PDA

View Full Version : Whats a nomal day of a radio operator over seas?

KyleS333
06-08-09, 09:10 PM
For those who are Radio Operators or who have friends that are. What is a normal Radio Operators day in Iraq or Afghanistan? Do they get combat situations, and if so how often? What are the pros and cons of this job and how easy is it to get promoted in this MOS?

KyleS333
06-08-09, 09:19 PM
Sorry for double post. Cant figure out how to delete the second one.

Capital M
06-08-09, 09:21 PM
It depends on what unit you are attached to I guess. A buddy that went I to high school with is a FRO with an artillery unit. I guess he's operating with the forward observers. They are doing work up now to deploy. All I can tell you is that according to his facebook, he is in the field. A-lot.

steggy
06-09-09, 01:56 AM
I've seen so many "what is a normal day as a (insert job here)" and the answer is always the same. There is no normal day.

Alisium
06-09-09, 02:15 AM
Usually listen to Rush Limbaugh if that doesn't come in then it's oldies.

Quinbo
06-09-09, 02:25 AM
If you crack open a 77 and do a little minor surgery you can pick up 2 or 3 tv channels on the higher frequencies. Listened to the the world series on a field radio.

Picture yourself on firewatch for four years. When you aint on firewatch you are cleaning radios with a paint brush and a pencil erasor. Then you get to count stuff... uhh the grunts broke half this stuff ... ok put the unbroken stuff in that bin and the broken stuff in that bin ... what is the count.

They need you to to chase a rambo fac around in the field with a radio on your back for a week ... here is your radio get your stuff packed.

LokiPA
06-10-09, 12:38 PM
Hmm.

No 0621s on here?

benw2200
06-10-09, 01:59 PM
I'm an 0621 and I deploy in about a week, so I'll check back in whenever I get internet access.