PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate personal debate

jstengle13
06-12-09, 03:26 AM
I want to be a Marine. I want to prove to myself that I can do something that a lot of people would not think I can do. I have the drive and determination.

If I were to start my journey to become a Marine I have no doubt in my mind that I could get through boot camp. It's what happens after that in which I am nervous. I want work in administration. I have always enjoyed doing these sort of tasks. I am five foot and four inches tall at one hundred and fifteen pounds. I know that in reality being out in the front lines with all of the men, I probably couldn't pull the same load. I like to think of myself as a realist. How likely is it, if I were to go through all the steps, would I be put in the combat area?

Please do not be hateful towards me. This is a serious inquiry. I want to push myself to the limits and then go further. I LOVE challenge and I thrive on it.

sparkie
06-12-09, 06:27 AM
Google this,,,,, How big was Audie Murphy?

jstengle13
06-12-09, 06:55 AM
He is quite impressive. I actually knew of him because of his movie but never researched him. Thank you for pointing him out!
Does any one have any information though on where admin are generally placed? Do they tend to get shipped off a lot or are they generally here? I am debating talking to a recruiter but I thought I could get some input here first.

ArtyOps
06-12-09, 07:14 AM
They are generally placed in offices throughout the Marine Corps. They get shipped out just as much as any other Marine in the units they are assigned to. That's the thing about it. There is no "generally". It all depends on what unit you go to. Talk to a recruiter, and continue to talk here too.

jstengle13
06-12-09, 07:17 AM
Thank you. I was kind of thinking that was how it worked.

sparkie
06-12-09, 07:25 AM
My son-in-law is in the sandbox, Army, is a truck driver by MOS, Issue weapon is the SAW, and is currently stuck in Admin. Go figure.

Marine84
06-12-09, 07:37 AM
Admin is needed everywhere but, you always have to keep in mind that, if the Corps needs you to fill something else, they can pull you.

jstengle13
06-12-09, 07:55 AM
It would just be apart of a challenge that I want to take. I guess it is just nerves that keep me second guessing. I have wanted to be a Marine since I was in high school. I was going to give it a shot when I was 18 but chose the family road instead. I am not a stay at home mom. I mean, I am but that is not me. I can do more and I want to do more. I have been studying at colleges here and there and as thrilling as that is (yawn) I don't want to die with out doing something that I wanted to do and pushing myself as far as I could be pushed. I try to push myself at home but it just is not enough.

Thanks for all the reply's. I like hearing what every one has to say.

skipper72
06-12-09, 07:56 AM
IMHO, the primary reason for being in the Corps is NOT for self-enhancement. It is to serve, protect, and defend the United States of America and its Constitution from its enemies, both foreign and domestic. Attitude is everything !

jstengle13
06-12-09, 08:05 AM
Of course! I agree! That is what I meant by what I want to do. I want to serve our country. But it takes a lot of "personal enhancement" to do that which needs to be desired as well. Without that you don't get to the next step right? Perhaps I need a boost in my patriotic attitude to get me to my next step, which is the recruiting office....

skipper72
06-12-09, 08:31 AM
In 1953, the DIs at PI provided the "enhancement," by the second, minute, hour, day, week, and month. I should hope that it is now the same. Times change. Hopefully, Marine attitudes and values do not. Semper Fi!

jstengle13
06-12-09, 08:56 AM
The Marine attitude is why I admire them so greatly, it's why I admire you all so greatly. I respect every branch whole heartily, but the Marine Corps I respect that much more. I would not want to be in any other branch. Marines is the only one for me.

KawiGunny
06-12-09, 09:12 AM
Your profile shows you are from Arkansas and currently in Virginia Beach. You mentioned you are a student and mom. Are you currently married and if so is it to a service member?

jstengle13
06-12-09, 09:24 AM
I was born in CA, moved to AR while I was a teen so I consider it home, my husband is currently in the Navy. He is getting out this next month. I have two gorgeous little girls. While my husband and I dated in 2003 (I was 18) I mentioned to him I wanted to join the Marines and he said he would break it off with me if I did. SO, I did not do it. I regret the decision honestly. Funny thing is though he joined the Navy and I only have respect for his decision to do so. He is PO3/E-4. He supports me now 100% with whatever I decide. That is why I have been considering it so much. I have support and I want this. But to be embarrassingly honest, I am afraid to take the next step, but I want it so bad. May be absurd, but I can't help but be intimidated by some of the stories my husband has told me about his 2 deployments. He has over 13mos of overseas deployment time.

jstengle13
06-12-09, 09:42 AM
I just looked at your profile. Seems we are in the same area and same home state. Maybe you could share some general words of wisdom?

skipper72
06-12-09, 09:53 AM
I suggest that you read Tony Zinni's new book "Leading The Charge." When one gets deeply into the text (more than halfway through), the general explains what he sees as having happened to the USMC...

KawiGunny
06-12-09, 10:08 AM
Where is your husband from? Do you plan on moving back there when he gets out or stay in Virginia Beach?

Not sure of the stories your other half has told you but hopefully they were inspirational in some way. There are plenty stories floating around both good and bad but if it is just a story then it is definitely opinionated.

Sounds like you definitely want to do this so go talk to a recruiter. If you do happen to move and you have already been in contact with a recruiter, just be sure to pass that info on to the next recruiter. What have you got to loose? With you husband getting out of the Navy then you wont have to worry about being stationed close to each other. Dual military families can be a strain sometimes.

jstengle13
06-12-09, 10:21 AM
I will check out the book, see what it's about! Thank you.

We actually do plan on moving back to Arkansas in July. The stories that he told were not bad just a couple of them were a bit intense!! All it did was put more of a reality perspective to military in general. I was also thinking with him getting out of the Navy that it would be something I could look at more seriously. I bet dual military families WOULD be very straining. I'm glad to see you guys have made it. : )

jstengle13
06-12-09, 10:22 AM
Oh I'm sorry, I forgot mention that my husband is from Nebraska and lived in Wyoming for a few years. He use to work on the oil rigs out there. We are both kind of junkies of extreme living.

jstengle13
06-12-09, 11:41 AM
Oookay. We'll I'll let everyone know what happens. Thanks for all the help!

jstengle13
06-17-09, 01:38 PM
I looked it up on amazon.com and it said it's release date is in August?? Perhaps you are thinking of one of his other books??

skipper72
06-17-09, 05:07 PM
I looked it up on amazon.com and it said it's release date is in August?? Perhaps you are thinking of one of his other books??

Amazon Vines program sent it to me a month ago. The Advanced Reader's Edition.

ISBN: 978-0-230-61265-5

Semper Fi !