PDA

View Full Version : Do college credits bag you PFC?

reallybigshoe
06-15-09, 09:17 PM
I have around 45 college hours now. Will this make me a PFC? I heard a couple Poolees say this so I wanted to ask those who would know.

Hartford
06-15-09, 09:17 PM
Yes it will. That is how I'm going to get PFC upon graduation as well.

You need it to be above a 2.0 GPA and have 22 quarter college hours or more.

reallybigshoe
06-15-09, 09:19 PM
Quarter college hours?

Alisium
06-15-09, 09:21 PM
Quarter as opposed to semester.

Some schools base their year on the quater system, with four quarters (fall, winter, spring, summer) rather than two semesters.

I've done both and prefer the quater much much more.

reallybigshoe
06-15-09, 09:26 PM
Do they have any conditions for the type of credits? I.E. Auto mechanic school is in there too (they were accredited, but the credits only go to a certificate for a mechanic).

Hartford
06-15-09, 09:28 PM
Anything offered at a college is good to go. You could take 22, 1 credit, yoga classes if you wanted.

Capital M
06-15-09, 09:32 PM
It's just 15 credits that you need. More won't get you a higher rank out of boot. So as long as you have 15 credits from an accredited college, you are fine.

Hartford
06-15-09, 09:35 PM
I thought it was 15 semester credits or 22 quarter credits. I'm not 100% though.

Alisium
06-15-09, 09:45 PM
A credit is a credit. The quarterr system offers the same classes, you just have to do them in half the time.

Perkins91
06-15-09, 10:37 PM
You need to have 15credits and you can get PFC.

Greg1990
06-15-09, 10:38 PM
err, wait, isn't EVERYONE a Pfc once they graduate regardless of college credits?

I'm confused...

ST331
06-15-09, 10:44 PM
I have around 45 college hours now. Will this make me a PFC? I heard a couple Poolees say this so I wanted to ask those who would know.

yes, but since you're already over 1/3 of the way to getting a Bachelor's degree, why not go for PLC?

sbombard15
06-15-09, 10:45 PM
You need 12 with good grades and 15 with not so good grades. I only have 12 and my recruiter told me I will graduate pfc.

Lisa 23
06-15-09, 10:48 PM
err, wait, isn't EVERYONE a Pfc once they graduate regardless of college credits?

I'm confused...
No.....you are either a Private or a PFC.

Greg1990
06-15-09, 10:48 PM
Still confused...The lowest rank I see is PFC on the rank chart.

No.....you are either a Private or a PFC.

MLMonk
06-15-09, 10:55 PM
You need 12 with good grades and 15 with not so good grades. I only have 12 and my recruiter told me I will graduate pfc.

Yay, the 1st poolee who got it right.

And Private is the lowest rank, that is a E-1, Private First Class is an E-2.

Greg1990
06-15-09, 10:58 PM
Yay, the 1st poolee who got it right.

And Private is the lowest rank, that is a E-1, Private First Class is an E-2.

Ohh...so then those Marines on graduation day that don't have college credits just don't wear any insignia on their uniforms then?

srinaldo86
06-15-09, 11:01 PM
E-1 is a Private
E-2 is a PFC

E-2 can be earned in 3 ways generally...
1. Contract PFC (You did something prior to the Marine Corps that makes you eligible whether it be college or something else.)
2. You earned it by being an outstanding recruit or Marine. (Meritorious promotion)
3. You earned it for Time In Grade (which is 6 months automatically you are a PFC unless you receive an NJP (Non-Judicial Punishment) at some point in time.)
LCpl (E-3) can also be earned by Time in Grade (9 months as a PFC.), meritoriously, or getting 2 more people to enlist using you as a reference.

If you join as a contract PFC you will receive PFC/E-2 pay all through boot camp but your rank is not recognized until you become a Marine. As a contract PFC your Time In Grade starts as soon as boot camp does. So 9 months from the time you touch foot on the depot you will be promoted to LCpl.

Greg1990
06-15-09, 11:03 PM
Thanks, that answers it all. I just didn't know that Marines could actually graduate boot camp without any insignia.

Lisa 23
06-15-09, 11:07 PM
Still confused...The lowest rank I see is PFC on the rank chart.

[/color][/size][/font][/i][/b]

That's because a Private "does not" have a stripe.

Lisa 23
06-15-09, 11:12 PM
Ohh...so then those Marines on graduation day that don't have college credits just don't wear any insignia on their uniforms then?
Those young men and women who don't have any insignia on their uniforms are high school graduates.....you don't have to be a college grad or have college credits to get PFC out of Boot Camp. You can earn PFC as srinaldo86 descibes in his post.
Man....you really need to talk to your Recruiter and get yourself squared away on this.

davblay
06-15-09, 11:20 PM
Thanks, that answers it all. I just didn't know that Marines could actually graduate boot camp without any insignia.

