PDA

View Full Version : Poole shipping soon with some thoughts

jb305
06-12-09, 06:59 PM
Hi, I ship in July and have been in the DEP for only 3 months, I have managed to my IST stats from my first poolee meet 3 months ago that was
bodyweight 210 @ 5"9
pullups ; 2
situps; 50
1 1/2 mile ; 14;50
to
bodyweight 195 @ 5"9
pullups ; 10
situps ; 100
1 1/2 12;30

Not sure how well I will do in boot, I haven't gone for a 3mile run yet because I was told by my recruit officer and a few people that
just going out and running 3 miles is not going to improve you at all, that aerobic exercises will never improve your aerobic performance.
That the best thing to do was anaerobic exercises(ex sprints, interval training) so I went with that for 3months, and it improved my run by alot, I have less than 1month before I ship to PI and my only cocern is the PFT, that 3 mile run that I have never done.
Should I keep doing this for the next month? Or what can I do at this point
Thanks in advance

Fievel
06-12-09, 07:43 PM
Hi, I ship in July and have been in the DEP for only 3 months, I have managed to my IST stats from my first poolee meet 3 months ago that was
bodyweight 210 @ 5"9
pullups ; 2
situps; 50
1 1/2 mile ; 14;50
to
bodyweight 195 @ 5"9
pullups ; 10
situps ; 100
1 1/2 12;30

Not sure how well I will do in boot, I haven't gone for a 3mile run yet because I was told by my recruit officer and a few people that
just going out and running 3 miles is not going to improve you at all, that aerobic exercises will never improve your aerobic performance.
That the best thing to do was anaerobic exercises(ex sprints, interval training) so I went with that for 3months, and it improved my run by alot, I have less than 1month before I ship to PI and my only cocern is the PFT, that 3 mile run that I have never done.
Thanks in advance

Keep working on your running. Hell, do run sprint runs. The Marine Corps will work you up to 3 miles from a mile and a half. Just make sure you keep working on your running so that it is easier when you are running in boot camp. Running at someone else's pace is different than running on your own, and the last thing you want to do is fall out. You could also try strapping on some weights when you run ...

jb305
06-13-09, 12:46 PM
Thank you sir, will do that.
Also today was my third and last Poole meet and we did a Combat Fitness Test and I got the second highest number for the ammo can lift - 95 :D
Then we did an motivational group jog across the street while we held/stopped traffic for like 3miles LOL

Eldridge0311
06-13-09, 01:12 PM
Good job and keep it up, you will do awesome in Bootcamp.

Just a quick question how much do the ammo boxes weigh?

introspect
06-13-09, 01:15 PM
Thank you sir, will do that.
Also today was my third and last Poole meet and we did a Combat Fitness Test and I got the second highest number for the ammo can lift - 95 :D
Then we did an motivational group jog across the street while we held/stopped traffic for like 3miles LOL

Wow I was there. I'm gaby of course you remember me there was only like 4 girls lol. That was nowhere near 3 miles!!! But stopping traffic was fun :)

My last meeting too I leave the week after next :O

introspect
06-13-09, 01:16 PM

They are supposed to be 30lbs. but the Marines were saying ours were 29lbs!

jb305
06-13-09, 02:05 PM

Thanks, I hope so..My run time is the only thing that might hold me back a bit

Wow I was there. I'm gaby of course you remember me there was only like 4 girls lol. That was nowhere near 3 miles!!! But stopping traffic was fun :)

My last meeting too I leave the week after next :O
oh yeah you were lol, and Yeah I dont know it just felt like we jogged for a while but since we were tired it felt long haha
But yeah it was hella fun...

srinaldo86
06-13-09, 08:12 PM
Your run time will get better pretty quick... So long as you pass your Initial IST and don't get dropped to PCP. You'll have a pretty crappy couple days before you take it so it wont be like it is now where you're rested and healthy. You'll be getting sick, stressed shortly after you arrive... Be prepared to sit in the receiving squad bay for about 48 hours without sleep with 200 other 'recruits' from all over the eastern side of the country when you first get there. That's just a recipe for illness. A lot of poolees go with passing scores and then fail their IST because of it.

Fievel
06-13-09, 09:05 PM
Your run time will get better pretty quick... So long as you pass your Initial IST and don't get dropped to PCP. You'll have a pretty crappy couple days before you take it so it wont be like it is now where you're rested and healthy. You'll be getting sick, stressed shortly after you arrive... Be prepared to sit in the receiving squad bay for about 48 hours without sleep with 200 other 'recruits' from all over the eastern side of the country when you first get there. That's just a recipe for illness. A lot of poolees go with passing scores and then fail their IST because of it.

That's no joke. I remember the first two days of receiving, sitting there signing paperwork and not sleeping. It got to the point that no one cared what the papers said, they were just signing them and waiting for the next stack to come. I remember sitting there all dehydrated and feeling like I was going to pass out, but I didn't dare ask to get up and get a drink! I can't say we got screwed into anything, and there was quite a few things where I was later thinking to myself I signed up for that?! COOL!

srinaldo86
06-14-09, 01:24 AM
That's no joke. I remember the first two days of receiving, sitting there signing paperwork and not sleeping. It got to the point that no one cared what the papers said, they were just signing them and waiting for the next stack to come. I remember sitting there all dehydrated and feeling like I was going to pass out, but I didn't dare ask to get up and get a drink! I can't say we got screwed into anything, and there was quite a few things where I was later thinking to myself I signed up for that?! COOL!

