PDA

View Full Version : successfull stories of re-entry

hanslergf
06-11-09, 10:04 AM
Hello, first post here. I just recently recieved my Honorable Discharge, and more and more lately have been thinking about going back. Needless to say thee Marin Corps buzz is gone and I want it...

Supersquishy
06-11-09, 10:09 AM
You can start here. http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78160&highlight=back+redux

Your first step is to get with a PSR (Prior Service Recruiter), then fire away with questions. Then report here for any news you get.

There are several Marines myself included doing the steps on getting back in. Basically its a waiting game as long as you get your PSEP package together and sent in.

hanslergf
06-11-09, 10:19 AM
You can start here. http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78160&highlight=back+redux

Your first step is to get with a PSR (Prior Service Recruiter), then fire away with questions. Then report here for any news you get.

There are several Marines myself included doing the steps on getting back in. Basically its a waiting game as long as you get your PSEP package together and sent in.

thanks for the reply, how long since you sat down with the PSR have you and others been waiting? I still have quite of bit of weight to lose, but im starting to run every morning, and ive drasticaly cut my calories so i know it will be a few months before i dare attempt to sit down with a PSR.

Supersquishy
06-11-09, 10:28 AM
thanks for the reply, how long since you sat down with the PSR have you and others been waiting? I still have quite of bit of weight to lose, but im starting to run every morning, and ive drasticaly cut my calories so i know it will be a few months before i dare attempt to sit down with a PSR.

Been 2 months since I started, Your going to need your OMPF which I would request now, even if you don't need it now you will in your future, takes about 2 weeks to get and its on a CD. I Was told it would take up to 6 months for Marines with a Break-in-service, and a couple of months for Marines with less than 3 years break in service. However rules change month to month, so far they are not accepting any sort of waivers until October unless the Marines sent there packages by June 1st. So from the posts I have researched so far its one big CLUSTER FVCK to get back.

hanslergf
06-11-09, 10:33 AM
Been 2 months since I started, Your going to need your OMPF which I would request now, even if you don't need it now you will in your future, takes about 2 weeks to get and its on a CD. I Was told it would take up to 6 months for Marines with a Break-in-service, and a couple of months for Marines with less than 3 years break in service. However rules change month to month, so far they are not accepting any sort of waivers until October unless the Marines sent there packages by June 1st. So from the posts I have researched so far its one big CLUSTER FVCK to get back.

i will get that requested today, i shouldnt need any waivers that i know of, thanks for your help, and i hope you get accepted soon!

MARINECID
06-11-09, 12:50 PM
If you are going back into active duty, you go through the local recruiter. If you are going reserves, then you go through the PRS.

MARINECID
06-11-09, 12:52 PM
Psr

hanslergf
06-11-09, 01:29 PM
If you are going back into active duty, you go through the local recruiter. If you are going reserves, then you go through the PRS.

good to go, thanks gysgt

ritter
06-11-09, 06:00 PM
I posted this in a different forum but it also applies here, I have been dealing with SSgt. Gordon who is the prior service recruiter for Oregon and Alaska. He is probably one of the best prior service recruiters out there due to the fact that he will talk to anyone concerning their options regardless of where the Marine lives. His contact information is 503-286-3962 and he looks forward to speaking with anyone interested in returning to active duty or the reserves. If he was able to get me back in he can get anyone in and just for everyone’s information it took me two years and 4 months to come back.

Supersquishy
06-12-09, 09:16 AM
just for everyone’s information it took me two years and 4 months to come back.

Tell us your story.

ritter
06-12-09, 05:39 PM
Tell us your story.
Here is my story:
I exited active duty in May of 05 and returned home. There was a recon reserve unit in Alaska that I was interested in joining; however, I decided to pursue school instead. After a year or so of doing the school and civilian thing I got the itch to serve again. Instead of coming back into the Marine Corps I became a reservist in the Navy with the idea of switching to Navy active duty in order to take a shot at BUDs. I checked into the Naval Reserve center in phoenix (I was attending school at Northern Arizona University on an exchange program from Alaska). Being in the Navy was one of the nastiest experiences of my life. When I checked in people were saying things like “finally someone who knows what they are doing” or “oh good a Marine you can be in my gun truck on our deployment.” I then asked the LPO what I needed to do to get orders to BUDs and he said it would take a year or so before I could get to BUDs. On a side note I did one PT session with them and I got a lot of accolades because I was able to do ten pull-ups consecutively, I was thinking to myself what the hell have I gotten myself into. So in February of 2007, I contacted the PSR responsible for Arizona and Texas. However, due to my exchange ending in a few months I changed to my previous prior service recruiter who at the time was Gunny Sellars out of Oregon. I was returning to Alaska due to personal reasons and my exchange with NAU ending. I filled out my 368 at the Naval Reserve center and left back to Alaska. When I returned to Alaska I continued to work with Gunny Sellars however the Navy just deleted me out of the system instead of properly discharging me. So two congressional inquiries latter over the span of 2 years and 4 months I have finally been allowed to reenter my beloved Corps. I can only laugh when people in these forums complain about their process taking 3 or more months. During my process my PSR Gunny Sellars suggested the National Guard and many other options he finally got orders to Texas and a new PSR, SSgt. Gordon replaced him. SSgt. Gordon went way above and beyond his requirements to get me back in and I’m forever grateful for that.

Supersquishy
06-12-09, 05:47 PM
Friggin Outstanding! Whats your status now?
BTW I went to Service High School.

ritter
06-12-09, 05:53 PM
I'm waiting for the Unit to run me in MCTIFs before I can get retrained as an 0351. Hopefully I can find someone on this board serving with 4th Force in K-Bay because that is where I want to ultimately end up. Are you back in?

Supersquishy
06-12-09, 05:54 PM
ritter Did the SSgt tell you how long NOW to get you back in since the cluster **** is done?

Did my physical last week, now its waiting time for me.

ritter
06-12-09, 05:55 PM
Nope it's on the Unit now but their "system is down" so can't run anything on diary. I re-enlisted in April and have been waiting since then to get placed in the system.

ritter
06-12-09, 05:59 PM
What unit are you joining?

Supersquishy
06-12-09, 06:07 PM
PM sent

quest23
06-15-09, 09:30 PM
im in the process of going back active...been working on it since last october. its been hard..they said the reason y my situation was taking so long is cause im a SSgt. And the fact that I got out as a Sgt and was promoted while in the IRR. I told them I wouldnt care going back as a Sgt but they said that was not possible. I have to go back in as my current rank. Good ...but bad cause it will take more time to process a snco...

quest23
07-03-09, 09:52 PM
Done sir done!!!!! Im officially active duty. Just standing by for orders to MCAS Beaufort SC...Hopefully the Bengals...Or the Checkerboards....either way...I dont care. Im just glad Im back active duty.....

Supersquishy
07-04-09, 05:29 AM
Congrats SSgt!!! Whats your MOS? How long have you been out?

quest23
07-04-09, 10:00 AM
Congrats SSgt!!! Whats your MOS? How long have you been out?
6217. Fixed wing Aircraft mechanic. FA18's I got off active duty Feb 2007. What a mistake that was!!!!

:usmc:

Supersquishy
07-04-09, 10:32 AM
6217. Fixed wing Aircraft mechanic. FA18's I got off active duty Feb 2007. What a mistake that was!!!!

:usmc:
Sweet! I was 6212, Harrier Powerline. I'd rather work on any F-18 over the maint. Hog Harrier. They miss stated "jump jet" its supposed to be "Junk Jet"...LOL Congrats again!

quest23
07-04-09, 02:22 PM
Sweet! I was 6212, Harrier Powerline. I'd rather work on any F-18 over the maint. Hog Harrier. They miss stated "jump jet" its supposed to be "Junk Jet"...LOL Congrats again!
yeh...those are maint hogs...ive spent some time around those when i was at wti....Yuma...cool planes....High power turns are crazy in the hush house when the nozzles are down....

Supersquishy
07-04-09, 02:25 PM
High power turns are crazy in the hush house when the nozzles are down....
Ohh Yea!!!! Makes your bones rattle, Do you F-18 Bubbas get Low Power and High power turn quals?

