PDA

View Full Version : Marine retires after 30 years

thedrifter
06-15-09, 07:53 AM
Marine retires after 30 years

Ricki Barker
Staff Writer

Monday, June 15, 2009

ALBANY - Master Gunnery Sgt. Ira L. Thompson Jr. was retired from the Marine Corps during a ceremony held at the Marine Corps Logistics Base Friday after 30 years of honored service.

Thompson enlisted in the Marine Corps when he was 17 years old in 1979. He said that he has his mother to thank for his joining the Corps because she finally agreed to sign his enlistment papers.

"She really didn't want to see me go," said Thompson during his speech Friday. "We finally talked her into it and then she changed her mind, but it was too late by then I was already gone."

During his 30 years with the Marine Corps Thompson has achieved the highest rank possible for an enlisted man, master gunnery sergeant. While speaking to his younger counterparts Friday, he said that focus was the reason he was able to achieve his rank.

"Nobody ever told me I would be a master gunns," said Thompson. "My favorite word is focus, if you focus on the task at hand you will be able to accomplish what you wish. You have got to want it."

Commanding General Marine Corps Logistics Command and fellow retiring officer Maj. Gen. Willie J. Williams said that Thompson was a perfect speaker and role model to young Marines.

"I would always see him as the keynote speaker at presentations and he was always talking to people," said Williams. "I soon realized why he was so good at talking. He was a recruiter."

Thompson said that young Marines must believe that nothing is out of reach and to never be discouraged. He said that his wife, Danielle, has always been a big support of his career and has been there through many of the family's moves.

"One time we moved 13 times in one year," he said. "You have never moved until you have had to make an international move."

Thompson said that his time in the Marine Corps can be summed up in one word, change.

"I have seen so much change during my time," he said. "So many new changes and new experiences."

Thompson said that he is extremely grateful for his experience in the Marine Corps and that his advice for younger Marines is to remember that they are servants.

"I love what I do,' he said. "The younger generation needs to focus on what they are doing and remember who you are serving. We are serving the country and our people."

The Marine said that he believes that retirement is not the end of his journey.

"My wife just finished her RN program and she is with the Navy," Thompson said. "SO we have another seven years of moving to do."

He said that he has many plans for the next couple of years and that he is excited about the possibilities that await him.

"I strongly believe that I've made it halfway through the course," said Thompson. "I can't wait to see what happens."

Ellie