PDA

View Full Version : Greece Marine honored for services in Afghanistan

thedrifter
06-14-09, 08:45 AM
June 14, 2009

Greece Marine honored for services in Afghanistan

Meaghan M. McDermott
Staff writer

U.S. Marine Capt. Markus Trouerbach spent most of 2008 living with and training Afghan National Army soldiers on the border between Afghanistan and Pakistan.

As Company Team Leader, Embedded Training Team 7-3, Trouerbach helped plan and execute more than 150 security patrols and combat operations. His deep knowledge of Afghan culture helped him forge strong ties with local residents that led to tips about upcoming attacks.

He helped organize five humanitarian assistance missions to distribute medical assistance and other supplies. During a firefight with enemy forces, he left the safety of his own position to treat the wounds of an injured Afghan soldier, while continuing to direct his team's mortars and weapons fire.

Surrounded by friends and family at his Long Pond Road home on Saturday, Trouerbach was honored for his heroism with the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal with Combat Distinguishing Device.

"This citation speaks volumes about (Trouerbach's) character," said U.S. Marine Capt. Mason Harlow, inspector instructor with Alpha Co. Anti-Terrorism Battalion on Paul Road. "Especially with the 'V' for valor, this is a very, very big deal."

A Desert Storm veteran, Trouerbach, 41, is a 1986 graduate of Charlotte High School. He is the youngest of nine siblings. He joined the military right out of high school and has served 21 years.

"At that time, a lot of my male friends were really heading in the wrong direction, and if I hadn't joined the Marines, I'd probably be in the same spot they were," he said.

Now a student at Roberts Wesleyan College pursuing a degree in operational management, Trouerbach is looking forward to spending at least the next 14 months at home in Greece with his wife of 15 years, Christina, and their four children. He's also writing a book about his experiences embedded with the Afghan National Army in Nuristan.

Trouerbach's mother, Klasina Trouerbach, became teary-eyed when Harlow pinned the green-ribboned medal on her son's khaki service uniform.

"I'm so proud of him," she said.

MCDERMOT@DemocratandChronicle.com

Ellie