PDA

View Full Version : Hookin' and Jabbin'...

thedrifter
07-20-03, 06:27 AM
Hookin' and Jabbin'...
Fighters gain skills; have 'swingin' good time
Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification Number: 2003716193955
Story by Consolidated Public Affair Office

CAMP FOSTER, Okinawa, Japan(July 15, 2003) -- Ten servicemembers from the Okinawa Boxing Club duked it out in five four-round exhibition matches recently at the Foster Field House.

The bouts were held so each fighter could get some practice, show their skills, and to bring some attention to the Okinawa Boxing Club.

The first match of the evening was in the 152-pound weight class that pitted Kevin Jenkins against Armando Koci. The match started off even, with both fighters trading an even amount of punches. But the last three rounds belonged to Jenkins. Koci dodged a few of Jenkins punches, but he eventually wore down and started taking several blows in the last two rounds. Jenkins came out on top on the scorecard, 24 to 17 punches landed, with no fouls committed in the match.

Andrew Ampofo defeated Robert Jackson 25 to 17 in the second event of the night. Both fighters did a good job of trying to evade and counter the others attacks for the first two rounds, which got the Field House crowd into the match. But in the end, Ampofo landed more quality punches. Jackson slipped during one onslaught by Ampofo, and was given a standing eight count, but did not have any points deducted from his score. No fouls were committed in the bout.

In the third, and one of the most even matches of the night, Jimmy Owensby outfought Zack Navo in the 178-pound weight class. Both fighters tried to sneak in jabs past their opponent's defense. With both fighters staying close on the scorecard, and the crowd getting more involved in the bout, the match went down to the final round. In the last minute of the final round, Navo started to show his fatigue. Owensby landed a quick flurry of three punches that connected to take the match 28-26.

"I like the art and beauty of boxing," Owensby said. "I started with martial arts but I like boxing because you evade and out-think your opponent"

The Cutoff, La. native, who admitted that his best punch is the cross, had advice for those interested in taking up the sport.

"Come to the gym with a towel, heart and a good attitude and you'll learn a lot," he said.

The fourth match of the night was in the 201-pound weight class, and featured Carlos Bravo out dueling Sean Robinson. Both men came out eager to land the first blow, which led to a quick barrage of punches by both men. Bravo and Robinson wore themselves down by the second round. Encore by Bravo, who won by an 18 to 16 decision.

Two big heavyweights concluded the evening's events with a hard fought and action packed final bout. Daniel Miranda and Ralph Herrera slugged it out in the 201 plus weight class match. Both men traded big punches and heavy blows for the first two rounds. Miranda wore down Hereda mid-way through the second, and Herrera was given a standing eight count. After that, Herrera spent most of the last two rounds trying to tie up Miranda, as both men started to show signs of fatigue. Herrera received another standing eight count after a series of blows from Miranda landed undefended. After the final bell, the scorecards put Miranda over Herrera, 22 to 17.

After all the matches ended, the red corner had swept the blue corner five matches to zero.

"I trained every one of those fighters in there," said Emmanuel Simmons, Okinawa Boxing Club trainer. "Just to see the excitement in their eyes, in anticipation of competing here, made it worthwhile for me. I hope a lot more people get involved. I'm gonna be here to three more years and this program is going to take off."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200371711611/$file/boxing.gif

Jimmy Owensby slips in a jab past the blocking of Zack Navo in action during the third bout of the night. Servicemembers from the Okinawa Boxing Club duked it out in five four-round exhibition matches at the Foster Field House. The bouts were held so each fighter could get some practice, show their skills, and to bring some attention to the Okinawa Boxing Club.

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: