PDA

View Full Version : Pullups

watsmaname
06-16-09, 06:52 PM
Hi, I was wondering If Its okay If your not that good at pullups.

thewookie
06-16-09, 07:35 PM

With a little search there is a wealth of information available to you on this site, I hope it's useful to you and that it assists you in your military goals.

One suggestion for this site - the site standard is "generally correct and free of errors" in your posts. Perfection is not expected, but following the basic rules of grammar and spelling will help ensure the member's of this site take you seriously.

Good luck.

Gunner614
06-16-09, 08:21 PM

No, it's not okay. Do more pullups.

Pete0331
06-16-09, 08:32 PM

I can see your future... it doesn't look happy.

JSam
06-16-09, 10:04 PM
No, it's not okay. Do more pullups.

Hahaha. :thumbup:

Practice makes perfect. Work on it.

Weeman4307
06-17-09, 12:39 PM
Pull ups are pretty essential to being a Marine, seeing as you must be able to do atleast 2 before Boot Camp and atleast 3 after.
But if you keep working on them pull ups are acutally pretty easy to gain. I joined the DEP with barely 1 pull up in September, with only weekly PT I'm at 14 pull ups right now. Honestly if you just do them, you'll get better.

iSemperFi
06-17-09, 01:55 PM
Here is a "Preparation Guide for the Marine Corps Physical Fitness Test.<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P>"
If you follow this program you should be able to do 20 pullups in about 4 to 6 weeks.
If you are really out of shape it will probably take a little more.
-(Something that really helped me get to 20 wile i was in the DEP is the "Iron Gym" you can get at a local store near you.)</O:P>
<O:P><O:P>http://oneweb.utc.edu/~semperfi/physical.htm</O:P></O:P>

Hartford
06-17-09, 08:13 PM
I went from 2-3 pullups to 9-10 in a matter of a few weeks. They're really not that hard to increase.

JasonFMX
06-17-09, 08:17 PM
When i was in the DEP I was doing 27 pullups and I did NOTHING special. I also had done more than anyone in my high school and again, did NOTHING special...all I did was pullups. Theres no way to get better at doing something than to simply do it. Some people say to do pushups and get 5 eggs, dance around in a circle once on Fridays, twice on Sundays...etc etc etc.

Respectfully, while all of that may not hurt your chances...I don't think it improves it either...just do pullups. Oh, and do them underhand, its easier.

Since Ive gotten older I've filled out, so I'm not the skinny kid I was at 17/18 years old at 150lbs. I'm about 6' 1" and 200 lbs now...but I still can do 20+ pullups overhanded.

watsmaname
06-18-09, 10:03 AM
Im 5'7 about 226 lbs, Im going to lose about 20 or 30 lbs so I can fit enough to pullups,crunches, and run easier. Thanks for the advice and hopefully I'll talk to a recruiter in a few months.

ameriken
06-18-09, 10:09 AM
Why the delay to talk to a recruiter? In your other thread http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85336 you seemed like you were ready to walk right in to a recruiters office today.

If you were able to sign up today, you'd likely have several months delay before going to boot camp anyway giving you plenty of time to work on your PT.

Why wait?

watsmaname
06-18-09, 12:25 PM
Easy for you guys to just go in. You guys are normal, Im not I got a disease called psoriasis Im waiting for it to clear up a little bit. Then I'll go talk to the recruiter.

thewookie
06-18-09, 12:29 PM
Easy for you guys to just go in. You guys are normal, Im not I got a disease called psoriasis Im waiting for it to clear up a little bit. Then I'll go talk to the recruiter.

I don't know who you're calling normal, but I take offense to that comment.:scared:

watsmaname
06-18-09, 12:44 PM
Oooh my bad I meant people without a disease.

