PDA

View Full Version : My boy is leaving

LHMHMOM
06-12-09, 02:14 PM
Well, we have been waiting for a year and the time is almost here. My son went to MEPS today to finalize the paperwork and will leave Monday for San Diego. We will drop him off at the local recruiting office on Sunday afternoon and they will take him to Houston. He will spend the night in Houston and take his oath on Monday morning. My husband, son and I are also going to spend the night in Houston so we can go see him take his oath. Maybe we will be able to spend a little time with him.

Wish us luck. Mom is going to need it!!!

Thank you all for all of the support in the last year. I haven't posted much but I have been reading a lot and you just can't possibly know how much it has helped me. If my son turns out to be the kind of man that I have gotten to know on these boards then he has definitely made the right decision!!

Carol

ScottsMom
06-12-09, 02:54 PM
Keep your chin up mom! Your son will do just fine and will come home a United States Marine! Once the letters start coming, it will get a lot easier for you, oh and just wait until Family Day. All I have to say about that is,,,,,, bring lots and lots of tissues. Hang in there!

usmcholmans
06-12-09, 09:35 PM
(Asking permission to re-board here as it's been too da** long since I've posted)

So, your boy will be a MCRD SD Marine Recruit, eh? Good to go! I have two "Hollywood Marines" myself! Congrats to your son and your family! I'm so glad you are supportive of your son's decision and commitment. I'll second the sentiment about Family Day...Ohhh, that experience, that first recognition of your newly-minted Marine son...UNPARALLELED.

If I can help you in any way, please ask. Is there something specific I might help with?

One of the most comprehensive sites you might find helpful:
http://www.usmcgradsandiego.org/
(Max is FANTASTIC and is an Angel on Earth...God BLESS ya, Max!!)
Here, a link that you can use to follow his training:
http://www.mcrdsd.usmc.mil/RTR/Copy%20of%20RTR_Matrix%201.htm

Just a bit of info:

http://www.mcrdsd.usmc.mil/RTR/index%20recruit_training_links.htm

What happens when Recruits arrive and how do they form into Platoons?

There are four Recruit Training Battalions at Parris Island, and three at San Diego. Each Battalion has several Companies, each Company has two Series, and each Series has three Platoons:

1st Recruit Battalion: Companies A (Alpha), B (Bravo), C (Charlie), D (Delta)
2nd Recruit Battalion: Companies E (Echo), F (Fox), G (Golf), H (Hotel)
3rd Recruit Battalion: Companies I (India), K (Kilo), L (Lima), and M (Mike )
4th Recruit Battalion (Woman Marines only, and only at Parris Island): Companies N (November), O (Oscar), and P (Papa)

Each platoon is given a four digit number. The first digit refers to the battalion (i.e. all platoons numbered 1000 -1999 are in 1st Battalion, all platoons number 2000-2999 are in 2nd Battalion, etc.)

Recruits arrive at boot camp every day of the week and spend up to a week “forming” . Recruits are held until enough to form a Series are together. The first thing recruits do on arrival is get a haircut. Then they get their basic issue of cammies, underwear, boots, health and comfort items, etc. They spend the next few days filling out papers, taking tests, etc., and learning some basics, such as how to wear their uniform and basic drill maneuvers. During this time, they are under the care of a "Receiving Drill Instructor" (not the DIs they will have for the 12 weeks of boot camp). Once all the Platoons are formed and the basic instruction and paper work is complete, the recruits are turned over to their DI team.

The recruits that arrive early in the week (maybe Monday through Wednesday) might be assigned to the first three platoons of the series (say, for example, Platoons 1065, 1066, and 1067). They will be called the "Lead Series". The recruits that arrive later in the week will be assigned to the remaining platoons, (1068, 1069, and 1070). They will be called the "Follow Series".

Please, do not hesitate to holler at me if I can help in any way. Welcome to the rollercoaster, and welcome to the Corps Family!!

