get this info so I can forward it to my recruiter? Trying to do whatever I can to get this process going again. Thank you. Semper Fi

CPL Vers

psyclopsus
06-26-09, 10:47 PM
SSgt, with all do respect, do you have the MARADMIN stating that? I have looked for it and I might have overlooked it. That way we can post it here for all to see? Semper Fi
http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/maradmins.aspx

I was wondering about the details of this myself and spent a couple hours going one-by-one through all of the FY08 and FY09 MARADMINS and this was the most I could find on the subject. As far as I can interpret from the messages, HQMC instituted new FTAP boat space caps (first-termer re-enlistment slots) because they exceeded retention goals this year. Also, it states that DURING FY10 prior service are restricted from re-enlisting into active duty status until 1 January 2010 (standard practice every FY.) HQMC wants to ensure that all first term Marines still on active duty that want to re-enlist can get a boat space and don't get shut-out by prior service.

Quote from MCO P1040.31J "ENLISTED RETENTION AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT MANUAL" Paragraph 6003.1

"Prior Service first term Marines will not be considered for re-enlistment during the first quarter of a Fiscal Year (FY) e.g. Oct. Nov. and Dec. This is to ensure equitable distribution of boat spaces to the first term population of the respective FY."

Also:

"Broken re-enlistments (more than 90 days after EAS) are not eligible for SRBP and date of rank becomes date of re-enlistment. ...they (broken service enlistees) should understand such a re-enlistment is based primarily on the needs of the Marine Corps and is not guaranteed."

MARADMIN 0378-09 announces upcoming details for FY10 retention needs and goes on to say that the "Broken Service Selective Re-Enlistment Bonus" program is suspended for all of FY10 unless "retention needs" warrant the re-instatement of the program, AND THEN you only qualify if there is less than a 4 year gap between your End of Active Service and your new re-up date. I also found several subsequent messages that list off MOS's that are closed for first term "Selective Re-Enlistment Bonuses" for FY09 (all the MCBUL 7220 Change 1,2,3 and 4.)

I could not find a MARADMIN that explicitly stated all prior service is cut off for the remainder of FY09. The only thing I could find was about bonuses being stopped.

I'm not saying the message doesn't exist, I'm only saying I couldn't find one. Maybe it was a message other than a MARADMIN, I don't know. Maybe if the MOS is closed for bonuses, that also means it is full on boat spaces and therefore closed for FTAP re-enlistment?

Here is a laundry list of FY09 MARADMINS on the subject to read through yourself if you like.

http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/MARADMIN0378-09.aspx
MARADMIN 0378-09 "MCBUL 7220 FISCAL YEAR 2010 (FY10) SRB PROGRAM AND FY09 BSSRB PROGRAM"
My original source for this response.

http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/MARADMIN0330-09.aspx
MARADMIN 0330-09 "FY '10 ENLISTED RETENTION GUIDELINES"
Details concerning FY10 retention and re-enlistment numbers.

http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/MARADMIN0052-09.aspx
MARADMIN 0052-09 "MCBUL 7220 CHANGE 1 TO FY09 SRB AND BSSRB PROGRAMS"
List of closed MOS's.

http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/MARADMIN0158-09.aspx
MARADMIN 0158-09 "MCBUL 7220 CHANGE 2 TO FY09 SRB AND BSSRB PROGRAMS"
List of more closed MOS's.

http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/MARADMIN0184-09.aspx
MARADMIN 0184-09 "MCBUL 7220 CHANGE 3 TO FY09 SRB AND BSSRB PROGRAMS"

http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/MARADMIN0305-09.aspx
MARADMIN 0305-09 "MCBUL 7220 CHANGE 4 TO FY09 SRB AND BSSRB PROGRAMS"

Other reference links:

http://www.marines.mil/news/publications/Documents/MCO%201130.80A.pdf
MCO 1130.80A "PRIOR SERVICE AND RESERVE AUGMENTATION ENLISTMENTS INTO THE REGULAR MARINE CORPS"
Good reading if you're trying to get back in.