UsmcMotorT
06-18-09, 01:35 PM
When i was in the DEP I was doing 27 pullups and I did NOTHING special. I also had done more than anyone in my high school and again, did NOTHING special...all I did was pullups. Theres no way to get better at doing something than to simply do it. Some people say to do pushups and get 5 eggs, dance around in a circle once on Fridays, twice on Sundays...etc etc etc.

Respectfully, while all of that may not hurt your chances...I don't think it improves it either...just do pullups. Oh, and do them underhand, its easier.

Since Ive gotten older I've filled out, so I'm not the skinny kid I was at 17/18 years old at 150lbs. I'm about 6' 1" and 200 lbs now...but I still can do 20+ pullups overhanded.

Do them which ever way is easier for you. I suck at doing them underhand. I can easily bust out 19+ pull ups overhand and maybe 13-15 underhand. So I usually start off overhand and if I dont get 20 I'll switch to underhand to finish it off.

JasonFMX
06-18-09, 02:08 PM
Do them which ever way is easier for you. I suck at doing them underhand. I can easily bust out 19+ pull ups overhand and maybe 13-15 underhand. So I usually start off overhand and if I dont get 20 I'll switch to underhand to finish it off.

Wow, that really surprises me. I've never heard of anyone that could do pullups easier overhand rather than underhand. Not once. I just assumed that you used either more muscles or stronger muscles when doing them that way, thats why its easier.

Maybe you've just always done them that way so you muscles are conditioned better?

Anyway, glad to hear it. Always learn something new.

ameriken
06-18-09, 02:48 PM
Easy for you guys to just go in. You guys are normal, Im not I got a disease called psoriasis Im waiting for it to clear up a little bit. Then I'll go talk to the recruiter.If it were me, I'd still do it vice versa. I'd TT the recruiter, tell him about the psoriasis, see what he says, and not sign anything if it dont look good.

But I guess I'm just a motivated fvcker. :usmc:

thewookie
06-18-09, 04:18 PM
I've never heard of anyone that could do pullups easier overhand rather than underhand. Not once. I just assumed that you used either more muscles or stronger muscles when doing them that way

Well, now you've heard of two, (and there are many more) I could do them either way, and get twenty dead hang, kipping I could do about twice that. You do use different muscles, with an underhand grip you tend to use your biceps more then your lats. Overhand tends to be more lats, bi's, and shoulders. Either way it don't matter cause it's mind over matter.

JasonFMX
06-18-09, 05:11 PM
Either way it don't matter cause it's mind over matter.

Oh, believe me Sergeant, I understand that. Its just my logic was that somehow someway for the majority of humans, the muscles used for underhand was easier. I can remember all through middle school, high school, and all the kids in the pool from the whole region... I only ever came across one kid (that I remember) that did them overhand.

I do them overhand now myself simply out of habbit. After I broke my arm I had a bit of trouble for a few years rotating my arm all the way around to grab the bar underhanded. I could do it but my hand would slowly twist and slip off. So I got use to doing them overhanded. I got straightened out though. Now I'm accustomed both ways, like you. So, I understand where your coming from.

Here is a copy of my X-ray. On the right is my arm.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb118/JasonFMTX/MotoX/WRISTLEG.jpg

thewookie
06-18-09, 05:37 PM
I don't know if all Marines could do them both over and under. But I could and I knew guys that could also. Good luck, you have to work at it to get good -- that's not a tough thing to comprehend, right,,,, my first time doing pull ups I didn't do 20. Maybe 5. And, I was in "good shape" prior to going in.

JasonFMX
06-18-09, 06:45 PM
I don't know if all Marines could do them both over and under. But I could and I knew guys that could also.

