PDA

View Full Version : Fear of Death

MrSnips
06-07-09, 01:06 AM
For whatever reason this seemed to be my question of the day at work and its really got me thinking. Or it did and now I've decided on my personal beliefs.

Basically 4 or 5 seperate people asked if i was afraid of dieing. I've only come to the conclusion that i'm afraid of dieing a pointless death. Ultimately everyone dies and i'd rather die a young death over something worth it. Giving my daughter and family and everyone else freedom is worth that to me.

I guess my question is how do you Marines and fellow poolees deal with that fear or question? I have no doubt that if/when (only an "if" because a freak accident could change my becoming a Marine) i'm a Marine i will be shot at. It is an inherent part of an infantry MOS.

Again, my question is how do you deal with that fear or that constant idea that death is a very real part of what you deal with.

Thank you all.

PaidinBlood
06-07-09, 01:14 AM
I found a greater fear of my shortcomings or failure to act resulting in the death of my brothers and therefore my own demise paled in comparison. No greater fear for me than letting them down..

MrSnips
06-07-09, 01:20 AM
I found a greater fear of my shortcomings or failure to act resulting in the death of my brothers and therefore my own demise paled in comparison. No greater fear for me than letting them down..

Absolutely LCpl...That is also a fear. To let down yourself is one thing. But your fellow brothers and sisters is even worse.

PaidinBlood
06-07-09, 01:31 AM
Not giving you a hard time here, but it is one thing to say it, and entirely world-shattering to live it. I hope you understand my intentions when I say you have no clue (yet) what it really means.. I believe you will in time, though. Keep up the hard work..

PaidinBlood
06-07-09, 01:34 AM
Pick the closest human being in the world to you, and picture them lying in a sewage choked street with blood foaming and gurgling from what is left of their throat, as their eyes bore into your soul...their last thought on this world wondering why the F you didn't check that roof... It's late and I've had a long day-I hope that helps a little bit.

PaidinBlood
06-07-09, 01:41 AM
Too late to edit...not tryin to scare you, just put it in perspective. I was blessed and I hope you will be too. Good luck..

MrSnips
06-07-09, 01:41 AM
I don't know it entirely. I've lost close friends for stupid reasons but never because of me or at my fault. I hope i never do, that may be unrealistic with my MOS choice but if i do the best i can and then a little better than i give them a slightly better chance.

EDIT: scare me? nah, the world has become too pussified. if that scares someone than they may need to rethink their career or life choice in joining something that relies on the killing of others to be kept.

Pete0331
06-07-09, 02:36 AM
Again, my question is how do you deal with that fear or that constant idea that death is a very real part of what you deal with.

Thank you all.

There are things that are scarier then death.

Letting down your brothers in a time of need is far worse.

Capital M
06-07-09, 02:47 AM
When people find out I want to be a Marines the majority of them ask "Aren't you afraid of dying?" I just respond with a simple, "It's something I try not to think about yet."

Do I fear dying? Yeah, and I think a lot of people do. But, like you said Mr. Snips, it's the method in which I die that I fear the most. I have no problem dying while serving my country or helping my future brothers and sisters, it's the greatest honor and truly the ultimate sacrifice. Thank God for all of those who have made it.

GravityRain
06-07-09, 06:29 AM
It is futile to fear death for it comes for all. Fear dying with remorse of not living well for something you believe in. Fear dying never sacrificing for the good and valient ideas of heart. Fear your children or their children suffering in your stead and it weighing heavily on your soul forever. Fear the meaningless, cowardly death where one plays it safe and selfish. Fear dying without knowing the way of a warrior. besides that....Fear Nothing but your K-Bar never knowing the stickiness of your enemies blood.

Wyoming
06-07-09, 09:53 AM
It is futile to fear death for it comes for all. Fear dying with remorse of not living well for something you believe in. Fear dying never sacrificing for the good and valient ideas of heart. Fear your children or their children suffering in your stead and it weighing heavily on your soul forever. Fear the meaningless, cowardly death where one plays it safe and selfish. Fear dying without knowing the way of a warrior. besides that....Fear Nothing but your K-Bar never knowing the stickiness of your enemies blood.

