PDA

View Full Version : Support from Parents/Friends

Hartford
06-16-09, 01:29 PM
Poolees,

Do you receive support in your decision to join the Marines from your friends and family?

I definitely do not, my parents are totally against it and all of my friends just say they would never do it but they think its "ok" that I do it. Definitely nothing positive...its just annoying. It's nice to show up at the RS because everyone there wants to be a Marine or is a Marine...ugh.

Gunner614
06-16-09, 01:45 PM
My parents support me, just not too happy about it. My "friends" keep telling me i'm going to die.

chrisf9028
06-16-09, 01:46 PM
Once you have some more time in the DEP, your parents will see how motivated you are and they will appreciate it. My parents were totally against my decision at first, but give them some time.

Dale0817
06-16-09, 01:52 PM
All my friends tell me im going to die, and everyone else thinks that If I really wanted to be a Marine I would left, like in February, but they dont believe me when I tell them I cant leave lol.

But it doesn't matter to me lol.

ameriken
06-16-09, 01:56 PM
All my friends tell me im going to die, and everyone else thinks that If I really wanted to be a Marine I would left, like in February, but they dont believe me when I tell them I cant leave lol.

But it doesn't matter to me lol.
They have no clue. :iwo:

Burnthesky
06-16-09, 01:58 PM
When I brought my parents in to sign the papers for me (I'm only 17), my dad looked at me, signed the papers, then called me an idiot.

My friends are no better, they keep telling me that "there isn't a scale big enough to measure just how bad of an idea this is." and constantly try to talk me out of it.

I personally don't mind it in the least, I don't need their support.

Books
06-16-09, 02:08 PM
My parents are supportive behind my back when they talk (read: brag) to their friends, but to my face they say horrible things about my decision, to the extent that I am a "total f***up". It is very annoying. If they get their hands on one of those "proud parent..." stickers I might rip it up.

ArtyOps
06-16-09, 02:32 PM
You're going to hear this crap non stop throughout your time in. I met my wife while I was in the Marine Corps. Her friends all told her I was going to beat her, told her I would cheat on her and break her heart. All sorts of horrible stuff. Now I've been with her for 9 years at the end of this month, married for 6 1/2 years. We've endured 2 UDP deployments, 2 Iraq deployments and another unscheduled trip to Okinawa.

Ask your friends how many Marines they know. Ask your parents where they're getting sll of their information from.

I am saying this as member of our Armed Forces not only as a Marine, unless someone giving you this advice has experienced the military first hand thay have NO FVKING IDEA WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.

Can a cockroach tell you what it's like to be an eagle?

fisch
06-16-09, 03:35 PM
It started out with little support for me but as everyone began to see the change in me not only muscle wise but also mentally and saw how excited i was for everything they began to come onto the idea. Only real problem I had was getting my dad to sign the papers but once i convinced him he instantly set out to ensure I make it, because he saw my dedication. My friends used to say i was gonna die or not even make it to boot camp but, as i said earlier that all stopped when they saw the change in me

StrikeQ
06-16-09, 03:41 PM
My family is very supportive. Mom of course worries, sisters always knew I'd join. My friends are supportive and jealous (Married etc, so they can't join because their wife says so). The former Marines in my family (including my father) are ecstatic and showing their Marine pride.

sbombard15
06-16-09, 05:23 PM
My mom supports me one hundred percent but my dad dosent really. He thinks I should be intel and that infantry is "for the stupid losers who should be in jail" but he just thinks money is the key to happiness and dosent understand. My friends could care less lol.

runnerboy4life
06-16-09, 05:41 PM
My parents also disagree with me choosing infantry and wish I would have done a "better" mos since my ASVAB scores were high. I would not want any other mos though. Most of my friends call me crazy for enlisting with Marines, but only because of being the hardest branch and I take it as a compliment anyways. I try not to care what others think about enlisting since they really do not know a lot about Marines.

futuremarine129
06-16-09, 05:47 PM
I think I'm in the same boat as you, Hartford. I get no support from my parents. Also, my friends motivate me by reminding me not to die, like maybe if they tell me not to die enough times then there is no possible way I can die. I figure it this way though, In a little over a year, I'll be in the biggest family and have the most friends out of anyone I know, and there will always be plenty of motivation and support.