Lori

:thumbup:

usmcholmans
06-12-09, 09:37 PM
Keep your chin up mom! Your son will do just fine and will come home a United States Marine! Once the letters start coming, it will get a lot easier for you, oh and just wait until Family Day. All I have to say about that is,,,,,, bring lots and lots of tissues. Hang in there!

Amen! And do yourself a favor: wear comfy shoes (you're gonna walk MILES!) and STAY OFF THE PARADE DECK! LOL

L.

SGT7477
06-12-09, 10:27 PM
No need to worry a Marine DI will be his Mother and Father, Have Faith.

Wyoming
06-12-09, 10:37 PM
Lots of letters and take all the pictures you can take.

It might embarress the hell out of him, but someday .....

sparkie
06-12-09, 10:43 PM
A man is gettin built,,,,,,, Stand aside,,,,,,,No worries,,,,,,,,,, He will so love you,,,,,,,

LivTooley
06-16-09, 12:39 AM
My boy left on the same day and is also in San Diego. I believe they will be in the same company... Lima. How are you doing? I spent my day crying on and off. I felt a wave of relief after the "This is recruit (name)" call.

ColdBlooded
06-16-09, 01:43 AM
Hey, All I can tell you is that your son is in rough and tough hands but in the end they are good hands. Drill Instructors are like Anti-Heroes (people who do good deeds but put on a face of hatred and pretend like they don't mean to do those good deeds.) You're son will be well taken care of for ex: 8 hrs of sleep, three meals a day, plenty of excersise, and given great discipline. When you see you're son again on that Parade Deck you will look at him in a completely different way. "Don't worry, be happy."

LHMHMOM
06-16-09, 09:09 AM
Thank you all so much for the wisdom and advice. We had a great weekend. The one thing that I have wanted for a year now was to be able to send him off without him seeing me break down. I did it!!! I still haven't cried!! He is so happy and excited that all I feel is excitement and pride. I will miss him terribly but I can't imagine him doing anything else right now but becoming a Marine!!

I actually received the I'm here phone call this morning and he sounded great. Didn't even sound tired like I expected. ScottsMom, I gave him a letter to read in the hotel room the night before he left and I have already written another one to send. My whole family is waiting for me to receive his address so that they can all write him. He will be receiving LOTS of mail.

Big Al, my son doesn't embarrass easily but I think I did it yesterday. Six members of my family were there and the boy he's going as buddy's with had three family members there. Every time those boys would get up all of us would get up and follow them where ever they went. We were afraid it would be the last time we would see them. Well, when they went to eat the families weren't allowed to go in. Me, my mom and the other boys sister stood with our faces pressed to the window watching them eat!! They just laughed and shook their heads at us and tried to ignore us. It will definately be a moment for them to laugh about later!! I took a lot of pictures but I don't think that bothered him too much (I guess not considering the window episode).

Thanks Sparkie, I keep hearing about the love and respect that they have for their mom when they finish. He's always been a good kid and I know that he loves me but it sounds like I can expect a deeper more grown up relationship with him when he returns. I'm really looking forward to that.

usmcholmans, thank you for the links and the offer of help. I'll keep that in mind if I need anything. We have always been supportive of his decision. Even in the beginning when we knew nothing about the military and I had serious reservations, he had our support. I signed those papers when he was barely 17 because it was what he wanted to do and he was more sure about it than I have ever seen him about anything. After signing, I talked to as many people as I could to get as much information as I could. I found out about this site and others where I have learned so much about the Marines. The more I learned, the more comfortable I was with his decision. Now, I can't imagine him doing anything else. I'm so happy for him to have that special something, whatever it is, that I have seen in the Marines that I have been exposed to. I'm also thrilled with the idea of myself and my husband being part of the Marine Family.

SGT7477 and ColdBlooded, I know that he is in good hands. I also know that they aren't Mama's hands and they will be rough and tough. My son tends to thrive in the rough, tough environment. I know that he has never been exposed to anything quite this extreme but I'm not at all worried about him. I know he will do great and I have faith in the DI's ability to push them to their limits and beyond without going too far.