http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/MARADMIN370-08.aspx
MARADMIN 0370-08 "MCBUL 7220 FISCAL YEAR 2009 (FY09) SELECTIVE REENLISTMENT BONUS(SRB) PROGRAM AND FY09 BROKEN SERVICE SRB (BSSRB) PROGRAM"
Details of amounts for zone A,B and C re-enlistment bonuses and broken service re-enlistment bonuses. Bulletin cancels on 30 September 2009.

http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/MARADMIN596-08.aspx
MARADMIN 0596-08 "FY09 FIRST TERM ALIGNMENT (FTAP) STATUS"
Brief mention of boat spaces filling quickly and re-enlistment guidelines, lat-moves etc.

http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/MARADMIN643-08.aspx
MARADMIN 0643-08 "FY09 FIRST TERM ALIGNMENT (FTAP) MISSION"
More details about FY09 boat spaces.

http://www.marines.mil/news/publications/Documents/MCO%20P1040.31J.pdf
MCO P1040.31J "ENLISTED RETENTION AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT MANUAL"
General guidance concerning re-enlistment, including continuous and broken service re-enlistments.
Chapter 4, Paragraph 4100.5 provides guidance on continuous and broken-service re-enlistments as well as paragraph 6003.1
This order will also answer any questions you might have about rank retention and computation.
*Additional side note- This Order states that a regular Marine Corps recruiter is who you should go to for broken service re-enlistment into ACTIVE DUTY in accordance with MCO 1130.80A. Entry into the reserves utilize a PSEP recruiter.*

In a nut shell, I couldn't find anything that gave a definite answer. Either that, or I interpreted it all incorrectly. From what I read, this is my personal understanding of the issue:

If you served one contract and want to get back in, on active duty, the Marine Corps see's you as a first term re-enlistee, with certain reservations. You can only submit for re-enlistment between 1 January and 30 September every year. Because you are trying to enter the "career force," you have to obtain a boat space. All active duty first term Marines get first dibs on boat spaces from 1 Oct to 31 December. The messages and orders state that HQMC will "entertain" lat-move options for prior service if your PMOS is closed out, but only as a last measure, or in cases of "critical MOS's" and that prior service should re-enlist into their PMOS to avoid new training costs. (Possibly have a recruiting SNCOIC or a local reserve unit career planner call your monitor, check about the number of open boatspaces?) There are also certain requirements you must meet for a prior service re-enlistment (e.g. current 1st class PFT, good height/weight, average pro/con marks of 4.0 or better, new MEPS physical etc.)

Hope all this was helpful and best of luck to all of us trying to get back in. I know I had my hopes up for October, but I'll do what's necessary.

If you are interested and have the time, feel free to check my sources and tell us what you think. Get the hive-mind concept working. Any corrections, additions, clarifications or questions are welcomed as it will only improve the knowledge base concerning re-entry.

Semper Fi Marines

killbodies3027
06-27-09, 07:42 AM
Prior Service first term Marines will not be considered for re-enlistment during the first quarter of a Fiscal Year (FY) e.g. Oct. Nov. and Dec. This is to ensure equitable distribution of boat spaces to the first term population of the respective FY.

Sorry, but that is a bunch of bs. Not in the sense that what you posted is wrong, in the sense that it's almost insulting that the Corps won't allow priors to join before new recruits. I hope the Marine Corps realizes that if you enlist priors that they don't have to be sent to boot again, and unless they want a lat change, they won't even need MOS training. Saving them time and money. wtf?

Granted it is only 3 months, but it's the principle of the idea.

Supersquishy
06-27-09, 08:29 AM
Sorry, but that is a bunch of bs. Not in the sense that what you posted is wrong, in the sense that it's almost insulting that the Corps won't allow priors to join before new recruits. I hope the Marine Corps realizes that if you enlist priors that they don't have to be sent to boot again, and unless they want a lat change, they won't even need MOS training. Saving them time and money. wtf?

