PDA

View Full Version : Childhood asthma, what should I do?

jchayden
06-07-09, 09:21 AM
When I was either 10 or 11 (I cannot remember exactly when), I was diagnosed with a mild asthma by my doctor. I am now 16 years old and I have never needed my inhaler, and I have never had an asthma attack.

I am in no way physically "fit," I am about 10 pounds over what I should be and have haven't participated in any sports in the past 2 years, and rugby was the only sport I played for around 1/2 a year, then the coach left 2 years ago. Though despite this, when I run laps around the track in gym, I don't need my inhaler. People who have never been diagnosed sometimes collapse because they can't breathe and need to use mine (Chinese air is comparable to buisness end of the smoke stack on a coal burning power plant) Though I have never really used it. I have been off the daily steroids for 4 years and I just recently gave it all away to someone because they actually need it. last year when I visited the doctor, they tested me again and said I showed no signs of asthma, but told me to carry my old inhalers with me just in case. (I did the test where you blow into a tube)

I have heard that I can procure a waiver if I run and pass a test where they throw histamines in my face while I run and do everything possible to trigger an asthma attack.

Right now I am getting back into shape and I bike 4 miles every day at 20mph continuously in 94 deg and 100% humidity and I have a bit of trouble but that is understandable for someone so out of shape. I also swim about a mile every other day and I do not have trouble breathing at all.

Am I still eligible, I am willing to do whatever it takes to over come this. Should I talk to a recruiting officer face to face or should I make an anonymous phone call?

I would just like to say, I have searched the past 10 pages and used the search bar but it could not find any related posts and I apologize if this has been discussed.
I know I mentioned this in my previous thread but in my opinion, I didn't make situation clear and reveal all the facts.

Rocky C
06-07-09, 09:30 AM
I found it in 1 second using the search box!!!
Good Luck.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84400&highlight=asthma

Petz
06-07-09, 09:48 AM
yes, lets read the rules... maybe you can read them, copy the pertinant part for using the search box and the post it in here so you won't forget.

seriously, do it.

jchayden
06-08-09, 03:20 AM
"Rule Two before you post a thread make darn sure that you have researched the forums so that you are not embarrassed by the fact it was asked a week ago!"

sorry, to my defense the search bar doesn't work for me, the verification picture doesn't appear on my screen, no matter how many times I refresh.