View Full Version : Friends till untimely end

thedrifter
06-09-09, 09:08 AM
OrlandoSentinel.com
Friends till untimely end

By Amy C. Rippel

Special To The Sentinel

June 9, 2009

EUSTIS -- When Craig Fuller and Nicholas Benton met years ago at Eustis High School, they couldn't have been more different.

But it was their differences that brought them together, made them the best of friends and took them down the same military path.

Now Benton, of Eustis, is mourning the loss of his best buddy. Fuller, a former U.S. Marine, was killed April 28 during an ambush attack in Afghanistan while working as a private contractor.

Although Fuller, 33, most recently lived in Cape Coral, the two remained good friends. Now Benton, a former Marine and supervisor at a local boys ranch, is reduced to tears when he thinks of Fuller.

"He'd go to the end of the world and back for you," said Benton, 31.

Fuller's father, Jerry Fuller, who lives in Cape Coral, said his son and his team of security and construction contractors were "ambushed from above."

The group had been traveling to an Army base, bringing food shipments, when the attack happened.

Jerry Fuller said he spoke with his son a day before, and he was enjoying his work in Afghanistan. Jerry Fuller said his son enjoyed spreading good will to the locals.

"The last thing I said to him was, 'I'm proud of you, and I love you very much,'" he said. "I got the call the next day."

Bonnie Willey, Craig Fuller's mother, said her son was a dutiful man who enjoyed his work.

He was born in New York and moved to Florida when he was about 11 years old. His parents were divorced, so he spent some time with his father in Cape Coral and his mother in Lake County.

Willey, who now lives in Marion County, said her son attended Eustis High for just one year — in 1992. It was there he became interested in the service, Willey said.

It was also there he met Benton.

Benton was just a freshman, and Fuller was a senior. Benton said his buddy was hardworking — he had two jobs during high school.

Benton always knew he and others could count on Fuller if they needed anything.

After his senior year, Fuller joined the Marines and left the service eight years later. In 1996, Benton joined the Marines.

"He was my inspiration to go into the Marines," Benton said. "Craig is the type of person who goes for greatness. He did everything 100 percent."

Benton said Fuller was also the type of person who enjoyed helping people and didn't do it for the fame or glory. He did it just to help.

Benton knows he's not the only one grieving this loss. It's evident by the hundreds of people who showed up to Fuller's memorial service April 28 in Cape Coral.

Still, it hurts.

"Every day right now is a real challenge for me," he said. "I pray and I thank God for him."

Ellie