PDA

View Full Version : Saw Gran Torino last night

Fievel
06-15-09, 11:24 AM
I thought it was a good movie. My wife had a hard time following the "morals" that I thought were in the movie, but she thought it was pretty good, too. What did you guys think of it?

Maybe I'm looking too far into this, but this is what I got from it: (DONT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE)

I think that there was some underlying messages that were aimed towards the youth of today about how they take everything for granted and show no respect. The guy earned a Silver Star in Korea, but no one seemed to care - they showed no respect to him, even during his wife's funeral. His own son and granddaughter just wanted his stuff when he died. I thought that was f*cked up.

Although it turned out to be a good thing, he was kind of forced to make friends with the people he hated. I thought this made a statement about the whole "love thy neighbor" thing. I think it also shows that your enemies (in his case, the Koreans next door) are people, too. And he ultimately died to protect the people he once killed.

Don't take me wrong, I would still very much have a problem with a neighborhood of Iraqis living around me (not trying to be racist, just truthful), and I highly doubt that I would intervene if they decided to bring the hurt on each other, but I think I see what the movie is saying.

What do you guys think about it? Maybe I analyzed it too much.

Isrowei
06-15-09, 11:35 AM
I thought it was a bit of a story of redemption as well.

It's easy to look at people hurting each other when both sides are ****ing on each other. But it's tough to turn a blind eye to kids who can't stand up for themselves (which is what the movie was showing).

I thought there was a lot of undertones in the movie. It'd really take a long stint to get into it.

Overall, I just thought it was good. Thought-provoking.

UsmcMotorT
06-15-09, 02:57 PM
I saw it this weekend too, it was slow in the beginning but it picked up towards the end.

I definately cried at the end. I thought he was to go crazy on those guys and he ended up doing the right thing and put those guys away for good.

Oh and I dont think they were Korean, they were Hmong which are groups of people in the mountainous region of Southeast Asia (different countries and I looked on line and they didn't list koreans as Hmong).

Petz
06-15-09, 03:09 PM
I thought it was a good movie. My wife had a hard time following the "morals" that I thought were in the movie, but she thought it was pretty good, too. What did you guys think of it?

Maybe I'm looking too far into this, but this is what I got from it: (DONT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE)

I think that there was some underlying messages that were aimed towards the youth of today about how they take everything for granted and show no respect. The guy earned a Silver Star in Korea, but no one seemed to care - they showed no respect to him, even during his wife's funeral. His own son and granddaughter just wanted his stuff when he died. I thought that was f*cked up.

Although it turned out to be a good thing, he was kind of forced to make friends with the people he hated. I thought this made a statement about the whole "love thy neighbor" thing. I think it also shows that your enemies (in his case, the Koreans next door) are people, too. And he ultimately died to protect the people he once killed.

Don't take me wrong, I would still very much have a problem with a neighborhood of Iraqis living around me (not trying to be racist, just truthful), and I highly doubt that I would intervene if they decided to bring the hurt on each other, but I think I see what the movie is saying.

What do you guys think about it? Maybe I analyzed it too much.

those "people" he killed were not the ones next door... they were Hmongs (sp)... or the south koreans... so he realized you have to be more specific of the people you hate, that broad statements he's made over the years were slightly mis-guided... he says racial remarks are a way friends communicate and not to get your pantys in a bunch when you hear it (lots of problems since the 60's) and that you need to focus on those who do wrong.

the redemption thing is not so much the focus as he does point out that his childrens generation is a generation of instand gratification and that they don't work hard for what they have and expect everything for free.

all of this he makes evident with the kid working hard to "be a man" and in turn make the neighborhood nice again...

the dying part just makes for his life to be worth something for the viewers by having character development.

great movie by the way...

DocGreek
06-15-09, 03:28 PM
HMONG tribe lives in Laos, and Viet Nam. Our Bat. worked with some of them. Tough, independent, and unafraid people, willing to die for what they believe is right.

The question about "Gran Torino" is..."will YOU stand up for what you KNOW is RIGHT???"....FVCKIN' A'!!....today, just like those MEN who signed, and wrote, The Declaration of Independence!!!....I took an OATH.....REMEMBER???.....SEMPER FIDELIS....Doc Greek

PaidinBlood
06-15-09, 03:31 PM
When I saw it I thought of all those crazy old fuks like you out there pizzed off and toting guns, Doc :D Made me feel a little safer at night... :thumbup:: SF

thewookie
06-15-09, 03:50 PM
I fell asleep halfway through this movie, but most movies do that to me.

I will say this, that man had a lot of Archie Bunker in him. Very racist and bigoted, and I'm not sure that I want to give him the man of the year title just yet.:scared:

I have to see the rest of the movie to pass full judgement, and I'm not saying the guy wasn't a hero, but I dunno, he seemed like angry white guy to me.