I think that only applies to the Active Duty not Reserves, and for competeing with boatspaces until the new FY.

psyclopsus
06-27-09, 07:11 PM

I agree that it's BS. I thought the same way, as far as "they don't have to train us, we already went to boot..." A friend of mine brought up a point that I think is valid. Right now, the base pay difference between E1 with less than 2 years and an E4 with 4+ years is $728.10 a month. That's just base pay. Prior service have better chances of having families of their own, BAH, healthcare, BAS all the other goodies that factor in to it. And lastly you already have at least 4 years time in service, so you're that much closer to a pay raise. Believe me, I totally agree with you because there are a lot of good Marines that want back in.

Supersquishy, yes you're right, all that stuff I posted was concerning active duty. And it was all concerning Marines that only served one contract.

killbodies3027
06-27-09, 07:25 PM
No doubt. I just talked to a friend of mine that I went to SOI with who went to Afgan and Iraq, and then volunteered to back to Iraq again. He finished his enlistment with a flawless record and he's been looking for a recruiter willing to put him in for the past 4 months.

Petz
06-27-09, 08:59 PM
it's meant for those on active duty to get the boat space for RE-ENLISTMENT not enlistment.

PSEPs compete against those already in... and if they don't need NCOs then no PSEP NCO will be able to re-enlist. (that's just an example)

PSEPers aren't competing against poolees.

spartan1371
06-28-09, 06:33 AM
Hey guys,

I can only speak of my experience, i live in the pensacola, Florida area, and just put in for prior service into the reserves. There hurting for guys right now, so if you cant go active duty immediately my suggestion would be reserves then switch over. I'm still in IRR, so no MEPS, or any of that is necessary for me, good re- code on dd-214, no kids, no child support , no wife, so im not hitting any obstacles, the recruiter is working with me easily and things are moving fast. Just a thought out to the guys trying to get back in. If they wont take you active, then grab reserves, and then switch over. Just my two cents.

Semper Fi

flyby
06-28-09, 01:19 PM
Hey guys,

I can only speak of my experience, i live in the pensacola, Florida area, and just put in for prior service into the reserves. There hurting for guys right now, so if you cant go active duty immediately my suggestion would be reserves then switch over. I'm still in IRR, so no MEPS, or any of that is necessary for me, good re- code on dd-214, no kids, no child support , no wife, so im not hitting any obstacles, the recruiter is working with me easily and things are moving fast. Just a thought out to the guys trying to get back in. If they wont take you active, then grab reserves, and then switch over. Just my two cents.

Semper Fi

Thank you for that information as I am trying to go back (Reserves). I got out of the Guard in Jan 09 and just got my Report of Separation last week! Which I needed because the Recruiter will do nothing until I had that. My question is this, I have a degree and am eligible to go OCC-R. I almost feel it would be easier to go back as an Officer v. getting an Off-Contract Re-enlistment? Any thoughts on this? Any Reserve Officers that can speak to this? Either way, I am running out of time age wise and have decided that its back to the Corps or nothing! I will walk w/8+ yrs. of service.

Thanks!

SgtCherry
02-15-11, 12:45 AM
:usmc:Well believe it or not I got back in. My package finally cleared through the unrelenting forest of red tape. To anyone looking to come back in I would say first off be sure your reenlistment code is good to go. Second, hope you didn't burn any bridges because your gonna need your connections. More specifically in the monitor section. Third keep calling your RS or your MEPS to continually find out the status of your package. Also be open to different MOS suggestions. I was lucky enough to get my primary back.
Well good luck to all the prior Marines, and it feels great to be back within the ranks. Here we go!!

flyby
02-15-11, 11:56 AM
Congratulations!

SGT RC
02-15-11, 02:47 PM
Congratulations!!!

hanslergf
02-24-11, 10:24 AM
Congratz! I could never get a recruiter to give me a chance and have given up.

SGT RC
02-24-11, 03:38 PM
Well, I am going to give them a try one more time...will be against all odds...Dec 2011, I will go to my recruiter...do all my paperwork and then...Jan 1st 2012...submitt..we will see....