Thanks again and I will be here often!!!

Carol

Wyoming
06-16-09, 09:33 AM
The one thing that I have wanted for a year now was to be able to send him off without him seeing me break down. I did it!!! I still haven't cried!

Wanna bet in 13 weeks when he marches across the grinder at MCRDSD, and IF, you can find him the sea of new Marines, you bust down and bawl?:cry:

LHMHMOM
06-16-09, 10:28 AM
I wouldn't take that bet if my life depended on it!!! But I know (and he will know) that they are tears of love and pride, not sadness and fear so that will be ok.

LivTooley
06-16-09, 03:29 PM
My boy left on the same day as yours. He didn't want us to go with him to MEPS because he want to say his goodbye at home. Although I protested, my husband jumped in and made me see that it was hard on our son too.

Alan, our son has had his eye on the Marine Corps since he was 12 years old, so we new all along that he was destined to leave home soon after high school.

I wasn't so good about not crying in front of him, but I didn't try real hard either. When we made the short trip back home after dropping him off at the Recruiter's we had a tough time going back in the house, because it just was not the same. I know my husband (Alan's step-dad) loves him, but I had no idea how much until I saw him crying and we had to drag ourselves in the house. One would think that after watching five children leave home, it wouldn't be so hard on us. Boy, were we wrong!

Yes, I know I probably didn't make much sense here, but hey, I'm still walking around in a stupor. A few more days, and I'll suck it up and drive on. I am a bit better today, since I got the much anticipated call last night.

LHMHMOM, we should stay in touch, since we will be making the same journey to San Diego come September.

LHMHMOM
06-16-09, 04:15 PM
Hi Liv,

Yes, we should definately keep in touch. Our boys may end up in the same platoon!

I think the thing that helped me hold it together the most was all of the knowledge that I have gained over the last year. I've learned so much from this website and others. My husband and I have also spent a lot of time with the recruiters and other poolies. We often cooked for their poolie functions. We loved doing it but it also gave us lots of opportunities to visit with the recruiters on a more personal level. Not only in the office getting the information that we need as Marine parents, but getting to know these men as people and getting to know their families. They are wonderful people and I know that I can call on any of them at any point in time for anything under the sun. They also know they can call on us in the same way.

We also have to remember that we have done our job as parents. Obviously we did something right if this is the path they have chosen. Now, it's up to them to make their dreams come true!!

Hang in there!!

Carol

LivTooley
06-16-09, 05:02 PM
Hello Carol!

It is almost certain that they will be the same company.

What I think both helped and hindered me is that several of us, including me have served in the military. Knowing what to expect allowed me the knowledge that Alan would be okay. It also made me anxious as a mother, because I knew how tough this is going to be. In the Marine's, it's tougher. Yet, having that knowledge base, made it easier to not only accept his decision, but also to rally him and help him build the excitement he had when he left here. He had a great attitude when he called us from the San Diego airport. He said "it's not that long" - he's ready for this.

Mother pride coming - When Alan called from San Diego, he asked if he had anymore calling cards left at home because there are some recruits with none. He cut his call short so that he can let those who didn't have any calling cards use his. He's a great guy! :angel:

How do we add each other to our friend lists?

Toodles for now,
Olivia

LHMHMOM
06-17-09, 08:03 AM
I think I have sent you a friends request. I've never done it before but I hope it worked. What branch of the service did you serve in?

LivTooley
06-17-09, 05:31 PM
It looks like I have a notification, might be that friend request.