The majority of Graduating Marines, on both depots, are PVTs. That is a slick sleeve,,,,no stripes. They wear the EGA Insignia like all Marines do. :marine:

Dave

MLMonk
06-15-09, 11:21 PM
2 years of JROTC, 15 college credits, being an Eagle Scout, or getting 2 people or so to join are really the only ways you will get contract PFC.

reallybigshoe
06-15-09, 11:25 PM
LCpl (E-3) can also be earned by Time in Grade (9 months as a PFC.), meritoriously, or getting 2 more people to enlist using you as a reference.

Am I understanding you correctly in that by recruiting two other people I would graduate from boot as a Lcpl (considering my previous credits)?

Now THAT would be nice.

MarinesFTW
06-15-09, 11:30 PM
NO YOU CAN ONLY GET PFC THRU THOSE METHODS YOU CAN NOT BUILDED THEM FOR HIGHER RANK!!! You can graduate LCpl if you are the Company Honor Grad. Thats 1 out of 300, do a search there is quite a few threads all about it.

PS: This would take you 3 minutes on google to figure out, or you could ask your recruiter because Ive been givin this story 5000000000x.. REFERRALS REFERRALS REFERRALS!!!!

Lisa 23
06-15-09, 11:55 PM
In my platoon, we had one that was meritorious promoted to LCpl out of Boot Camp......she was prior service....Army.
She was our squad leader, carried the guidon and was the honor grad....and was nothing but an a$$ kisser. No one liked her at all.
Till today, I still don't like her......and I haven't seen her in 21 years.

ST331
06-15-09, 11:59 PM
In my platoon, we had one that was meritorious promoted to LCpl out of Boot Camp......she was prior service....Army.
She was our squad leader, carried the guidon and was the honor grad....and was nothing but an a$$ kisser. No one liked her at all.
Till today, I still don't like her......and I haven't seen her in 21 years.

thats one really long grudge...

Lisa 23
06-16-09, 12:01 AM
That's how much she pi$$ed me off Sir......and many others in my platoon.

ST331
06-16-09, 12:12 AM
That's how much she pi$$ed me off Sir......and many others in my platoon.

argh...everyone is so formal on this forum !!

Haha I'm much more of a forgive and forget type. I hated half the kids in boot camp. I'm cool with all of them now (at least the ones I'm still in touch with)

srinaldo86
06-16-09, 07:18 AM
Am I understanding you correctly in that by recruiting two other people I would graduate from boot as a Lcpl (considering my previous credits)?

Now THAT would be nice.
It is a possibility, most Boot Marines graduate as PFCs and later do RA (Recruiters Assistance) to pick up LCpl.

There is also the opportunity of Meritorious LCpl for that stellar Marine who proved him self worthy in boot.

KawiGunny
06-16-09, 07:51 AM

Thats right. So if you have college credits, that makes you a better Marine so you will get PFC out of bootcamp.:evilgrin:

Just wait till you see those Privates pass you in rank later because they have had to work harder to earn their rank. :beer: Their work ethics are generally higher then those who are given rank.

I understand that people want to get what they can, but all this college credit crap for PFC out of bootcamp is BS to me. Want PFC out of bootcamp......... EARN it. I did and so did several other outstanding Marines that were in my platoon. Funny...... most of the contract PFC's I went through bootcamp with never saw Cpl in their first (and in some cases only) enlistment. They didn't have to work for their first promotion and thought it would be easy for them since they were a step ahead of most.

ST331
06-16-09, 09:16 AM
Thats right. So if you have college credits, that makes you a better Marine so you will get PFC out of bootcamp.:evilgrin:

Just wait till you see those Privates pass you in rank later because they have had to work harder to earn their rank. :beer: Their work ethics are generally higher then those who are given rank.

I understand that people want to get what they can, but all this college credit crap for PFC out of bootcamp is BS to me. Want PFC out of bootcamp......... EARN it. I did and so did several other outstanding Marines that were in my platoon. Funny...... most of the contract PFC's I went through bootcamp with never saw Cpl in their first (and in some cases only) enlistment. They didn't have to work for their first promotion and thought it would be easy for them since they were a step ahead of most.

Considering that PFC is GIVEN to a Marine after 6 months TIS (as long as you don't do anything stupid), I really don't think its a big deal.