Fievel
06-15-09, 07:31 PM
I fell asleep halfway through this movie, but most movies do that to me.

I will say this, that man had a lot of Archie Bunker in him. Very racist and bigoted, and I'm not sure that I want to give him the man of the year title just yet.:scared:

I have to see the rest of the movie to pass full judgement, and I'm not saying the guy wasn't a hero, but I dunno, he seemed like angry white guy to me.

He definitely was an angry white guy, but I think he had his reasons (not making excuses for him). :D

thewookie
06-15-09, 08:26 PM
He definitely was an angry white guy, but I think he had his reasons (not making excuses for him). :D

I need to finish watching it before I step on my crank.

Integrity57
06-15-09, 09:03 PM
I thought his mentality was too old-fashioned and closed minded at the beginning from his experiences in Korea, but getting to know his neighbors opened him up. I loved the way he taught the kid to be a man though, that was one of the funnier parts. As far as people not respecting War Vets these days, I think the general populace is more aware then they used to be of the sacrifices Veterans have made for their country, but still most people don't know/respect what something like a Silver Star means.

sparkie
06-15-09, 09:16 PM
Close minded???? Like when you fall into an outhouse and shut your mouth? He had his war, and his enemies. I ain't judgin,,,,,,,,,

Integrity57
06-15-09, 09:41 PM
Yea close minded, like when you judge everyone else for a certain few's actions. But he's a fictional character and he obviously turned himself around and made a better man of himself for it, so what's the issue here?

PaidinBlood
06-15-09, 11:24 PM
The whole world changed on him...after the war his country went downhill-represented by his son "selling jap cars" the neighborhood changed on him...his wife "left" him.

in the end, he realized the neigborhood had changed faces, but these people shared more in common with him and his generation than his own children ever would...

he was never a racist or a bigot...it was a shallow defense mechanism... no hate just a sharp tongue

ameriken
06-15-09, 11:47 PM
Just finished watching it, great movie but I dont have an analysis yet.

I will say that he had one line that was classic Eastwood when he approached the 3 black kids who were taunting the Hmong girl.....

"Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while that you should'nt have f*cked with? That's me". :thumbup:

Fievel
06-16-09, 12:01 AM
Just finished watching it, great movie but I dont have an analysis yet.

I will say that he had one line that was classic Eastwood when he approached the 3 black kids who were taunting the Hmong girl.....

"Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while that you should'nt have f*cked with? That's me". :thumbup:

:thumbup: I think that was my favorite line.

ColdBlooded
06-16-09, 02:02 AM
Great movie, loved every bit of it. the comedy style it had went great with my Sun Chips and Vitamin Water.

PaidinBlood
06-16-09, 02:09 AM
If Clint Eastwood were a member here he would kick you in the dic for that....:thumbdown:

ColdBlooded
06-16-09, 02:18 AM
If Clint Eastwood were a member here he would kick you in the dic for that....:thumbdown:

Wow, didn't know you could send kicks via Leatherneck. :thumbup:

thewookie
06-16-09, 06:57 AM
he was never a racist or a bigot...it was a shallow defense mechanism... no hate just a sharp tongue

I had to look them up to make sure I was using the right words, lets see what Websters says about a bigot.... a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices ; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance.

And for racist... a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

And for sheets and giggles I looked up defense mechanism... Any of various usually unconscious mental processes, including denial, projection, rationalization, and repression, that protect the ego from shame, anxiety, conflict, loss of self-esteem, or other unacceptable feelings or thoughts.

Again, from what I saw, only about the first 40 minutes or so, I think the guy was both, a racist and a bigot. Not saying he isn't a war hero. The question is - does he act that way as a self defense mechanism or a way to cope, yeah, I'm sure he does, but it's still what it is.

I asked myself, if the guy was a Marine, would I feel the same way. And I do believe I would. I'm not saying I wouldn't hang out with him. I know people just like him, and I get along with them fine, my Uncle Mario is one that comes to mind. But I still cringe inside when I hear some of the comments they make sometimes.

DocGreek
06-16-09, 07:31 AM
I'm NOT going to quote you WOOKIE. I just don't think that Eastwood intended anything but JUST what we're doing HERE!!....It's a piece of artwork meant to stimulate the apathetic public...just like a painting that creates controversy. From viewing the posts here...it WORKS!!! Way to GO...DIRTY HARRY!!!!.....DOC

thewookie
06-16-09, 08:15 AM
I'm NOT going to quote you WOOKIE. I just don't think that Eastwood intended anything but JUST what we're doing HERE!!....It's a piece of artwork meant to stimulate the apathetic public...just like a painting that creates controversy. From viewing the posts here...it WORKS!!! Way to GO...DIRTY HARRY!!!!.....DOC

I agree, Doc. Any movie that stimulates conversation and sparks debate is better then most of the crap Hollywood puts out.

ameriken
06-16-09, 08:25 AM
I was a little bothered by his attitude in the beginning, however I like the way the movie progressed with his neighbors getting through his thickened shell and into his heart. Ya gotta finish it wookie, if you havent already :thumbup:

thewookie
06-16-09, 08:27 AM
I like the way the movie progressed with his neighbors getting through his thickened shell and into his heart. Ya gotta finish wookie, if you havent already :thumbup:

I have not, but I will tonight, maybe, but until then I'm going back to shutting my mouth...:scared:

DevsDad
06-16-09, 02:39 PM
;) Was it just me or did he remind you a little of Gunny Highway at 80?

