PDA

View Full Version : Orders Cancelled Between MCT & MOS School

MarineDad7
06-07-09, 02:47 PM
As a new Marine Dad I've got a question for some of you older/wiser Marines out there.

My son graduated MCRD San Diego on 24 May. Did well and graduated top 3 in his platoon. After a short 10 day leave he was off to Camp Pendleton for MCT. Once again, he did well and graduated top 5 in his platoon.

He was supposed to go directly from MCT to his MOS school. After graduation from MCT he collected his gear, changed into his travel civvies, and was waiting for the shuttle to the airport with the rest of the guys going to his MOS school. About 5 minutes before the shuttle was to leave his name was called out and he was informed that his orders had been cancelled, he collected his gear and reported to the SOI Guard Platoon. The rest of his MOS buddies got on the shuttle and reported to school.

He's now at the SOI Guard Platoon and has been told he'll be there for 3 weeks. That's all he's been told. I asked him if got into any 'trouble' while in MCT and was told 'no'.

Does anybody out there have an idea what's going on?

Our family has a USAF history going back to WWII. Both my son's grandpa's were Army Air Corps and his mother and I were career Air Force. We're both proud of his decision to 'walk his own path' and serve his country as a member of the Corps. When we attended his MCRD graduation and observed the traditions and esprit de corps, I thought to myself, 'THAT'S how it's supposed to be done!'

Any insight anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. :!:

PaidinBlood
06-07-09, 03:02 PM
Really not a big deal, sir. It may or may not be explained to him in detail (despite some changes, this still isn't BK) but it wasn't time for him to go to school yet. He's probably not being punished many ITB types get re-routed to 52 Area Guard (I spent 2 weeks in guard and 2 weeks in receiving waiting for my company).

It might suck now but in 3.5 years he'll barely remember it if you ask him. Hope that helps..

ps-It is possible he is being kept back while misconduct on the part of either himself or his peers is investigated, but from what you've said that sounds unlikely.

sgt tony
06-07-09, 06:35 PM
It could also be that since he did so well that they may make him a better offer. As all Marines will tell you this a hurry up and wait. Best of luck for the young Marine

NoRegrets
06-07-09, 07:50 PM
Welcome to the Marines!! Hurry up and wait ;)

Pete0331
06-07-09, 07:50 PM
Sounds like nothing to be worried about.

It could be a variety of things.
MOS school might have overbooked, etc.

One thing as a parent that you should NOT do is to try and contact different commands to find out why this happened.
This will put undue attention on your son.

Three weeks flies by in guard.
You're always busy.

PaidinBlood
06-07-09, 07:52 PM
One thing as a parent that you should NOT do is to try and contact different commands to find out why this happened.
This will put undue attention on your son.

Seconded. :thumbup: I didn't even think to mention that but it would NOT be a recommended route... Just let him do his time.

WKranz
06-07-09, 08:25 PM
its nothing to worry about i was guard at soi for a month before i went through training. It was used to kinda regulate Marines as they go through, so there arent to many of them for the instructors to handle.

Guard isn't fun, but its a good way to learn how much you get crapped on as the new guy haha.

ameriken
06-07-09, 08:48 PM
As others have said, dont worry about it....when I got to LeJeune in '76 for my training, I and a couple of others got detoured to do temporary MP duty for about 3 weeks. It was December so we got to stand outside and work the Christmas traffic outside the main PX. Shortly afterward I went to my training.

ArtyOps
06-07-09, 09:04 PM
What was his MOS?

Petz
06-07-09, 09:34 PM
yeah, not a biggie, I like what pete said about the MOS school being booked up... they probably saw that and snagged him up for their guard instead of having him wait around where ever he was headed.

keep in mind reservists get first crack at MOS school and it's summer time now.... they are graduating and getting to MOS school so they can start the new school year at college.

it'd be interesting to find out what MOS he's going to.

MarineDad7
06-08-09, 01:41 PM
What was his MOS?

Thanks 4 responsing everyone. My son initially qualified for crew chief but was found 2 b slightly color blind and DQ'd. He then chose logistics/accounting from what was available, although I don't know the MOS number.

The SOI (West) Guard Platoon got off phone restriction last night and my son called/texted. He finds guard 'interesting', but says he'll get through it.

Thanks, all :thumbup:

MarineDad7
06-26-09, 03:39 PM
Thanks 4 responsing everyone. My son initially qualified for crew chief but was found 2 b slightly color blind and DQ'd. He then chose logistics/accounting from what was available, although I don't know the MOS number.

The SOI (West) Guard Platoon got off phone restriction last night and my son called/texted. He finds guard 'interesting', but says he'll get through it.

Thanks, all :thumbup:

Just a quick update -

My new Marine left SOI West last Tuesday for MOS school (3043 - Supply Ops).

After arriving, guess what? He found out that he was one of 13 lucky Marines selected for guard duty for the next 4 weeks!

He's taking everything in stride and is determined to be the best Marine he can at whatever the Corps needs him to do. :iwo:

thewookie
06-26-09, 03:41 PM
Just a quick update -

My new Marine left SOI West last Tuesday for MOS school (3043 - Supply Ops).

After arriving, guess what? He found out that he was one of 13 lucky Marines selected for guard duty for the next 4 weeks!

He's taking everything in stride and is determined to be the best Marine he can at whatever the Corps needs him to do. :iwo:

He's earning leave while he's eating three square meals a day and killing time -- could be worse. Good luck, keep the spirits high.

Achped
06-26-09, 04:37 PM
No **** Sgt. I would give up alot to go work at Camp Johnson Camp Guard. Those guys always hit the fleet motivated too.

Old Marine
06-26-09, 04:40 PM
Seems he is one of the Lucky Marines to pull a couple tours of guard duty. He will be better for it. Besides, back in the day, guard duty was considered a privilage.