Damm, I was gonna make a valid comment here, until I saw that the Gunny doesn't have a profile. Doc would be all over my ass. Someone lemme know when a profile is completed and I'll be back.

crazymjb
06-07-09, 10:03 AM
I'd say I fear death, and no I haven't been in the **** yet. But I'm young, I'm happy, I don't want to leave this world or my loved ones behind. I accept death as a reality. I would say I equally fear losing my loved ones and close friends, especially since my girlfriend (whom I have every intention of marrying) is also a Marine. I am ten times more worried about her going over than I am myself.

I DON'T feel by becoming a Marine I effectively signed a suicide contract. It's not like I am in WWII about to storm some beachhead with a less then 50/50 chance of survival. Yes I chose an inherently dangerous lifestyle, but fortunately combat today is nothing like what it was for generations past. This is not to say men and women don't die, but there is a much lesser chance of it "happening to you."

Mike

Petz
06-07-09, 10:12 AM
you should ask them why then is it with the Marines and Army fighting on the same front that the Army is dying twice as much?

The Marines have a better strategy in country than the Army, we are what's called a 'hard' target (hard to hit) while the Army more often than not is a 'soft' target (easy to hit and escape)...

regardless of MOS you will be exposed to dangers, and you can/will be responsible for your brothers to your left and to your right when fighting.

As PIB made it so clear, fear is relative and those who don't use it as a tool to kill the enemy will only shy away from protecting those who are relying on you to survive the firefight.

sbombard15
06-07-09, 10:27 AM
I just realize I could die of a heart attack or something while writing this. One of my best friends died when we were 14 from a condition no one knew about and is VERY rare. This has made me realize that we can go at anytime for any reason. Theres only one promise in life, and that is death.

Petz
06-07-09, 10:49 AM
more people die from car accidents a year than have the total kia wia in the Marine Corps... you should ask your co-workers if THEY are afraid to die... don't forget to add the "normal" flu kills 30,000 a year... and then there's choking on food and having an allergic reaction to pollen or bees.... skin cancer...

PaidinBlood
06-07-09, 10:52 AM
For whatever reason this seemed to be my question of the day at work and its really got me thinking. Or it did and now I've decided on my personal beliefs.

On second thought, maybe the contemplative approach was wrong. When questioned by some faggot who was scared to serve just tell him to go fuk himself...

PaidinBlood
06-07-09, 10:53 AM
more people die from car accidents a year than have the total kia wia in the Marine Corps... you should ask your co-workers if THEY are afraid to die... don't forget to add the "normal" flu kills 30,000 a year... and then there's choking on food and having an allergic reaction to pollen or bees.... skin cancer...

You're starting to give me the willies now...I see death around every corner and under my bed now...:scared:

Petz
06-07-09, 10:54 AM
no, you helped him better understand the situation.... THAT wasn't wrong... I do tend to agree with you on this (second to) last post... yet it doesn't do HIM any good.

PaidinBlood
06-07-09, 10:58 AM
http://icons.iconator.com/777/ICONATOR_e35ddb6e7696823162cb22aeb4faada1.png

DocGreek
06-07-09, 10:58 AM
WOW!....For most humans, it takes 50 to 60 years to come to grips with their mortality. Accepting your responsibilities, as a Marine...means that you've given your WORD to "Preserve, Protect, and Defend...The Constitution of The United States, from any, and ALL enemies...foriegn or domestic." If you can not stand by those words...DO NOT BECOME A MARINE! When I'm leaning over a fallen, wounded Marine, I have to be sure that you WILL kill the enemy soldier about to kill me, because, if you don't...we ALL die!! Do you GET IT NOW???......DOC

ameriken
06-07-09, 11:09 AM
I guess I dont fear death itself as much as I do the process. Will it be a long process involving pain and suffering? Will it be as simple and easy as falling asleep and not waking up? Will I see it coming? Will it be violent?

So I guess for me, it is more a fear of the trip rather than the destination.

Petz
06-07-09, 11:19 AM
I think the pain and uncertainty of death is what ALL people who fear death are afraid of Ameriken... after the pain what's next?

from a strictly scientific standpoint you still have 10 mins of brain function where some theorize that you can still see if your eyes are open and even still feel pain during that time... then after that time you just cease to exist... your biological computer (brain) powers down and is nothing but biodegradable matter.

so, this uncertainty is what people fear... is there an afterlife for the non religeous tends to be a biggy... where, as the rest of us wonder, in that life we will fit.

shnon89
06-07-09, 11:32 AM
The biggest threat to the Constitution at this point in time are politicians not all but some. I know this is off subject but I had to say it.