Petz
06-16-09, 04:46 PM
The whole world changed on him...after the war his country went downhill-represented by his son "selling jap cars" the neighborhood changed on him...his wife "left" him.

in the end, he realized the neigborhood had changed faces, but these people shared more in common with him and his generation than his own children ever would...

I don't care what wookie said with his definitions..... this really is a good statement.

he didn't HATE or wish ill thoughts... just that they would go away... his world did turn upside down, and to show the last 40 years in a few min. you had to make him seem more of a racist and bigot than to have it a defense mechanism... since a movie and all.

so you both make a good point, but I have to back up PIB here...

lovdog
06-18-09, 12:39 PM
Saw the movie last night since it was raining buckets outside. My take on the movie was - when the years creep up on a person as did Clint, you tend to want to just be let alone, drink your beer & don't be hassled ! I've always said that 95% of the people are basically pretty good but there is that 5% that were put on this planet to make ones life miserable. And, even if evets that happen don't involve you, most of us are going to defend (or try to) the ones that can't defend themselves - its human nature. Its an ideal situation to have 1000 acres, build a home in the middle with a 60' wall around the whole place - but most of us don't have that luxury. There is the kid with the "beater" that has a boom box in the trunk that almost blows out the windows, foul speaking punks that hang around the corners and don't care what they say when women and children are present. Don't know about you - but all I see is red when this happens - and usually I can't keep my mouth shut - gotta say something even with my wife pleading not to get involved. A lot of us can identify with this story of things that have happened in the past or present. Story makes a point of taking care of people in this world and hoping to make it a better place because you did take a stand.
Was that Schlitz he was drinking ? Good man !
SF

ameriken
06-18-09, 01:08 PM
Was that Schlitz he was drinking ? Good man !
SFPabst Blue Ribbon

Osotogary
06-20-09, 05:25 PM
I saw it last evening at home and was uncomfortable at first with Eastwoods' character but then realized that he was playing a part in a movie. As far as the language, I have heard tell that what was said was merely terms of endearment. Understanding where you were and who you were talking to, you took it and gave it out without malice but had enough sense not to cross the line, as it were, and really get personal almost to the point where if you didn't say anything you would be asked if there was anything wrong with you. The banter in the barber shop was classic and struck a funny bone. The ending of the movie was , for me, inconclusive. I guess Clint dying and laying dead on the lawn in the shape of a crucifix about said it all for a man who came full circle with himself and his God.

mcvet57103
06-21-09, 09:59 AM
I in a lot of ways am like Clint in the movie. I hate what is happening in my neighborhood, and wish I could move somewhere else, but my finances won't allow it right now. Items in my yard have been vandalized numerous times, found a bag of marijuana in my driveway one morning, my car has been vandalized, loud neighbors, uncut lawns, unpainted homes, and the list goes on and on. I see the situations presented in the movie happening here. If I could recoup what I have invested, or at least break even, I would move today. He portrays a guy who worked hard all his life, retires in a neigborhood that used to be quiet, and family friendly, and watches helplessly as it goes down the sh!tter because those moving in don't give a tinkers damn about anybody but themselves, or are willing to stand up for what's right. I don't even know my neighbors names and I've lived here for going on 8 years. :evilgrin: SF

sparkie
06-21-09, 10:12 AM
I sure spent a lot of time after the movie explaining all that 'slang' to my son,,LOL.

GIrene
06-21-09, 12:38 PM
I loved it and kinda agree with the some of the assertions put out here.

Its seems only Clint can touch my emotional strings. Million Dollar Baby, Flags of our Fathers, and this one are the only movies I've ever watched that evoke any types of emotion out of me, and in my opinion thats the art of movies in its highest form.

Especially flags, a fellow Marine and friend of mine had to sit in the theatre with me while the credits rolled and I balled it... Why? Sorta for the same reason someone mentioned before, with all my enthusiasm in military history/WW2 I realized how horrible our vets are treated and are usually just ignored, even the popular ones, I made a mission to never forget the names of the 2nd group of Flag Raisers.

Now Gran Torino hit me hard because self-sacrifice I feel is a very noble concept, but wrong in other ways too. He gave his (again if you think about it) so those people could live safely.