Someone who takes college courses before he/she enlists has shown the initiative to educate themselves further, so I don't see any reason why they can't be awarded with 6 months ahead of the promotion curve.

I was a Private out of boot camp, but got meritoriously promoted to Lance Corporal 10 days after PFC for getting honor grad at MOS school, so there's plenty of opportunities to catch up later on if you're a good Marine.

How many Marines do you know that ended up being 4 year Lances even though they got contract Pfc?

Or Marines that were Privates but ended up Corporals in less than 2 years?

Just my two cents

KawiGunny
06-16-09, 09:53 AM
Considering that PFC is GIVEN to a Marine after 6 months TIS (as long as you don't do anything stupid), I really don't think its a big deal.

Someone who takes college courses before he/she enlists has shown the initiative to educate themselves further, so I don't see any reason why they can't be awarded with 6 months ahead of the promotion curve.

I was a Private out of boot camp, but got meritoriously promoted to Lance Corporal 10 days after PFC for getting honor grad at MOS school, so there's plenty of opportunities to catch up later on if you're a good Marine.

How many Marines do you know that ended up being 4 year Lances even though they got contract Pfc?

Or Marines that were Privates but ended up Corporals in less than 2 years?

Just my two cents

Keep in mind that we came in the Corps during different times eras. I went to boot camp in February 1986.

Back then, it was common to see a LCpl re-enlist after doing 4 yrs. I even saw contract Cpl's get out as a Cpl after 6 yrs because they couldn't hack having to work for Sgt. Contract Cpl...... Back then someone could sign up for six yrs and be guarenteed Cpl in 18 months or 2 yrs. Dont remember which it was. Rank was handed to them on a silver plater so they didn't really have to work for it up to Cpl. Those Marines usually didn't stay in.

Cpl in 2 yrs back then was almost unheard of unless you were either a kissazz or walked on water. Not saying it didn't happen, just uncommon. I recieved meritourious promotion out of bootcamp to PFC because I busted my arse. I picked up Cpl in 3 yrs again because I busted my arse. Back in the mid to late 80's, promotions were slow. We didn't have any type of pyramid structure to our ranks and that made promotions slow during that time frame.

I saw plenty of Marines that graduated out of bootcamp as a Pvt that earned Cpl ahead of those that were given PFC out of bootcamp. Now with that said, there were plenty of those guys (contract PFC) that went on to do great things too. Don't get me wrong on any of this.

As for those who, as you put it.... shown initative to educate themselves further...... I have seen many that did it only for the rank. Not for the education. If someone has gone that extra mile and done some college because they wanted to learn more and better themselves, then good for them. Does that make them a better Marine than someone who didn't? Not necessarily. They could have taken classes in basket weaving but joined the Corps to be in Intel. Sure, coming in as a contract PFC is a good tool for getting people to join the Corps, I just don't agree with it. Don't have to agree with it or even like, I just had to deal with it and keep training.

And yes, there are plenty of oppertunities out there for a young Marine to advance himself/herself. Congrats on your meritorious promotion to Cpl and for going over to the dark side to become a Lt. We all know we need some good mustangs in our ranks to help keep us on a level playing field. That also works as a great tool to show that you can do anything in the Corps you want to provided you put your mind to it and work hard.
Semper Fi.

Pulpdogs4
08-03-09, 09:34 PM
I have 58 college credits under my belt. I am in the DEP program right now, and I'm under the impression that I can still give my transcript to my recruiter and pick-up PFC out of boot. Is this a correct assumption or am I too late?

Thanks,
-Dave

Hartford
08-03-09, 09:53 PM
I have 58 college credits under my belt. I am in the DEP program right now, and I'm under the impression that I can still give my transcript to my recruiter and pick-up PFC out of boot. Is this a correct assumption or am I too late?

Thanks,
-Dave
Dave,
That's absolutely correct. Your overall GPA must be > 2.00 and you must have more than 21 credits I believe so you're in the clear. Let your recruiter know and bring an official copy of your transcript to him and he'll take care of the rest.

ak74u28
08-03-09, 09:53 PM

Thanks,
-Dave

You're on time just put those trascripts in the hands of your recruiter ASAP!

Pulpdogs4
08-04-09, 09:21 AM
Hatford and AK thanks for your prompt responses.
I'll take care of this ASAP
:marine:

ZombieWolf
08-06-09, 11:40 AM
...Then if you have 74 hours they have some kind of officer program you can do if I'm not mistaken.

