PDA

View Full Version : Bootcamp and the Old.

nrml1
06-07-09, 10:47 AM
Good Morning Marines,

I've got a peculiar question for you. I have been on a collission course with the United States Marine Corps since the end of 2007 when I weighed in at 310lbs (220lb, 72in current), hopefully when the collission occurs I will have accomplished my goal of becoming a United States Marine.

I'm in my mid 20s and have had grey hair (more like salted) since my teens, genetic mostly. These two charasteristics combined I'm sure will make me a very nice appetizer for the DIs at MCRDSD when the time comes for me to get there. So where is the question you ask? Okay, my question is, what should I realistically expect from boot camp (aside from the general "pain" and "good times" of boot camp) with these particular "issues"?

I'll add that I have a family and a substantial amount of life experience which has come from growing up under circumstances I do not wish on anyone. That does not make me special, I'm not a snowflake. I just want to give you an idea of who I am.

This question originated out of a "little chat" I had with the CO of San Diego Recruiting command about my intentions of joining her beloved Corps at this point in my life.

Thank you,

nrml1

-Dedicated

Quinbo
06-07-09, 11:23 AM
I don't think with your head shaved anyone will notice if you have salt and pepper hair.

Old Marine
06-07-09, 11:59 AM
You hair could be pink and the Drill Instructors won't give a ****e, besides all Privates look the same and all have the same oder. Have fun.

nrml1
06-07-09, 02:40 PM
Thank you Marines.

I guess I wonder about their expectations due to my age. The C.O. made it clear she wanted me to be superman because of my age, thats fine, I'll be superman ... some day, I'm certainly working hard at it.

Thank you again for your replies.

hayes1225
06-10-09, 08:12 PM
Don't even worry about your age. I went through Boot and ITB at 27 (my current age) It's not a problem. The one thing i have noticed is that all of the NCO's will treat you a little better, a little more respect, but they will expect a lot more out of you at the same time.

ArtyOps
06-10-09, 08:37 PM
Don't even worry about your age. I went through Boot and ITB at 27 (my current age) It's not a problem. The one thing i have noticed is that all of the NCO's will treat you a little better, a little more respect, but they will expect a lot more out of you at the same time.
:thumbup:

nrml1
06-11-09, 02:39 AM

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I thought, but unfortunately my recruiters weren't sure if this would be the case. I guess it would also depend on who is training you and who you are dealing with. Difficult to get a direct answer, understandably so.

Again, Thank you for the reassurance.