SSgt McCord
07-04-09, 05:10 PM
I got out in 2005 and going back. Left the Corps as a SSgt and comming back as a SSgt!! I started my process in March of this year and was told Friday that I would be going on deck Tues to reenlist!!!

I have to call my monitor in two weeks and he is cutting me PCS orders to go OJT with my squadren until I get a school seat and that will allow me to get my name on the list for base housing!! I CANNOT WAIT!!!!

I CAN ASSURE YOU THIS TIME THE CORPS WILL HAVE TO SAY, OK NOW YOU NEED TO RETIRE!!!!

quest23
07-04-09, 06:22 PM
Ohh Yea!!!! Makes your bones rattle, Do you F-18 Bubbas get Low Power and High power turn quals?

yes ....Most high powers are SNCOS...and SGTs...although ive seen a few lcpls and cpls get it too....just depends on how good they are

Supersquishy
07-05-09, 06:33 AM
yes ....Most high powers are SNCOS...and SGTs...although ive seen a few lcpls and cpls get it too....just depends on how good they are

Cool, I had low turn qual, and CDI, as a Lcpl. The other Marines were too much into NOT qualling, saying why do extra work for the same pay. ****birds!

Supersquishy
07-05-09, 06:35 AM
SGT Ritter, How things going with you?

flyby
07-05-09, 10:05 AM
I got out in 2005 and going back. Left the Corps as a SSgt and comming back as a SSgt!! I started my process in March of this year and was told Friday that I would be going on deck Tues to reenlist!!!

I have to call my monitor in two weeks and he is cutting me PCS orders to go OJT with my squadren until I get a school seat and that will allow me to get my name on the list for base housing!! I CANNOT WAIT!!!!

I CAN ASSURE YOU THIS TIME THE CORPS WILL HAVE TO SAY, OK NOW YOU NEED TO RETIRE!!!!

So SSgt, you are a State Trooper? Why are you giving that up to go back active? Did you think about the Reserves or is LE that bad? Just curious.

ritter
07-11-09, 06:43 AM
SGT Ritter, How things going with you?

Stuffs jacked up. Since the unit sat on getting put into the computer system I lost my school seat so now I have to wait until fy 10 to get retrained. I'm quit annoyed by it and SSgt. Gordon is also, what really aggravates me about this is my dream AR job showed up but since I haven't been retrained yet I have to wait which means it will probably get filled by someone else. How is your process going?

Supersquishy
07-11-09, 07:30 AM
Stuffs jacked up. Since the unit sat on getting put into the computer system I lost my school seat so now I have to wait until fy 10 to get retrained. I'm quit annoyed by it and SSgt. Gordon is also, what really aggravates me about this is my dream AR job showed up but since I haven't been retrained yet I have to wait which means it will probably get filled by someone else. How is your process going?

Ill pm you the details, but its moving sloooooooowwww...lol

Petz
07-11-09, 07:50 AM
shoot me your details too!

quest23
07-11-09, 12:14 PM
May just be rumor...but I heard in a brief yesterday that the marine corps is no longer taking psep e5 and below. At least 8th district isnt. They informed like 6 priors that they will have to stand by. SNCOs will continue to be allowed though.

Supersquishy
07-11-09, 12:21 PM
May just be rumor...but I heard in a brief yesterday that the marine corps is no longer taking psep e5 and below. At least 8th district isnt. They informed like 6 priors that they will have to stand by. SNCOs will continue to be allowed though.
That is until FY October, for Marines going back on the Active Side, I read a report on the Reserve side that they are still needing to fill slots.

Petz
07-11-09, 02:38 PM
yeah, the reserves are still taking but it's 2nd quarter fy '10 so jan '10...

as for the SNCOs! that's great news quest... the order does state year round... let's hope I'm good to go for this month! TTX is right behind me ... if things get ironed out.

SSgt McCord
07-11-09, 05:43 PM
I hope you guys do get back in! I still have my fingers crossed for you all!!

Hey SSgt P. Did you check with our contact at MCRC? What did he say??

Petz
07-11-09, 06:11 PM
to call my recruiter...... my 368 was sent up (according to my recruiter) on friday...