PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to roll sleeves?

sjjubb1989
06-07-09, 08:25 PM
Hello,
I have noticed around MCAS New River, that lots of Marines don't roll their sleeves. I always was under the assumption that you had to roll your sleeves if you were not in the field during the summer season. Is there a MCO stating the sleeve regulations?
Most of the people I see not rolling their sleeves are SSgts, and it makes me laugh every time I get yelled at for not wearing a blouse outside by a SSgt with his sleeves unrolled.
Would the unrolled sleeves have anything to do with aircraft maintenance? I know we have coveralls issued to use for that.

ArtyOps
06-07-09, 09:31 PM
My question is many times have you been yelled at for not wearing your blouse and how many is enough to teach you to wear your blouse? My next question is why are you asking us? Just ask one of them.

sjjubb1989
06-07-09, 09:36 PM
It was one time for me, once for my room mate, and we were standing outside of our barracks room. I'm going to ask them tomorrow, I was hoping to find out tonight though.

Quinbo
06-07-09, 09:41 PM
There is a general seasonal directive for service "C" or service "B" as the uninform of the day. Sleeves up sleeves down goes along with that. It is at the base commanders discretion exactly when it goes from one to the other and is mostly based on climate. You would have to look up a base directive on what the uniform of the day is. Ask the unit diary clerk if it is that important for you to know.

Unit has to be pretty effed up if nobody knows whether to wear their sleeves up or down.

Lastly if you are on working party you can take your blouse off but you need to have it handy to put back on when you are done. If a SSgt comes and orders you to put you blouse on then do so most rickey tick and if you have heartburn with that then use your chain of command.

ArtyOps
06-07-09, 09:56 PM
Not only that but is this a one time thing or something you see all the time? They may have been returning from the field (I normally didn't roll my sleeves unitl the day after I returned from the field) or they may have returned from the rifle range. If you don't think that's the answer then by all means ask them. Just make sure you ask them the right way. You don't want to come off as some prick azz LCpl accusing him of being a hypocrit.

Petz
06-07-09, 10:04 PM
I am going out on a limb here, but I think maybe possibly if they are on a flight line they need to wear blouses with sleeves down.... it's a possibility.

look, it's over your head... the great thing about your rank is just having to do what you are told... no stress to get stuff done so long as you do what you're told... the higher up you get the more time management you get but the more you get yelled at when a junior Marine doesn't do his job... or what he's told....

basically, just shut up and do it.

ArtyOps
06-07-09, 10:07 PM
I am going out on a limb here, but I think maybe possibly if they are on a flight line they need to wear blouses with sleeves down.... it's a possibility.

look, it's over your head... the great thing about your rank is just having to do what you are told... no stress to get stuff done so long as you do what you're told... the higher up you get the more time management you get but the more you get yelled at when a junior Marine doesn't do his job... or what he's told....

basically, just shut up and do it.

:thumbup:

sjjubb1989
06-07-09, 10:09 PM
Makes sense!

ecom
06-08-09, 11:55 PM
I can depend on the base. In Twentynine Palms, I think there was a 3 year period where I didn't roll sleeves because that was the base order. I was told the intent was to minimize UV exposure because of the environment we were in. It wasn't until 2007 or 2008 when the Marine Corps stated that everyone wore woodland or desert with sleeves up or down according to a certain date that we had to roll sleeves in 29. But a few months later we got the exemption to go sleeves down again.

Achped
06-09-09, 11:39 PM
I'll be damned if anyone is going to yell at me for not having a blouse on outside my barracks room. Thats one of those situations when you say good to go and just keep doing what you're doing. What's he going to do? Fire you? lol Unless you're actually working or doing something at your barracks room for work, I'd keep it off and let him get all riled up. He can't do **** about it.

Petz
06-09-09, 11:45 PM
if I felt I was disrespected by your reply I'd know which room you're in and barracks, track down your command and charge you. <br />
<br />
'course I'd have a serious bug up my ass in order to do that... if it...