ameriken
06-07-09, 11:39 AM
I think the pain and uncertainty of death is what ALL people who fear death are afraid of Ameriken... after the pain what's next?

from a strictly scientific standpoint you still have 10 mins of brain function where some theorize that you can still see if your eyes are open and even still feel pain during that time... then after that time you just cease to exist... your biological computer (brain) powers down and is nothing but biodegradable matter.

so, this uncertainty is what people fear... is there an afterlife for the non religeous tends to be a biggy... where, as the rest of us wonder, in that life we will fit.
I dont have that fear of the afterlife or what comes after death. Maybe 20 years ago I did. I think what Doc said is correct.....as you get older you come to a better grip with your own mortality. I used to have a greater fear of death itself, or rather at losing my chance at living a full life. However, as of right now, I have more a fear of the process of dying than I do what comes after.

As for that 10 mins of brain function....sounds like more than I have right now!

ameriken
06-07-09, 11:42 AM
The biggest threat to the Constitution at this point in time are politicians not all but some. I know this is off subject but I had to say it.
Read the rules about non-Marines making political posts.

In other words, dont.

Rule Ten there will no political threads or posts of any kind in the recruit forums, you are here to concentrate on the yellow foot steps not politics!

Wyoming
06-07-09, 12:05 PM
I wanna die in my 80's or 90's while being chased down the street, by an angry mob, of jealous husbands, wielding sticks and throwing rocks.

FistFu68
06-07-09, 01:29 PM
:evilgrin: The only thing that Scares Me about dying I ain't gonna FUC no more :scared: :iwo:

PaidinBlood
06-07-09, 02:21 PM
The only thing that Scares Me about dying I ain't gonna FUC no more

SF Jody...I know that it will be like hell for you... :D

cmixcoatl
06-07-09, 03:04 PM
"A warrior must focus his attention on the link between himself and his death. Without remorse or sadness or worrying, he must focus his attention on the fact that he does not have time and let his acts flow accordingly. He must let each of his acts be his last battle on earth. Only under those conditions will they have their rightful power. Otherwise they will be, for as long as he lives, the acts of a fool."

"A warrior knows that his death is waiting, and the very act he is performing now may well be his last battle on earth... It's only natural that this should be the best of himself. It's pleasurable that way. It dulls the edge of his fright."

"Death is our eternal companion. It is always to our left, an arm's length behind us. Death is the only wise advisor a warrior has. Whenever he feels that everything is going wrong and he's about to be annihilated, he can turn to his death and ask if that is so. His death will tell him that he is wrong, that nothing really matters outside its touch. His death will tell him, 'I haven't touched you yet.'"

PaidinBlood
06-07-09, 03:12 PM
"A warrior must focus his attention on the link between himself and his death. Without remorse or sadness or worrying, he must focus his attention on the fact that he does not have time and let his acts flow accordingly. He must let each of his acts be his last battle on earth. Only under those conditions will they have their rightful power. Otherwise they will be, for as long as he lives, the acts of a fool."

"A warrior knows that his death is waiting, and the very act he is performing now may well be his last battle on earth... It's only natural that this should be the best of himself. It's pleasurable that way. It dulls the edge of his fright."

"Death is our eternal companion. It is always to our left, an arm's length behind us. Death is the only wise advisor a warrior has. Whenever he feels that everything is going wrong and he's about to be annihilated, he can turn to his death and ask if that is so. His death will tell him that he is wrong, that nothing really matters outside its touch. His death will tell him, 'I haven't touched you yet.'"

Three thoughts on that.
1.If you're going to borrow the work, credit the author by name.
2.Although very poignant and stoic, words are words until you've lived them.
3.I want to clarify that there is nothing good about dying for your country, but there are things worse. While I am encouraging you guys to face your fears, we don't need any damn martyrs-just do your job and trust the rest unto your Maker...

“Duty is the most sublime word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less.”

Robert E Lee

PaidinBlood
06-07-09, 03:14 PM
My googling points out Carlos Castaneda to me...

ggyoung
06-07-09, 03:26 PM
I think every Marine on this site had or have a fear of dying. It was keep inside of our mind. We talked about not wanting to be all missed up when we came home from Vietnam. You know like having your legs or arms blown off.

cmixcoatl
06-07-09, 03:50 PM
My googling points out Carlos Castaneda to me...

Correct.

Journey to Ixtlan: The Lessons of Don Juan

Blues65
06-07-09, 04:25 PM
I never gave dying any thought until we went on our first combat mission; we were aboard the Gunston Hall. They took our platoon (out of our tanks) and flew us up to mountain top by helicopter to guard an artillery emplacement, during operation Harvest Moon. We were standing in a long line waiting to board a helicopter and I was making stupid nervous jokes trying to hide my fear. One of the sergeants standing nearby grabbed my arm and said “shut Up Emmitt” as I looked back his expression soften and he said “Men are praying”. I bowed my head and asked God to look out for us and so he did.

After that, I trusted God would continue looking out for us and never thought about it again.

GavinL91
06-07-09, 04:26 PM
Going into the battlefield with a fear of dying means you will die,while if you go into the battlefield knowing that you will die,you will come out alive.

Something the samuri's lived by,look it up.

PaidinBlood
06-07-09, 04:47 PM
I never gave dying any thought until we went on our first combat mission; we were aboard the Gunston Hall. They took our platoon (out of our tanks) and flew us up to mountain top by helicopter to guard an artillery emplacement, during operation Harvest Moon. We were standing in a long line waiting to board a helicopter and I was making stupid nervous jokes trying to hide my fear. One of the sergeants standing nearby grabbed my arm and said “shut Up Emmitt” as I looked back his expression soften and he said “Men are praying”. I bowed my head and asked God to look out for us and so he did.

After that, I trusted God would continue looking out for us and never thought about it again.

To each his own,but I think that might have said it the simplest...:thumbup:
I understood in an instant. Might be a good closing note before poolees keep cut-and-pasting their favorite quotes on death. Leave it to the voice of experience and let each man decide for himself.. :usmc:

Wyoming
06-07-09, 05:07 PM

Amen Brother and Welcome Home.

I guarantee, there was a lot of praying going on at the time.

... and I agree with PIB, good ending.

MarinesFTW
06-07-09, 06:14 PM
All I want to say is thank you Marines for everything you have done to protect and defend this wonderful country, and I hope to one day follow in your foot steps and do what your brothers and you have done. Thank You and God Bless!

SlingerDun
06-07-09, 06:31 PM
If you give a damn about life and the living or you just got things to do, it's scarry every time you realize hey.... this could or almost killed me! Every time. The rest of that BS is inexperience and ego covering up the truth. But if your sure you don't give a damn? Theres plenty of suicides who "hit the end of their rope" so to speak, that might say it ain't no big deal.

--->Dave

Phantom Blooper
06-07-09, 07:10 PM
Fear Of Death?

Feelings of dread?

Overwhelming thoughts?

Rapid heartbeat?

Tunnel vision?

Worse?

Try Fukitol.....guaranteed to work or your next of kin gets your money.

As FDR said, "We have nothing to fear,but fear itself!"

Death is one of the few things one has no control over....we all will die....either by natural cause,accident,urban violence,stupidity or war.

One of the facts of life.....

If you go through your Marine Corps career fearing death...you will have no life.

The thing to fear is your brother or sister dying in your arms or beside you and you can do nothing except comfort them and try to keep the inevitable Grim Reaper at bay.

Death is a reality.....whether your 20 or 100....one day you will meet your maker....to relish and welcome death is foolish....but real.

And remember, no matter what you eat, no matter what you do or don't do, sooner or later you gonna die. Enjoy your life.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.:evilgrin:

DDog111075
06-07-09, 07:19 PM

Wow that's a great answer.... you hit the nail right on the head. :thumbup:

PaidinBlood
06-07-09, 07:50 PM
I appreciate the endorsement, but I must ask-how do you know?
You can imagine, but how do you really know...?
Devildog10nov75 is kind of borrowing the legacy I paid to hold a share in..
Not trying to give you a hard time-you are obviously a genuine believer with good intentions.
Just saying...

Good luck with all the waiver mess :thumbup:

Petz
06-07-09, 09:38 PM
so this thread is closed????

Quinbo
06-07-09, 09:50 PM
Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of death I will fear no evil. I am the baddest mo-fo in the valley.

MrSnips
06-07-09, 10:06 PM
I think some of you mistook my "fear" of death as apprehension. I am willing to die if it is what it takes to keep my brothers and my sisters and more importantly my daughter living in this wonderful country. I don't want to die and i don't believe i signed up to do that. But if its what it takes than so be it.

I can only bow my head to the Marines and any other man or woman in any service that has given the ultimate sacrifice to keep America free.

PaidinBlood
06-07-09, 10:27 PM
so this thread is closed????

Sure as hell ought to be...

Petz
06-07-09, 10:29 PM
soooo, that means no?

can we spam the sh!t out of it then?!!

PaidinBlood
06-07-09, 10:39 PM
That usually does the trick...SF :usmc:

Petz
06-07-09, 10:42 PM
spam and ham in mac and cheese makes for a great meal... if you have a electric hot pot you can get the rest sent in a care package and enjoy some healthy alternative to one mean a day while deployed... problem is you need electricity... it's great to be a maint Marine as we know people in every maint field... plus we rate a generator!!!!

PaidinBlood
06-07-09, 10:44 PM
It's great to be a grunt because we jack the Fvck out of whatever we need! :D
(Got to get the last remaining mileage out of it while I can....:usmc:)

Petz
06-07-09, 10:48 PM
oh... well, we can do that too....

but honestly... it's all good.

I fixed a pajero in country and the unit just gave it to us! haha.... our CWO made us trip it out... I said it defeated the purpose of having it as we'd use it for short trips instead of filling out trip tickets of wearing flak and kevlars... so I returned it to the unit as it was a waste of time... we actually needed to get a SNCO signature to go somewhere with it.

we ended up actually paying for a flatbed (unit funds) that we didn't need to trip out... wonder how the leadership felt about that??

PaidinBlood
06-07-09, 10:50 PM
I stole a HMMWV from the Army @ Habbaniya but had to ditch it because it got stuck during the escape and didn't even have reverse...bastards...

Petz
06-07-09, 10:54 PM
I could have fixed that for you... and you shouldn't tell anyone that... you can get court martialed...

PaidinBlood
06-07-09, 10:55 PM
But it never happened, so I'm good :D

Pete0331
06-07-09, 10:59 PM
I stole a HMMWV from the Army @ Habbaniya but had to ditch it because it got stuck during the escape and didn't even have reverse...bastards...

Thats funny.
Our unit was at Babylon after the major ground war crap was done with.
Someone high up in I MEF came by to do the usual Moto-Semper-Gumbi-America-supports-you speech.
He told a story about how he stole a bunch of HMMWV's from the Army in Kuwait before the ground war started.

For some reason the Army leaves their vehicles unguarded. :marine:

steggy
06-07-09, 11:10 PM
Theres only one promise in life, and that is death.
Correction. There are two promises in life. Death and taxes.

PaidinBlood
06-07-09, 11:13 PM
Yeah we've moved on past the morbid quotes and euphemisms from people who have no clue...just in case you didn't notice. We're talking about spam and larceny now. Get with it.

ameriken
06-07-09, 11:14 PM
Correction. There are two promises in life. Death and taxes.

And taxes have eternal life. :sick:

Pete0331
06-07-09, 11:18 PM
Yeah we've moved on past the morbid quotes and euphemisms from people who have no clue...just in case you didn't notice. We're talking about spam and larceny now. Get with it.

I had to edit my post three times to take out the incriminating info. :marine:

steggy
06-07-09, 11:18 PM
Sorry LCpl. I didn't think that was morbid.

PaidinBlood
06-07-09, 11:42 PM
It's all good. I"m just saying we've moved onto jacking this thread.... Go on, get some of it for yourself.. :thumbup:

Wyoming
06-07-09, 11:44 PM
I think some of you mistook my "fear" of death as apprehension. I am willing to die if it is what it takes to keep my brothers and my sisters and more importantly my daughter living in this wonderful country. I don't want to die and i don't believe i signed up to do that. But if its what it takes than so be it.

I can only bow my head to the Marines and any other man or woman in any service that has given the ultimate sacrifice to keep America free.

Sorry, but you DON'T know!!

steggy
06-07-09, 11:57 PM
It's all good. I"m just saying we've moved onto jacking this thread.... Go on, get some of it for yourself.. :thumbup:
hahaha. I would but I'm not very experienced in the field of larceny :angel:

Petz
06-08-09, 12:07 AM
um... we mean spaming this thread... steal a piece for yourself.

steggy
06-08-09, 02:57 AM
just in case you didn't notice. We're talking about spam and larceny now. Get with it.
That's what i was referring to SSgt. I didn't see the spam part before but i do now.