I served in the Army National Guard for six years and the Navy Reserve for four years. I miss it and am considering going back in. Why not? I don't have anymore kids left at home; might as well do something with my free time.

jennifer
06-17-09, 06:14 PM
Just think, if a female (such as myslef) can do it, then your son can most definately do it too!! And keep those letters flowing. Receiving letters always helped me along the way. :)

LivTooley
06-17-09, 09:00 PM
Just think, if a female (such as myslef) can do it, then your son can most definately do it too!! And keep those letters flowing. Receiving letters always helped me along the way. :)

Thank you! I have no doubt that my son will make it. He was raised to never give up; a product of being the kid of a military mom and having a military family. :evilgrin:

Letters? Of course, I already started one. I will write in it everyday until I have a mailing address and send it to him.

Thank you for your service. I wish you a successful career.:thumbup:

LivTooley
06-17-09, 09:03 PM

I have a question! What are the chances of getting anymore phone calls from my son? Do the DI's use calls as a reward?

Thank you!

Fievel
06-17-09, 10:52 PM
I have a question! What are the chances of getting anymore phone calls from my son? Do the DI's use calls as a reward?

Thank you!

Not in my experiences. We had an initial call when we arrived to let our families know we were okay, then I got to make one more phone call sometime near the middle to end of boot camp.

LivTooley
06-17-09, 11:04 PM
Thank you or answering the question. I didn't figure I would get anymore calls; just hoping. I will keep my phone with me at all times, just in case. Gotta have a dream. I look forward to getting letters from him, so I know he is still okay.

Fievel
06-17-09, 11:45 PM
Thank you or answering the question. I didn't figure I would get anymore calls; just hoping. I will keep my phone with me at all times, just in case. Gotta have a dream. I look forward to getting letters from him, so I know he is still okay.

If i remember right, the second call I made was almost a half hour long. It was great. I can't remember for the life of me when we got to make that call, though, but I know it was towards the middle to end of boot camp. Letters were the means of communication, and they were definitely a morale booster. Write as often as possible, you can't write too much! He might not be able to write back all the time, but your letters to him will keep him strong.

LivTooley
06-17-09, 11:52 PM
If i remember right, the second call I made was almost a half hour long. It was great. I can't remember for the life of me when we got to make that call, though, but I know it was towards the middle to end of boot camp. Letters were the means of communication, and they were definitely a morale booster. Write as often as possible, you can't write too much! He might not be able to write back all the time, but your letters to him will keep him strong.

Half an hour? Wow! I hope we get that lucky! I will definitely write him lots. I remember how important letters from home were to me. He has lots of friends at home waiting for his address, so he will be bombarded with letters. :banana:

Fievel
06-18-09, 12:21 AM
Half an hour? Wow! I hope we get that lucky! I will definitely write him lots. I remember how important letters from home were to me. He has lots of friends at home waiting for his address, so he will be bombarded with letters. :banana:

Don't quote me on that as I think schedules have changed a bit since I went through, but I think it was :D It might have actually been between 15-20 minutes, but it was a good amount of time, considering.

LivTooley
06-18-09, 12:28 AM
Don't quote me on that as I think schedules have changed a bit since I went through, but I think it was :D It might have actually been between 15-20 minutes, but it was a good amount of time, considering.

I won't quote you. But 15-20 minutes is better than the 30 second scripted call. Yes, it was 30 seconds total, according to my phone. :( Five minutes would be better than that.

LHMHMOM
06-18-09, 08:50 AM
I already have four letters to send to my son. My entire family will be writting to him so he will have lots of mail. I'm also sending him jokes and things that he can share with the others.

We went to a going away party for his recruiter last night and all of the recruiters talked about how well my son will do. They think he has the potential to go very far. They had some concerns about some of the other kids who left this week but not my son. His recruiter is going to California so he may be able to see my son while in boot camp. I told him he better take pictures and send them to me!!! I was joking though, I'm sure he won't be able to do that. It would be nice though if he can see my son and let me know how he's doing.

LHMHMOM
06-18-09, 09:06 AM
I have the matrix and a lot of information about what the recruits will be doing each day once training starts but not a whole lot about the first week. What are they doing today? The recruiters told me that he was in medical yesterday but I didn't ask about today.