PDA

View Full Version : Blue Star Group gives flags to vets' families

thedrifter
06-13-09, 06:40 AM
Blue Star Group gives flags to vets' families

by Bob Campbell
Midland Reporter-Telegram
Published: Saturday, June 13, 2009 1:19 AM CDT
The human side of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan was front and center Thursday night in the outdoor dining area behind K.D.'s Bar BQ at 3109 Garden City Highway, where the families of soldiers, Marines and airmen gave updates on their loved ones' service and, most importantly, their well being.

Sponsored by Blue Star Military Family Resource Group, the event also honored the Patriot Guard Riders, whose spokesman, Bill McNeil of Midland, told 40 people that the Riders convene on their motorcycles from around the Permian Basin to salute returning veterans with flag reviews and ensure they get the appreciation they should.

More than a dozen families were given service flags and introduced by Blue Star President Donnie McClure, including Midland's Richard and Carolyn Cotte, who have two sons and a daughter in law in the Army. "We love it," said Cotte, who served 10 years in the Navy.

"We're proud of them. The military is a good place for kids because it gives them life skills and more purpose in life. They're doing good and that's all you can ask for."

Cotte's son Richard and daughter-in-law Lara are Army captains while his younger son Daniel is in the 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg, N.C., preparing for his fourth tour of duty.

Recently returned veteran Eric Rose, a 2001 Midland High graduate, will enroll this fall at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin as a mechanical engineering student. "I hated school when I attended college for two years before going into the Army, but now I've never been so excited about anything in my life," said Rose, 26.

Although his two tours were stressful, he said, there were positives with the 168th Combat Engineers like securing areas for the construction of schools and playgrounds, distributing water filters and seeing the Iraqi police become independent.

"They called it 'March Madness' when we went into Sadr City in March 2008," Rose said. "We took it to those groups, mostly al-Qaida, and cleaned it up. That was one of the last nasty places."

He said it is gratifying now to see that the United States has won the war in Iraq.

Bob Campbell can be reached at campbell@mrt.com.

Ellie