PDA

View Full Version : Pilot and allergies

danny0291
06-09-09, 08:51 PM
Hey, I'm 22 years old and recently graduated with a degree in Mechanical engineering. I'm looking into the marines and was thinking about possibly becoming a marine pilot. I do have a few issues in that my eyes are not great and I have allergies. However, my eyes aren't awful and I'm assuming they'd fall into the category of being correctable but was hoping someone had a little more information or possibly a link with more info/requirements for pilot vision correction. I was also wondering about the allergies, I had heard that the air force requires there to be no medical history of allergies for 10 years or so, I couldn't find any info about the marines. My allergies are mainly just a springtime allergy (trees/pollen, etc.) and are fairly well managed using Nasonex (prescription, therefore I do have a medical history of allergies). I am not allergic to any drugs, foods, or anything else that I know of. Any info/experiences anyone could provide would be much appreciated. Thanks

scifguard
06-09-09, 08:55 PM
Word of advice, fill out your profile.

ArtyOps
06-09-09, 08:56 PM
It's ok, you don't need good eyes to fly a multi-million dollar war machine. Fill out your profile or no one will answer you . I suggest you real the rules for posting also.

danny0291
06-09-09, 09:03 PM
I apologize, I did not read the rules prior to posting. I have read them now and have also filled out my profile. I would appreciate any help that anyone here would be willing to offer.

Alisium
06-09-09, 09:16 PM
I think to fly fixed wing you need 20/20 uncorrected vision. But to fly rotary wing you are fine so long as you are correctable to 20/20.

Alergies, don't worry. The Navy will hook you up with a wonderful shot, once a year and they won't be a problem. Something the civillian world wont do.

I'll do some googleing to see what I come up with.

Look into lasik.

Alisium
06-09-09, 09:22 PM
http://www.westernmarineofficer.com/Aviation

This site says all you need is 20/40.

danny0291
06-10-09, 12:56 PM
Great, thanks for the info.