PDA

View Full Version : just want to be involved

cwi530
06-15-09, 07:34 PM
Our oldest son (21) signed up and is scheduled to go to boot camp in December (delayed entry?). He had told us he was thinking about joining the military after the company he worked for closed down. We encouraged him to talk with recruiters from all branches and offered our assistance. I don't think he fully understood all the opportunities the Corp offers before he signed. I don't. Now he's doing PT a couple times a week in Sacramento and waiting for boot camp. Our youngest son just graduated from high school and wants to join the Corp with his brother. He's been doing the PT also. My wife and I would be very proud to have both our boys in the Corp and want to help the youngest make decisions that are right for him now and for his future. The recruiter has made no attempts to contact us or let us help our boy. My son has no idea about a MOS or his options. The recruiter is pushing him to sign an open contract. How can I help my son make the right decisions?

yellowwing
06-15-09, 07:54 PM
Get him to stop by here and ask questions, or just look around and read up.

srinaldo86
06-15-09, 08:10 PM
Have your son bring you in to meet his recruiter.
I would not suggest letting him sign an open contract, it could be a HUGE mistake.
Does he want to go to boot camp with his brother or does it not really matter?
If he does it could mean he would have to sacrifice his MOS of choice due to numbers/spaces that the Corps needs to fill for a particular MOS.

Definitely ask him what hes interested in and discuss it with his recruiter, this site is also a wealth of information about different MOSs.

Worst thing he could do is open contract in my opinion...

Fievel
06-15-09, 08:11 PM
Our oldest son (21) signed up and is scheduled to go to boot camp in December (delayed entry?). He had told us he was thinking about joining the military after the company he worked for closed down. We encouraged him to talk with recruiters from all branches and offered our assistance. I don't think he fully understood all the opportunities the Corp offers before he signed. I don't. Now he's doing PT a couple times a week in Sacramento and waiting for boot camp. Our youngest son just graduated from high school and wants to join the Corp with his brother. He's been doing the PT also. My wife and I would be very proud to have both our boys in the Corp and want to help the youngest make decisions that are right for him now and for his future. The recruiter has made no attempts to contact us or let us help our boy. My son has no idea about a MOS or his options. The recruiter is pushing him to sign an open contract. How can I help my son make the right decisions?

As yellowwing said, have him come on here, read the rules, look around, and ask questions. There is a LOT of information on this site that should answer just about any questions he may have. If he searches and cannot find anything that answers his questions, all he has to do is ask.

My cousin is going into the Marines and his recruiter has him on an open contract. He really doesn't mind as he just wants to earn the right to wear the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor. I can't tell you what MOSs are available, but it sounds like most of the guys I have talked to are going in the same way.

As far as his recruiter dealing with you guys, mine really didn't deal with my parents either. I was 18 years old and was legally an adult, and was treated as an adult. With all due respect (trying to say this without coming across too harsh), your son is 18? years old. The recruiters are there for your son, and as much as parents want to be involved, his focuses are not on you guys. It's not that he wants to "sucker" your son into anything. See if you can schedule an appointment with the recruiter to talk with them.

Have him check out this site and read the material posted on here. Make sure, though, that he reads and follows the rules. I think that whatever questions he may have, he will be able to find them here.

sparkie
06-15-09, 08:12 PM
Nowadays there are options,,,Good ones. My USMC MOS got my comfortably thru a lifetime. Tell him there is more than now to consider.