Yeah..theres always a few lads out there that just have to be different. :) haha

C BAKER
06-20-09, 04:10 AM
This program is very good if you are wanting to increase on your max number of pull-ups

http://www.4mcd.usmc.mil/AOP/OSOHyattsville/Armstrong%20Pullup%20Program.htm

dpd951
06-20-09, 01:22 PM
Here is a "Preparation Guide for the Marine Corps Physical Fitness Test.<o>>"
If you follow this program you should be able to do 20 pullups in about 4 to 6 weeks.
If you are really out of shape it will probably take a little more.
-(Something that really helped me get to 20 wile i was in the DEP is the "Iron Gym" you can get at a local store near you.)</o>>

I cannot stress this enough. This is the best tip. I bought one from CVS for dirt cheap (usually costs $25 or $30 but I had a coupon). I started off at Christmas doing only 9 pull ups and now I am up to 22. Just set it up in a doorway in your house, and every time you walk through that door, you MUST begin doing pull ups before you can pass to the next room. :idea: The IRON GYM should be part of the welcome aboard package... Just my 2 cents.... :no:

petejones
06-22-09, 11:12 AM
Definently get an Iron Gym. Fits almost any doorframe and it's very convinient to have. Got mine at Target for $30, great investment.

MarinesFTW
06-22-09, 01:06 PM
Definently get an Iron Gym. Fits almost any doorframe and it's very convinient to have. Got mine at Target for $30, great investment.

Yeah, I have a old school pull up bar that you screwed into the door and now bar spins alot. Been thinking about getting the iron gym, all I hear is good reviews.

Weeman4307
06-22-09, 01:48 PM
I got this Golds Gym pullup/crunch bar at Wal-mart for like $10, its pretty much the iron gym but it screws into the door frame. Mine doesn't spin though, so its the best $10 I ever spent. It helped me to gain most of my pull ups, and my crunches.

MarinesFTW
06-22-09, 02:55 PM
Thats why I am looking at getting the Iron Gym. I need something strudy to hold me while I do crunches. There preaty hard to do when nothing can really hold you in a tight spot.

blumpkin
06-27-09, 02:56 PM
The iron gym took me from 9 pull ups to 18. Its good for dips and deep push ups too. Also overhand pull ups are the way to go

Gunner614
06-27-09, 03:04 PM
Although the Iron Gym is great for pullups and dips, I find it hard to do crunches with. It never keeps my feet secured and keeps moving up the door frame when I try to do them.

TKOTapout
06-27-09, 04:49 PM
Get an iron gym, do atleast 9 max sets of pullups a day. 3 Nuetral grip (the bars facing out) 3 Palms facing away (this will work your back and shoulders more) and finally 3 sets with palms facing toward you working mostly biceps.If you do this everyday you should be doing 20 in no time.

JWG
06-27-09, 05:57 PM
For crunches, just use a dresser or coach to support your feet. Crunch away that beer gut.. uhh I mean root beer gut. Good advice for sets with Iron Gym as well.

Pretty simple.. "Just Do It!" Got to throw in some Michael Jackson unfortunately.

JJA1990
07-01-09, 11:14 PM
The big thing with pullups is consistency. about a month ago I couldn't do a single pullup(pathetic I know).. but after doing negatives, assisted, and lat pull downs I can do 5 now after just a few weeks.

Gunner614
07-01-09, 11:16 PM
Pretty simple.. "Just Do It!" Got to throw in some Michael Jackson unfortunately.

Unfortunately...

MarinesFTW
07-01-09, 11:30 PM
Unfortunately...

The children of America are now safer.

Gerken
07-01-09, 11:50 PM
Wow, I'm gonna go buy an Iron Gym in the morning so hopefully i'll be at 20 pull ups by my ship date. Thanks guys.

Weeman4307
07-09-09, 05:22 PM
JJA1990, don't feel bad I started nine months ago at barely a pull up. I'm not at 14, since I never did any for like the first 2 months I was in the DEP I stayed at 1 for a while. As soon as I started to do them, I just kept getting them. I want to be at 20 in the next 3 weeks when I ship out.

As for crunches, thats why I didn't get an iron gym. The golds gym bar I got since you have to screw it into the door frame I put it low for my feet and its doesn't move at all.

If your at 16 now, being at 20 in a month or two will be nothing.