Achped
06-10-09, 12:05 AM
Well see, thats why I didn't wanna really go there with this one SSgt because technically maybe he would be out of regs and it'd be legit to tell him to put a blouse on. But there are other situations that are just stupid. This one is borderline. I'm never disrespectful, I would never ever even think of saying anything like "**** off man" to even a Sgt. HEll I wouldn't even go so far as to say "No". I wouldn't even argue. But if I'm outside my barracks room and a SNCO tells me to put my blouse on, and I'm off work I can't say that I'll just run in my room and put it on.

Petz
06-10-09, 12:09 AM
as I said, I agree... I suppose we're using a bad example here.

to tell a senior Marine they are wrong you need good evidence of that or you will

a) be corrected in a manner of which you regretted correcting them
b) ignored
c)be told you're an idiot
d) all of the above

so, um... yeah... I understand there are situations that dictate and every Marine should play it by ear as it is better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission (a lot less talking).

Wyoming
06-10-09, 12:13 AM
Ok, help me here.

You live in a barracks.

If you leave your 'room', you gotta have your blouse on?

Is that a rule?

Are you not expected, as a Marine, as an NCO, to follow the rules?

If you do not follow the rules, can you not be punished?

At LTA (RIP, LTA, MCAF Santa Ana) we had cubicles. 4 to a cubicle. Cpl's were 2 to a cubicle and Sgt's had a private cubicle. The walls were ~6' high with about a foot of open space above the deck. We did not have to wear a blouse inside. Outside was a different story.

Bottom line, times change but following the rules and obeying orders is a given. To not do so is disobedience and deserves punishment.

Achped
06-10-09, 12:28 AM
Yup. Guess that spotless record of mine shows how much of a turd I am huh?

Petz
06-10-09, 12:31 AM
chesty says that real Marines have 2 NJPs... so you see where I'm going with this don't you???

Wyoming
06-10-09, 12:34 AM
Yup. Guess that spotless record of mine shows how much of a turd I am huh?

There are numerous things that show how much a person is a turd.

Petz
06-10-09, 12:37 AM
fear of water for starters......

ok, I'm off to bed now.

Alisium
06-10-09, 03:44 AM
fear of water for starters......

ok, I'm off to bed now.

I don't know how he managed to stay in but our company Gunny was terrified of the water.

We went to a swim qual with him and right from the get go, when we had to let go of the sides and tread water, he pannicked. "Hep me! Hep me!" He didn't even last 5 seconds.

Petz
06-11-09, 01:18 PM
was he very muscular? I have a few gunnies who just sank to the bottom 'cause they were nothing but muscle... muscle is 70% water... they told him to jump in (CWO3) so he jumped in the deep end and went right to the bottom... he did tell the guy to grap the pole before he did... just like a rock... sank straight to the bottom.

it was hilarious.

devildame
06-11-09, 07:58 PM
...Is there a MCO stating the sleeve regulations? ...

WEAR OF THE MARINE CORPS COMBAT UTILITY UNIFORM

Date Signed: 7/25/2007
ALMAR Active Number: 035/07

If you see someone wearing sleeves down in a sleeves up season, they are probably on a training exercise (like Desert Talon ops in Yuma). If they just came back from the rifle range they should be rolling their sleeves before going to the chow hall of PX. Nothing to do with the flightline. The discretion given to commanders for amending the guidelines of this ALMAR is not liberal; usually it is for parades or ceremonies.
I once saw SNCOs eating breakfast at the Holiday Inn in their cammies. I asked them why, and their reasoning was that it was like a deployment, and the Holiday Inn was where they were staying, and so it was ok. I don't agree. I doubt they had ever been questioned on it before.

Quinbo
06-11-09, 10:14 PM
Wifes birthday went over pretty good. For some reason her favorite meal is stuffed cabbage made the experimental bulkyker way.