JWG
08-06-09, 12:23 PM
This was brought up the other day. Our Gunnery Sergeant informed us you must have:

*15 college credits
*Atleast a 2.0 GPA

I also asked him and he said that you go into MCRD getting payed as a PFC. Not bad at all.

ak74u28
08-06-09, 12:32 PM
...Then if you have 74 hours they have some kind of officer program you can do if I'm not mistaken.

74 hours??,please explain that.

ZombieWolf
08-06-09, 03:55 PM
74 hours??,please explain that.

It's 75 credit hours.

"-Meritorious Commissioning Program. MCP. If you are recommended by your chain of command, and have a little bit of college (75 credits), you can apply for commissioning. If selected, you attend OCS, get commissioned, and then have to complete your degree on your own within a certain time period. Board meets several times a year.

The Meritorious Commissioning Program allows commanding officers to nominate qualified enlisted Marines in the Regular Marine Corps and the Marine Corps Active Reserve (AR) Program, who have demonstrated exceptional leadership potential, for assignment to Officer Candidates School (OCS) and subsequent commissioning in the Marine Corps Reserve. The policy, eligibility criteria, and application process is contained in MCO 1040.43A.

MARADMIN 278/02 - Highlights major changes to the MCP.

MCO 1040.43A

MARINES WITH AT LEAST 75 SEMESTER HOURS OF ACTUAL COURSEWORK
A LETTER OF ACCEPTANCE FROM AN NROTC AFFILLIATED COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY
U.S. CITIZEN
BE OF OFFICER CALIBER
GOOD MORAL CHARACTER AND INTEGRITY
NOT PREVIOUSLY FAILED ANY OFFICER PROGRAMS
AT LEAST 21 BUT NOT OLDER THAN 30
AFQT => 74 OR SAT=>1000 OR ACT=>45
NO WAIVERS OF TEST SCORES WILL BE CONSIDERED"

sbombard15
08-06-09, 10:51 PM
This was brought up the other day. Our Gunnery Sergeant informed us you must have:

*15 college credits
*Atleast a 2.0 GPA

I also asked him and he said that you go into MCRD getting payed as a PFC. Not bad at all.

Has it recently been changed from 12? I am positive it was 12 not to long ago.

SabreJack
08-06-09, 11:05 PM
If you have 12 hours with a GPA above 2.5 (I think) then you are eligible. If your cumalitave GPA is below 2.5, then you must have 15. I could be wrong but I recall reading this somewhere.

JWG
08-06-09, 11:42 PM
If you have 12 hours with a GPA above 2.5 (I think) then you are eligible. If your cumalitave GPA is below 2.5, then you must have 15. I could be wrong but I recall reading this somewhere.

That very well could be.

sbombard15
08-07-09, 10:12 AM

Yes that is whats correct because I only have 12 and i am getting pfc.

Hartford
08-08-09, 01:23 AM
I just finished up my summer courses and should be getting my grades soon. I believe I have 12 units already and this should be 9 more so I'll have 21 with a ~2.9 GPA.

LJ27
09-03-09, 07:39 PM
I have 45 credits but my GPA is below a 2.0 (long story). But when I had the 15 credits, I had well beyond a 2.0. So having more credits actually hurt me? Are my credits now useless since I have below a 2.0? Thanks for any answers.

Hartford
09-03-09, 07:59 PM
I have 45 credits but my GPA is below a 2.0 (long story). But when I had the 15 credits, I had well beyond a 2.0. So having more credits actually hurt me? Are my credits now useless since I have below a 2.0? Thanks for any answers.
I was in the exact same predicatment you are in. I had ~48 credits and a 1.99 cumulative GPA. I had > 2.0 until the last quarter and decent grades my 1st and 2nd quarter. I brought my transcript to MEPS when I DEP'd in and they let out a chuckle when they saw it, showed it to the MSgt next to them and said that was the first time they saw someone so close yet so far from getting E-2. Heh...oh well. I was currently enrolled at a Community College and I still am so I just finished Summer Quarter and now have 22 credits from that school with a ~2.7 GPA. I just dropped off that transcript at my recruiter and should be getting PFC with it. If you have the time until shipping out you should try to take credits this Fall quarter at a community college and pick up PFC.

Capital M
09-03-09, 08:08 PM

I believe you just need 15 credits of a 2.0 or better. So 5 classes, with a C or better should bag you it.

Hartford
09-03-09, 08:15 PM
No, that is not correct. I had 45 credits, a 1.99GPA and could have easily pick and chosen 4-5 classes to get the 15 credits and had a > 3.0 GPA, but they would not let me do that. So unless you can order a transcript from your school with just one or two quarters with good grades or something...not sure what else you can do besides either:

a) Going to a new school and taking classes.
b) Raise your GPA at the current school.