PDA

View Full Version : The meaning of the thirteen folds

thedrifter
06-08-09, 08:34 AM
Posted on Mon, Jun. 08, 2009
The meaning of the thirteen folds

Q. My husband and I have attend a couple of military funerals at national cemeteries. The flag-folding portion was especially moving, but sometimes the meaning of each fold of the flag was recited and other times it wasn't. What do the folds mean and can they be said at a military funeral today?

A. There had been a brief ban in place in 2007, related to the wording of the folding ceremony, but it was lifted. Some parts were considered by some to be too specific to one religion. Families of veterans can request the reading of the meaning of the 13 folds, or a comparable script of their choice, which may reflect any or no religious affiliation. The official meaning of the 13 folds is to represent the 13 original colonies.

Here is the unofficial script most commonly recited while the honor guard is folding the flag during a military funeral at a national cemetery:

First fold: Symbol of life.

Second: Symbol of our belief in the eternal life.

Third: In honor and remembrance of the veteran departing our ranks who gave a portion of life for the defense of our country to attain a peace throughout the world.

Fourth: Represents our weaker nature, for as American citizens trusting in God, it to him we turn in times of peace as well as in times of war for his divine guidance.

Fifth: Tribute to our country, for in the words of Stephen Decatur: "Our country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right; but it is still our country, right or wrong."

Sixth: Where our hearts lie. It is with our heart that we pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America.

Seventh: Tribute to our armed forces, for it is through the armed forces that we protect our country and our flag against all her enemies, whether they be found within our without the boundaries of our republic.

Eighth: Tribute to the one who entered into the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day, and to honor mother, for whom it flies on Mother's Day.

Ninth: Tribute to womanhood; for it has been through their faith, love, loyalty and devotion that the character of men and women who have made this country great has been molded.

Tenth: Tribute to father, for he, too, has given his sons and daughters for the defense of our country since they were first born.

Eleventh: In the eyes of a Hebrew citizen, it represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon, and glorifies, in their eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Twelfth: In the eyes of a Christian citizen, represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies God the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost.

Thirteenth: When the flag is completely folded, the stars are uppermost, reminding us of our national motto, "In God We Trust." It takes on the appearance of a cocked hat, ever reminding us of the soldiers who served under General George Washington and the sailors and marines who served under Capt. John Paul Jones. They were followed by their comrades and shipmates in the armed forces of the United States, preserving for us the rights, privileges and freedoms we enjoy today.

Send your etiquette questions to Dianne Isbel, Lifestyle, P.O. Box 427, 120 S. Illinois St., Belleville, IL 62222-0427.

Ellie

Airfares
06-08-09, 11:40 AM
Good one Ms Ellie - most people don't know why it's folded the way it has been for so many years! :thumbup:

30seconds
06-09-09, 08:23 AM
I learned something new.

ArtyOps
06-09-09, 08:25 AM
I always thought you stopped at thirteen because you ran out of fabric.

ggyoung
06-09-09, 10:33 AM
Most people when ask what the 13 folds stand for will say "the 13 states".

marinemama
06-09-09, 06:14 PM
That is so interesting. I always knew it meant something, but had no idea how deep and meaningful it was. Thank you so much for posting this Ellie.

wsky9er
06-09-09, 10:22 PM
I always thought you stopped at thirteen because you ran out of fabric.
I was thinking the same thing, ArtyOps. It makes sense:confused: