PDA

View Full Version : World War One Vet Celebrates 113th Birthday

thedrifter
06-07-09, 09:02 AM
World War One Vet Celebrates 113th Birthday

Saturday, June 6 08:01 pm
Sky News 2009

The oldest survivor of the First World War, Henry Allingham, has celebrated his 113th birthday with a party organised by the Royal Navy. Skip related content

Europe's oldest man also holds the record as the last survivor of the Battle of Jutland, the last surviving member of the Royal Naval Air Service and the last surviving founding member of the Royal Air Force.

The Royal Navy and the RAF take it in turns to host Mr Allingham's party and this year it is was held at HMS President, a building overlooking the River Thames, near London's Tower Bridge.

Mr Allingham was joined family members and representatives of the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force for the party in his honour.

His birthday marks another landmark for a man whose life has spanned three centuries and six monarchs.

After being given a warm welcome by generations of his family, he posed for photographers and declared: "It's wonderful, I never expected this honour."

As he sat outside in his wheelchair, a Mark 8 Royal Navy Lynx helicopter flew overhead bearing a white ensign.

A birthday cake and card signed by the First Sea Lord was then delivered to Mr Allingham at the dockside by fast-raiding craft of the Royal Marines.

Before cutting his cake, Mr Allingham said: "You are all so kind to me, I wish you all well."

Asked the secret of his long life, he added: "I don't know, but I would say be as good as you possibly can."

Paying tribute to him, Admiral Charlier said: "It is an absolute privilege to host this event. This year is the centenary of naval aviation and yet Henry goes back way before that.

"When you look at all that's happened over this centenary, it's quite amazing when you think Henry was born before that and more importantly retains strong navy links with his Fleet Air Arm past.

"We are all over-awed by Henry's longevity, but also his spirit, his fun and humour encompasses everything about the Fleet Air Arm. Were he slightly younger I would be happy to have him back.

"He helped set the professional standards back in 1915 when he joined the Royal Naval Air Service, which was a pretty difficult time going into the First World War.

"Here he is some 100 or so years later still firing on all cylinders and going strong."

Among the many guests, was Mr Allingham's grandson Timothy Gray, 53, who had flown over from Michigan, America, especially for the party.

He fondly recalled his grandfather's proper table manners during his first visit to his home at the age of ten.

He said: "He is very humbled by all the attention he gets. I talked to his nurse and she said he stayed up late last night like a little kid on Christmas eve talking about birthday cake.

"He has enjoyed it, that's guaranteed. One of the best things I heard him say is that hes looking forward to becoming a teenager again."

Mr Allingham has five grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren, 14 great-great grandchildren and one great-great-great grandchild.

He joined the Royal Naval Air Service in September 1915 before transferring to the RAF in April 1918.

Mr Allingham is just one of two known UK survivors from the First World War, including 110-year-old Harry Patch, who lives in Wells, Somerset, the last surviving 'Tommy' to have served on the Western Front.

Ex-Royal Navy stoker Bill Stone, who was born in Devon, died in January this year aged 108.

All three men came together at London's Cenotaph on November 11 last year to commemorate the 90th anniversary of Armistice Day.

Mr Allingham lives in St Dunstan's care home for blind ex-service personnel in Ovingdean, near Brighton, East Sussex.

Mr Goodwin, who was a guest at the party, said: "He is Europe's oldest man and the oldest ever British man. In the mix of ingredients which has kept his mind focused and his body functioning, he's been able to enjoy living and being active in the community.

"He's done more in the last 10 years then he ever did when he first retired.

"His realisation that he has kept going from year to year just reinforces his zeal for living.

He added: "He's quite staggered that so many people took the trouble to come to see him. He's more than happy, it's a wonderful tribute to him, he seems to captivate anyone that meets him. Perhaps he embodies the spirit of the First World War.

"We all had grandfathers and fathers who were just like Henry and this gives them a chance to express themselves."

Mr Allingham not only saw action at the Battle of Jutland, but he also saw action ashore, including at the Battle of the Somme and both the Royal Navy and the RAF are proud of their connections with him.

Before cutting his cake, Mr Allingham said: "You are all so kind to me, I wish you all well."

Asked the secret of his long life, he added: "I don't know, but I would say be as good as you possibly can."

Ellie