Get some spicey itlalian sausage and skin it about 2 or 3 lbs and brown into a hash with a little olive oil.
About 2 cloves of garlic smashed and chopped into the pan.
4 or 5 spring onions chopped with the green part too.
brown it for a second then add a whole bunch of mushrooms. The pre sliced are cool but whatever you like.
Cook that until the mushrooms are soft.
Add add about 4 cans of spicey italian chopped tomatoes or lack of that add some canned chopped tomatoes and add oregano, parsley and basil and let it cook for a bit.

While that is cooking take that great big head of cabbage and cut a triangle in the top about the size of your longest finger. Use a spoon, paring knife, chainsaw whatever to hollow it out to where it is about two inches thick all around.

Put as much of the stuff you cooked back into the cabbage, then put the triangle you cut out on for a lid and any big leaves. Wrap it in cheese cloth and tie in a tight knot over the triangle you cut out. I use a chope stick but whatever through the knot and put in a pot of boiling water. It need to boil for about an hour but maybe longer if you got lazy on the hollowing part.

While that is cooking put all the leftover cabbage from the hollowing process back into the pan with the filling that wouldn't fit.
Add about a cup of milk and 4 cans of cream of mushroom soup. Cook it on slow. We have access to real bacon bits, in a jar, designed for putting on salads and a bit of that is a nice touch.

After an hour or maybe longer the cabbage will we cooked through. Cut it like a big grapefruit and each slice you put on a plate and cover it with the sauce you made.

Always end up with more sauce than cabbage.
Phew glad her birthday is only once a year.
We've been together 15 years and I still haven't sold her on a bunch of guys tipping beers and burning the hell out of chicken legs for a party.

__________________________________________________ ______________________

NoRemorse that is a rock and a hard place and my thoughts are with you. It will all work out. I tried to scare up some genuine cuban cigars. Maybe if she just needs a little loving so scare that kid out.

A little bird told me Redman is gonna be 23 again coming soon. We need to scout out the day.

Doc this forum wouldn't be the same without your contributions even though you are a crazy numbnut.

Dolly Parton has a house almost as big on Maui as the one in Tennessee and they offer tours there too.

I know I've forgotten to poke stick at few angry bears on here but I think of you all... all the time.

Have a super day Marines.

SSgt McCord
06-16-09, 01:10 PM
Unless there is something new, you dont have to have your sleeves down to go on the flight line. You are most likely seeing guys who are comming back from the Range, or gas chamber. I know that when I was with the wing, that is the only time we put out sleeves down when it was summer.

Petz
06-16-09, 04:51 PM
either way, why is this kid thinking he has a choice? just another punk trying to get us riled up for his own enjoyment.

Quinbo
06-16-09, 05:33 PM
Somebody pass the prozac. I was completely off target posting a bunch of junk on a sleeve rolling thread. I thought I was posting on the zephyr. Don't run with scissors.

PFC1023CoB
06-21-09, 10:01 PM
I got blasted by a SSgt on my ten days boot leave, not that I was in the wrong, but I kinda made him look like an idiot in front of the other NCO's in the office at the time. I had seen him wearing his cammies through the mall and when I got back from boot leave they told us that under no cercumstances could any marine wear cammies in public.

Petz
06-21-09, 10:24 PM
well no sh!t PFC...

and recruiters are authorized for special events and circumstances by their CO to wear cammies.

if you don't know the whole situation you shouldn't be correcting someone...

besides that PFC, it's not your place in life to be correcting a SNCO just out of boot camp... a word of advice, all the leadership you will encounter you will have both good and bad. the good still have bad qualities about them just as the bad have their good. Of each type of leader, take the good traits and leave the bad... there is no need to correct your leaders as I can guarantee you that you're not the only one witnessing their heinousness.

Semper Fi killer, stay motivated.

PFC1023CoB
06-21-09, 11:50 PM
Yeah... leave it to someone who doesn't have any common sense to correct a SNCO and get blasted for it. Motivated yes, stupid, deffenitally. Got blasted all cycle for it too. The SNCO did get in trouble with the gunny at meps though cuz he got reported by one of the NCO's in the office.