MarinesFTW
06-16-09, 06:01 PM
My parents support me, just not too happy about it. My "friends" keep telling me i'm going to die.

+2

Mttscreename
06-17-09, 03:47 PM
My mom took some convincing and even cried when she signed the papers and when i left to go to MEPS to enlist. Still, she couldn't be prouder and loves telling all her friends that her son is going to be a Marine. My dad (who is a Vietnam vet, Army) was asking my recruiter if he could join lol. My friends are sad i'm leaving so soon after graduation (3 days) but i'm glad. Everyone is supportive though, I couldn't ask for better friends and family. I consider myself lucky.

JWG
06-18-09, 12:54 PM
Everyone is supportive though, I couldn't ask for better friends and family. I consider myself lucky.

I know, support is a big thing. I'm very thankful to have the same experience thus far. For those of you who have friends and family who don't SUPPORT you.. lose them. They're not worth the time of day if they can't support someone they love.

FYI though.. your parents are not going to be HAPPY with your decision as it puts you in to harm's way, but there is a difference between that and not supporting you.

Some of you said your friends told you that you were going to go die. Tell them to bite the curb. They're no friends of yours. With that said, I'm so proud to be able to not only serve, but to be surrounded by who I think are true, American loving citizens (soon to be Marines), who have the ammount heart and love for their families, friends and country to do this. Hard to to go wrong with those kind of people around you. Thank all of you (past, present, and FUTURE) for your service and commitment to Corps and Country.

:thumbup::evilgrin:

Eldridge0311
06-18-09, 01:45 PM
My dad and my sister support me 100%. My sister actually seems really excited and my dad will support me no matter what. But, they are both happy, though my brother who is more of a pussy will not talk to me much anymore because of my decision. My mother of course does not agree, before I enlisted i called her and told her I was going to, she started crying and started trying to "persuade" me to join the Navy and Airforce.. I just laughed and signed the papers.

But all of my friends always knew I was going to and support me all the way, the only one that doesn't is my ex-fiance, she doesn't like it and isn't even willing to try it. It's sad an I love her to death, but I couldn't imagine doing anything else in life than becoming a Marine. :thumbup:

ChrisWood311
06-21-09, 03:27 PM
I get support from my Mom and Dad, and my friends are cool about it. They think they are funny when they say that Im making a bad move (the few that say that) and that Im going to be a "bullet sponge" or die. Like Im going to take that seriously from kids parking their butts in universities for four years.

Eldridge0311
06-21-09, 03:29 PM
I get support from my Mom and Dad, and my friends are cool about it. They think they are funny when they say that Im making a bad move (the few that say that) and that Im going to be a "bullet sponge" or die. Like Im going to take that seriously from kids parking their butts in universities for four years.

Or working at Wendy's or Walmart.

ChrisWood311
06-21-09, 03:31 PM
Or working at Wendy's or Walmart.
Haha. Yeah, they laugh, then I say something like, "Did you guys know that the Marine Corps is the only branch of the military to qualify from 500 yards with an M-16?"
Then it gets silent. :D

Eldridge0311
06-21-09, 03:33 PM
Haha. Yeah, they laugh, then I say something like, "Did you guys know that the Marine Corps is the only branch of the military to qualify from 500 yards with an M-16?"
Then it gets silent. :D
Damn that's a starting line to open up to get your referrals man. :D

ChrisWood311
06-21-09, 03:35 PM
Damn that's a starting line to open up to get your referrals man. :D
Haha Im trying man, I have one. I got my friend to enlist and then he got the job i was shooting for and a much earlier ship date :(

Eldridge0311
06-21-09, 03:41 PM
Haha Im trying man, I have one. I got my friend to enlist and then he got the job i was shooting for and a much earlier ship date :(

WHAT?! Man I would be super ****ed. But my contract is set. I'm just looking for a sooner ship date.

But the referrals for me is an impossible job. I live in a remote place, and I just moved here.

ChrisWood311
06-21-09, 03:45 PM
WHAT?! Man I would be super ****ed. But my contract is set. I'm just looking for a sooner ship date.

But the referrals for me is an impossible job. I live in a remote place, and I just moved here.
Yeah man im a little upset because I have wanted to be a Marine for about ten years, and he has wanted to be a Marine for a few months, but its whatev I could use the time to work out anyway. I dont even have a set contract yet but NBC is looking pretty good. I just want to ship out sooner than friggin November.

Eldridge0311
06-21-09, 03:51 PM
Yeah man im a little upset because I have wanted to be a Marine for about ten years, and he has wanted to be a Marine for a few months, but its whatev I could use the time to work out anyway. I dont even have a set contract yet but NBC is looking pretty good. I just want to ship out sooner than friggin November.

Man I would trade dates with you any day. Mine isn't until freaking 20100118.
But I have to wait till new fiscal year. Hopefully I'll get my day moved up to around late October or early November though.

MarinesFTW
06-21-09, 05:32 PM
Try having 3 people ready to enlist then they all decide to chicken out in the last month, one even went as far as filling out almost all of the paper work then freaking drops the idea. Now WTF is that crap..

Eldridge0311
06-21-09, 05:50 PM
Try having 3 people ready to enlist then they all decide to chicken out in the last month, one even went as far as filling out almost all of the paper work then freaking drops the idea. Now WTF is that crap..

Wow, that's horrible right there. You still talk to them?

MarinesFTW
06-21-09, 06:26 PM
Wow, that's horrible right there. You still talk to them?

Yeah there all really good friends, one is just on the line of joining. Sadly the one who filled out most of the paperwork preaty much gave out and the other was my best friend who got me into the whole Marine Corps thing. What do you do though, its there life, I'll let them mess it up in college.

Eldridge0311
06-21-09, 07:26 PM
Yeah there all really good friends, one is just on the line of joining. Sadly the one who filled out most of the paperwork preaty much gave out and the other was my best friend who got me into the whole Marine Corps thing. What do you do though, its there life, I'll let them mess it up in college.

Hrmm ya. So what's your MOS?

SkMike
06-21-09, 08:58 PM
Mother was against my decision at first. I gave her the "I'm 20 years old, its my decision talk." Shes proud of me but I know deep down she doesn't want me to join.

Father is deceased but he was an Green Beret in his time, so im sure he would be proud of me.

Brother was the only one who showed support for my decision at first, he was Airborne (Army) in his day.

KyleS333
06-21-09, 09:04 PM
They support me, they didnt with me brother at first but once they saw who you become and what you do they became typical Marine parents.

MarinesFTW
06-21-09, 09:46 PM
They support me, they didnt with me brother at first but once they saw who you become and what you do they became typical Marine parents.

HELL YEAH! Did your brother come back with his blues? They can change anyones minds lol.

petejones
06-22-09, 08:38 AM
My family supports me and my friends keep tellin me if I wanna go awol their gonna smuggle me across the border, but their all proud of me

jinelson
06-22-09, 09:15 AM
Dont sweat it pup my parents were the same way they wouldnt sign either but I did on my 18th birthday and gone 3 days later. I was told they never wanted to see me again, but guess who showed up at MCRD graduation day as the proudest most supportive parents onboard. Your parents will love you no matter what decisions you make in life you just have to listen to some crap for a while. Good luck to you young patriot.

Jim

MarinesFTW
06-22-09, 01:08 PM
That had to be nice seeing them SSgt, or was it a bitter sweet moment?