PDA

View Full Version : Remember me?

JoshuaP
06-07-09, 01:03 PM
I promised I would be back at the beginning of summer!
Anyway, My weight as of this morning is 177.5 lbs. (260 to 177.5)
82.5 lbs gone in 6 months and 1 week.
November 30th:
http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww196/Joshp5agek/DSCN3312.jpg
March or April:
http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww196/Joshp5agek/0311091831.jpg
June 7th:
http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww196/Joshp5agek/0607091247.jpg

So, Im pretty happy. I talked to my recruiter last month, that was awesome. He did the background check thing, and unless something comes up at MEPS, it looks like im all clear to join. That wont happen for like 7 months though, early 2010 at the earliest, but I got more time to train.
Now, im thick as hell, and got a lot of PT to do this summer, but im on my way! I hope to get to 160-ish by the end of summer, but ill be eating a lot and running a lot.
As far as the IST goes, I can do 1 pullup and a half. Pretty good considering a month ago I couldnt flex arm hang. I can do 50 curnches in two minutes, and my 1.5 mile is around 14 minutes. Not great, but getting there. I still have plenty of time before im even close to leaving, but im confident it will go fast, and ill be on my way to my title.

Thanks for the support and help, Marines and poolees!
-Josh.

JoshuaP
06-07-09, 01:06 PM
http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww196/Joshp5agek/0607091249.jpg

Wes40138
06-07-09, 03:08 PM
I remember you ! And yes you did keep your word , Good going !
I have had the exact same success of 82 lbs in just about the same time frame .Keep it up !

GavinL91
06-07-09, 04:22 PM
(kneels down and bows)
Were not worthy,Were not worthy.
You are inspiration,bro.
Your post was the first post i saw when i joined this site.I am getting close to my goal to 230 by the end of the summer,and 200 by the end of the year.

What do you want to do in the Corps by the way?

JoshuaP
06-07-09, 04:25 PM
(kneels down and bows)
What do you want to do in the Corps by the way?

Infantry, or Field Artillery. I really want to be an 0311.

buffa1oso1di3r
06-07-09, 04:29 PM
Very nice!!! Good job, dude!

KGunner
06-07-09, 04:31 PM
Infantry, or Field Artillery. I really want to be an 0311.

It seems so does everyone else. Where I was recruited from they have about 100 kids and only 18 jobs left open until October when the fiscal year ends. Most of their 03 slots will be gone as soon as they can hand them out.

Good work!

GavinL91
06-07-09, 04:31 PM
So you want to be a grunt or recon?
Me,i am unsure at this point.I want to expierence combat though.

JoshuaP
06-07-09, 04:41 PM
Thanks everyone!
And KGunner, I know its a popular MOS, but as selfish as it sounds, I dont want to let myself not get one; its what I really want to do.

Frank6744
06-07-09, 05:07 PM
Great job dude. How did you do it?

AMBruce
06-07-09, 05:34 PM
Great Job

0231Marine
06-08-09, 07:52 AM
Congrats Poolee...hope everyone else takes notice of what a little determination and dedication can do.

So, what did you do to accomplish all of this in 6 months?

jinelson
06-08-09, 08:41 AM
Well done Poolee! You are a fine example to the fat bodies that say it can't be done. If you want to earn the title bad enough you can loose weight. It would be a great help to others if you could share how you accomplished this.

Jim

introspect
06-08-09, 09:25 AM
I remember you! Very very well done! Good to see you got a haircut too lol. You look much better congrats and good luck to you

JoshuaP
06-08-09, 10:59 AM
The obvious answer is diet and exercise!
However, I was an idiot at first, and didnt listen to advice given to me by others, and I tried to eat too little, because the results came faster. Dont do this, please. You feel awful, and turn into a fat pile with no muscles.
So, about two months of that, sure I lost weight, but I was super weak. So for the last four months, I re-structured everything, started lifting weights, carefully tracking my calorie, carb, and protein intake, and started doing cardio about 5 times a week. That was either jogging, or cross training (with a weighted vest, doing hill sprints, or stuff with a sandbag, etc). Thats how I lost the last 40 lbs, and gained some good muscle doing so.
Recently, I started doing a lot of biking, due to friggin shin splints, and I love it. Im still losing weight biking, and I think Ill take a few weeks off of running.
As for food, food with less than 5 ingredients was basicly what I followed. Eggs, nuts, whole wheat bread, milk, yogurt, chicken, tuna, greens, some fruits, and protein shakes were, and are my whole diet. I like it though. I feel good.Every now and then, if I have a really hard workout, I eat whatever, like pizza or something. No big deal, just dont let it throw you off, but only sparingly.

So, to any fatbodies who say it cant be done, I dont want to be cliche and say "If I can do it, you can!", but its true. I used to be a fat wannabe. Now im just a wannabe :)

If you dont like something about yourself, change it!

JWG
06-08-09, 11:54 AM
That's good stuff. You need to be VERY proud of yourself, which I'm sure you are. Now get your butt in the DEP! Looks like you're prepared now. Keep us up to date, you will earn that Title.. if you keep up that level of dedication no doubt, bro.

Gnetics
06-08-09, 03:21 PM
Keep on keepin on man, good job! :thumbup::banana:

C BAKER
06-08-09, 03:30 PM
Keep up the good work JoshuaP!

drillinstructor
06-08-09, 03:39 PM
So you want to be a grunt or recon?
Me,i am unsure at this point.I want to expierence combat though.

Galvin,
Deep down Marines seems to have that itch to experience combat. This type of comment is also inappropriate to post. The reason why?

Imagine you sitting in the VFW and saying that to a man who has been to Viet Nam, Iraq, Afghanistan, or etc. Maybe it is the ones that have had some serious trauma of losing buddies that are family to them or seeing things normal civilians just do not get to experience. You may change your mind if you go through those types of things.

I think an appropriate comment may be…..I do not wish combat on anyone or myself but if I am called to go I will do my duty to defend the freedoms of America.

Many Marines on this site have been to war and seeing a poolee make this comment hurts me and I am sure many others.

For the other poolee that is losing weight to become a Marine. Keep your motivation high and if you really want it…..you will get it.

Semper Fi!!!

DI

Petz
06-08-09, 03:53 PM
did you say you are a poolee now? shouldn't you contact a mod and get your status changed?

congratulations on the loss of your fatter twin... may he never be seen again.

(supporting multiple personalities FTW!!!!)

JoshuaP
06-08-09, 04:54 PM
did you say you are a poolee now? shouldn't you contact a mod and get your status changed?

Im actually only 16 years old. I turn 17 in a couple of months, and will hopefully DEP shortly thereafter.

DGardner
06-08-09, 05:09 PM
Congrats on your progress. This shows what can be accomplished through determination and hard work.