PDA

View Full Version : Communications Marine leads the way to a brighter future

thedrifter
06-08-09, 07:40 AM
AL ASAD AIR BASE, Iraq —

As Staff Sgt. Phillip Livingston neared the end of his senior year in high school in 1998, he heard his nation’s call to service, and upon graduation enlisted in the Marine Corps.

Livingston served in the Marine Corps as a radio operator for five years before participating in the invasion of Iraq in 2003. Less than a year after returning home from his first combat tour, Livingston found himself back in Iraq, this time battling the insurgency in Ramadi.

After returning from his second deployment, Livingston decided to pursue a goal he’d had since first joining the Corps – to be a drill instructor. His dream of making Marines came true in 2005 when he reported for drill instructor duty at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego. For the next three years, he served with Company F, 2nd Recruit Training Battalion, as a drill instructor, and later, senior drill instructor. His tour also included a stint as a Marine Corps Martial Arts Program instructor. Livingston said D.I. duty allowed him to do something he wanted to do since his first days in the Corps.

“I wanted to give back to the Marine Corps by training potential Marines,” said Livingston. “Being a drill instructor makes you more mature and gives you the desire to continue training Marines.”

After training recruits for three years, Livingston returned to the communications field and deployed for a third time in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2009. Livingston is now responsible for maintaining systems aboard Al Asad Air Base, Iraq, that service members use to communicate with each other. He also uses everything he’s learned in past deployments, and as a drill instructor, to mentor and develop Marines who work for him.

“This job gives me a chance to work with junior Marines,” said Livingston. “I can pass knowledge onto them and also support the communications requirements for 8th Communications Battalion.”

Cpl. Kevin Johnson is a communications Marine who works for Livingston. He said Livingston is a good role model and takes care of his Marines.

“He pushes the noncommissioned officers to become better leaders, and prepares the junior Marines to become NCOs,” said Johnson, who is serving his first deployment in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. “He makes sure we do our [Marine Corps Institute] courses and that we take advantage of resources like tuition assistance so we can be successful.”

Livingston not only advises his Marines about the importance of getting a college education, he leads by example. In the past four years, he’s found time to earn an associate degree from National University in San Diego and is now only five courses away from earning a bachelor’s degree in human resource management.

“Education enhances productivity,” said Livingston. “It gives me an opportunity to gain more skills and advance in the Marine Corps and the outside world.”

Livingston said getting advanced degrees will help ensure that he and his family will be taken care of when he retires from the Marine Corps. After earning his bachelor’s degree, Livingston wants to work toward a master’s degree in human resource management.

Staff Sgt. Albert Cardona, a radio chief with 8th Comm. Bn., said he has no doubt Livingston will be able to achieve his short- and long-term goals.

“Staff Sgt. Livingston is very driven and has a lot of motivation,” said Cardona. ”He does his job well and will be very successful in his future endeavors.”