PDA

View Full Version : Question about credit report / 'owing' people money

reallybigshoe
06-09-09, 01:26 PM
I moved out of an apartment early a couple years back and the manager of the place gave me a written agreement of lease nullification based on reconcilable problems with their room mate placement program. Basically, they kept putting me in with hippies who wanted to smoke pot in my house and even one group of nasties who liked to throw coke parties in my bathroom when I wasn't home. Each to their own, but I didn't want the criminal record.

So after three moves the manager let me go. 6 months past and I forgot about it. Wouldn't you know it, that apartment called up my parents (the co-signers for this college housing) and told them I owe them $800 in back rent. They said hell no and told them the story. Apparently the manager was fired. Being the dumb ass usually drunk kid that I was in college, I certainly didn't manage to keep up with any of the important paperwork that let me out of the lease.

Long story short, will the $800 that I told the apartment I will not be paying which is now showing on my credit report have to be paid before enlistment? Thanks for taking the time to read this and please forgive my ignorance.

Frank6744
06-09-09, 03:29 PM
I believe any debt must be paid before boot camp. You would most likely be able to enlist but you would have to pay it before you ship.

reallybigshoe
06-09-09, 03:35 PM
I hate to ask a question and then 'not like the answer' with my response, but wouldn't this mean that nobody joining the Marine Corps could have debt at all? How would half the guys join OCS with their student loans and such?

Hmm.

Lisa 23
06-09-09, 03:39 PM
To get the correct answer to your question......ask a Recruiter. :thumbup:

Rocky C
06-09-09, 03:44 PM
I hate to ask a question and then 'not like the answer' with my response, but wouldn't this mean that nobody joining the Marine Corps could have debt at all? How would half the guys join OCS with their student loans and such?

Hmm.

YOU WANT THE TRUTH???
YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

Thats so Sad you don't like the Answers to your Question.

Also, by the word Guys, you mean "MARINES RIGHT???" :evilgrin:
And by Joining you mean Enlisting Right???

Quinbo
06-09-09, 04:07 PM
Unless you are being taken to court or have a collection agency after you then you can probably get in as is. Having a jacked up credit report will preclude you from such things as a security clearance or any sort of "B" billet.

Either proove you don't owe it through the courts or work out some sort of payment plan to square it away.

reallybigshoe
06-09-09, 04:37 PM
YOU WANT THE TRUTH???
YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

Thats so Sad you don't like the Answers to your Question.

Also, by the word Guys, you mean "MARINES RIGHT???" :evilgrin:
And by Joining you mean Enlisting Right???

Quite right, Marine. Thank you for taking the time to correct me.

I will setup a payment plan right away as I believe this would be much cheaper than going through the court system. As far as other debt it is good to know that my college loans will not be affecting my enlistment.

Marine84
06-09-09, 05:53 PM
They run credit reports on folks now? When did THAT start?

Quinbo
06-09-09, 06:17 PM
Kim in a general sense they don't. You can go turn a wrench or pull a lanyard for 4 years with the most hosed up credit history on earth. Soon as you want to do secret squirrel stuff or be a drill instructor or even force recon that credit history will be the end of that idea.

BR34
06-09-09, 07:16 PM
I believe any debt must be paid before boot camp. You would most likely be able to enlist but you would have to pay it before you ship.

You are a ****ing football bat! Do you realize how incredibly stupid your response is?

Frank6744
06-09-09, 09:23 PM
You are a ****ing football bat! Do you realize how incredibly stupid your response is?

Sorry Cpl. If I was wrong I apologize.

reallybigshoe
06-09-09, 10:45 PM
Based on the information I am drawing from you Marines, maybe the credit claim doesn't matter at all? I am SOL on a clearance anyway because of a DWI 4 years ago and the only way my MOS choice would be affected by the need for a clearance would be the fact that some stations require it regardless of your job.

Is there a place in enlistment paperwork asking if your credit report would show that you owe someone money? Or can I just ignore the fact that such a claim exists and otherwise do my best?

reallybigshoe
06-09-09, 10:51 PM

That's my fault Cpl, for posting in the wrong section. I should have put this question in the ask a Marine forum. The likelihood of a Poolee or Wannabe knowing the answer to my question was slim at best, and because of this I set Wannabe Frank up for failure. My apologies to the Cpl for the offense and to Wannabe Frank.

Wyoming
06-09-09, 11:19 PM
That's my fault Cpl, for posting in the wrong section. I should have put this question in the ask a Marine forum. The likelihood of a Poolee or Wannabe knowing the answer to my question was slim at best, and because of this I set Wannabe Frank up for failure. My apologies to the Cpl for the offense and to Wannabe Frank.

Be responsible for your own actions and let the others take their own falls.

Petz
06-09-09, 11:54 PM
Based on the information I am drawing from you Marines, maybe the credit claim doesn't matter at all? I am SOL on a clearance anyway because of a DWI 4 years ago and the only way my MOS choice would be affected by the need for a clearance would be the fact that some stations require it regardless of your job.

Is there a place in enlistment paperwork asking if your credit report would show that you owe someone money? Or can I just ignore the fact that such a claim exists and otherwise do my best?

you will do a financial worksheet, which is a piece of paper where you tell them what you owe... they take your word for it. If you get creditors calling your command you will most likely get NJP'd and lose more money and jack your possible career up, so don't lie.

reallybigshoe
06-10-09, 09:37 AM
Understood. I have no intentions of lying on any of my paperwork. I do not want to sabotage my honor.