Haha you got that right Cpl!

I was just thinking about how we were all upstairs sitting on the tile floor keeping each other awake for no reason what so ever. No one told us we couldn't sleep and we weren't doing anything for hours on end, its very similar to how things are now actually... lol.

ameriken
06-15-09, 07:02 PM
bodyweight 210 @ 5"9
pullups ; 2
situps; 50
1 1/2 mile ; 14;50
to
bodyweight 195 @ 5"9
pullups ; 10
situps ; 100
1 1/2 12;30

Thanks in advance

I think you're doing fine. When I went to boot some 30 plus years ago, I never ran more than a mile (one time). I finished boot camp with a 20:30 3 mile which was way better than I thought I'd do. Dont worry about it, remember, boot camp is designed to take lazy unmotivated asses like mine and convert them to motivated Marines. You'll do fine.

Fievel
06-15-09, 07:14 PM
I think you're doing fine. When I went to boot some 30 plus years ago, I never ran more than a mile (one time). I finished boot camp with a 20:30 3 mile which was way better than I thought I'd do. Dont worry about it, remember, boot camp is designed to take lazy unmotivated asses like mine and convert them to motivated Marines. You'll do fine.

When I shipped to boot camp, I couldn't run 1/2 mile without stopping. It was pathetic. I think I barely made the 1 1/2 mile run time. I could do crunches like it was cool, and I could do about 11 pullups, but running was not my strong point. I wasn't fat, either. I went into boot camp at 6'0" 155 pounds.

By the time I left boot camp, I was running 3 miles with minimal problems. By the time I left MCT, I was running 4 miles with the platoon and still wishing that we could go a little longer (I don't know why, but I fell in love with the scenery around Camp Pendleton).

Now, I'm out, been out for 5 years, and I still run about 3 miles just because I get bored. Granted, it's at a little slower of a pace than when I was in, but I don't stop. Running turned out to be one of those ways for me to release my anger and pent up aggression.

jb305
06-15-09, 07:35 PM
Thank you all for the responses so far, Still doing sprints trying to expand my lung capacity more(to improve my endurance for long distance running) and just counting the days for my ship date!

introspect
06-16-09, 06:13 AM
That the best thing to do was anaerobic exercises(ex sprints, interval training)

Can you explain a little more how aerobic exercises won't help you at all? I ship monday and I haven't been doing many sprints but jogging 3-3.5 miles twice a day along with strength training. This isn't going to help at all? :scared:

jb305
06-16-09, 07:00 AM
I talked to My friends father(is a high school track and field coach who was in the coast guard) about me enlisting into the Marines and about what can I do to improve my long distance running, and the first thing he said was don't just go out there and attempt to run 3miles(if you can run that) its all about interval work, sprints, anything that involves elevating the heart rate tremendously for a certain period of time and stopping it rather quickly..That this will expand your lung volume capacity = Increase your endurance
oh and the guys in the office said that sprints were the best too :P

Fievel
06-16-09, 11:23 AM
I talked to My friends father(is a high school track and field coach who was in the coast guard) about me enlisting into the Marines and about what can I do to improve my long distance running, and the first thing he said was don't just go out there and attempt to run 3miles(if you can run that) its all about interval work, sprints, anything that involves elevating the heart rate tremendously for a certain period of time and stopping it rather quickly..That this will expand your lung volume capacity = Increase your endurance
oh and the guys in the office said that sprints were the best too :P

I would have to agree with them. Like I said, I had no problem running the 3 miles for the PFT. We sometimes did sprints or "Indian runs" that ALWAYS kicked my ass. If you can do run-sprint-runs or something along those lines, then you should be able to bring your run time down. I was never a fast runner per se (21 minute 3 mile) but working on sprinting will help you develop your lungs better. Breath control is also important. Slow, deep, controlled breaths will do you a lot better than sucking wind rapidly and hyperventilating yourself.

MrRobert
06-16-09, 02:47 PM
Well, I think anyone who told you that running a 3 mile wouldn't be good for you is an idiot. You're body needs to adjust to it. You run the 3 miles your body will work itself into that type of shape where it can endure a 3 mile run. Watch your run time, it will improve a great deal. Once you get to the point when you can run 3 miles and do it comfy, I would suggest running the sprints. And doing things like indian runs. But imo, and I just got out of boot camp a couple months ago. Sprints won't help you very much. You need to learn how to pace yourself. How to run at a fast rate of speed and endure it for 3 miles. Learn how to correctly breath while running. That will help you a great deal as well.

Doing distance runs is prolly the best thing you can do for yourself. That and pull ups. I'd suggest the drill instructors routine if you can find that post. That will post your pull ups a ton.

Hope that helps.