Thanks for the advice. Still new to this... takes a lot to get used to. I'm looking forward to seeing what knowledge I can pick up through this career though, and what kind of traits I'll pick up from the good leaders I'll encounter.

Petz
06-22-09, 01:34 AM
it's best to keep you mouth shut for as long as you can... learn who the jerk-wads are and stay clear of them... get grouped in with them and there's no turning back...

find out who's friends with who before you talk sh!t about someone, then you should have a smooth transition into the fleet. Oh and remember, after MOS school... you still don't know sh!t and shouldn't talk as though you do.

stay active in the forums and keep us posted.

devildame
06-22-09, 01:40 AM
either way, why is this kid thinking he has a choice? just another punk trying to get us riled up for his own enjoyment.

Grumpy? Suspicious? He was just asking if there is an order.

Pretty funny that punks would be asking questions on here to "rile up" other posters. Have not noticed it yet, but I'll be on the lookout!

"I got blasted by a SSgt on my ten days boot leave, not that I was in the wrong, but I kinda made him look like an idiot in front of the other NCO's in the office at the time. I had seen him wearing his cammies through the mall and when I got back from boot leave they told us that under no cercumstances could any marine wear cammies in public." PFC1023CoB

Sounds like the better plan of action would have been to discretely ask one of the NCOs present in the office. Tact: not used much on these forums, unfortunately, but still one of the good old Marine Corps leaderships traits;)

Petz
06-22-09, 01:42 AM
what are you saying while you are quoting my post?

quest23
06-24-09, 04:24 PM
i spent my time at 3rd maw...MCAS Miramar and they never told us we had to have sleeves down for flight line maintenance. And for the most part, only SNCO and above could wear utilities on the flight line for maintenance. Reason is the potential of FOD. Dont want a bunch of young PFCs running around with stuff in thier pockets. Only time i rolled down my sleeves out of season was for the rifle range. Gas chamber. And ground turns where i wanted extra protection from engine heat. keep in mind this is Miramar. Some bases have different rules. Its up to base commanders to have local orders that deviate from MCO. I know when I was in Miramar SNCO only could wear utilities while working on aircraft. Others had to wear the coveralls. And when I went to Yuma. We all wore utilities...

And as for the SNCO with sleeves down. Better learn real quick to not question orders from superiors. If he says put the blouse on....put the dam thing on. If he tells you to punch yourself...just do it and drink a beer on it later.So what if he is out of uniform ....or was he...he might have had the pistol range that day. You dont know so thats why you just say aye aye Staff Sgt loud and motivating and just do it. Live by the saying

Do as I say NOT as I do!! or you will have some problems with life in the Corps

Supersquishy
06-24-09, 04:38 PM
i spent my time at 3rd maw...MCAS Miramar and they never told us we had to have sleeves down for flight line maintenance. And for the most part, only SNCO and above could wear utilities on the flight line for maintenance. Reason is the potential of FOD. Dont want a bunch of young PFCs running around with stuff in thier pockets. Only time i rolled down my sleeves out of season was for the rifle range. Gas chamber. And ground turns where i wanted extra protection from engine heat. keep in mind this is Miramar. Some bases have different rules. Its up to base commanders to have local orders that deviate from MCO. I know when I was in Miramar SNCO only could wear utilities while working on aircraft. Others had to wear the coveralls. And when I went to Yuma. We all wore utilities...

Ditto, never had to wear sleeves down unless it was winter, that was good because Yuma in the summer was 130 on the ramp, We wore Cammies on det if it was going (launching birds) to coming back or if it was a shorty. We all mainly wore coveralls so we wouldnt ruin our cammies by grease, oil, holes in the knees, and jet fuel, plus coveralls were way cooler(breathable). SNCO's could wear there cammies, thats usually because they are in the office most the day drinking coffee and doing paper work and its a pain to change over all the time if they needed to run erands to the PX for donuts...LOL