PDA

View Full Version : Glasses in bootcamp

Equipped Possum
06-06-09, 09:01 PM
I know that when i get there i will be assigned a pair of BCG's, but you don't graduate in those do you?
The glasses i have now are unfit to wear in uniform and i'm blind as a bat so going without is not an option. So should i bring my contacts or what?

Lisa 23
06-06-09, 09:30 PM
Equipped Possum......you are not allowed to wear contacts during your training in Boot Camp, and more than likely, you will graduate with the BCG's. That's just the way it goes......
I believe after you get out into the fleet, you can get yourself a new pair of glasses.

commdog7
06-06-09, 09:35 PM
Little scuttle-butt here, but I've heard of one recruit who wore contacts to boot camp. He left them in the whole time and didn't tell anyone. When he did the gas chamber, he was given a safety brief about not wearing contacts in the gas chamber, but he did it anyways. The contacts fused with his eye and he went blind. Don't know if it's true or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were- some recruits do the stupidest things.

ameriken
06-06-09, 10:07 PM
I know that when i get there i will be assigned a pair of BCG's, but you don't graduate in those do you?
The glasses i have now are unfit to wear in uniform and i'm blind as a bat so going without is not an option. So should i bring my contacts or what?
All glasses and contacts, except for the BCG's, are unfit for uniform during boot camp.

Phantom Blooper
06-07-09, 10:16 AM
The Marine Corps will give you all the equipment you need possum....soon as you graduate if you have family in the stands they can slip you the cool glasses to wear home!

DO A SEARCH THERE ARE PLENTY POSTS ON THIS SITE....PUT ON YOUR GLASSES IF YOU NEED TOO!:evilgrin:

Petz
06-07-09, 10:26 AM
Little scuttle-butt here, but I've heard of one recruit who wore contacts to boot camp. He left them in the whole time and didn't tell anyone. When he did the gas chamber, he was given a safety brief about not wearing contacts in the gas chamber, but he did it anyways. The contacts fused with his eye and he went blind. Don't know if it's true or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were- some recruits do the stupidest things.

um, CS gas will only jack you up more with contacts... you pose a greater chance of it getting under the contacts and your eyeball juice not washing it away.. the stuff will also scratch your eyeball cover skin.

dirt can get under it as well... when I was at MCT a reservist wore contacts and his cornea was all scratched up from dust 'cause he wore contacts when he shouldn't have.

they bandaged his eyes up and was assigned a blind seeing eye Marine to walk him around everywhere.... it was funny, he wasn't allowed to take his arm off the Marines shoulder and had to go where the Marine went (not the other way around except when he went to medical to get the bandages changed)

just do what you're told kid... you'll be a Marine and you should learn to play by the rules lest you figure it out the hard way.

Supersquishy
06-07-09, 11:07 AM
You will get BC's, fashion will be the least of your concern in boot camp. I had BC's in boot camp, it made the logs on the confidence course look bowed, don't ask me why. Plus they made us cut half an ear protection foamy and tape it to bridge with white tape at the rifle range, they said it helped with aiming with the rifle, I think it helped us look like nerds LOL

Petz
06-07-09, 11:21 AM
...it also stopped the glasses from sliding around and down while sweating...

but I'm sure 90% of it was to make you look like nerds.

don't forget the soap on the lenses to keep them from fogging up.

thin coat from the bar of soap.

Wyoming
06-07-09, 12:00 PM
... or a bit of shaving cream.

Works for me.

Petz
06-07-09, 02:38 PM
well that works when you aren't using the gillete shaving gel they make recruits use now....

PaidinBlood
06-07-09, 03:24 PM
they bandaged his eyes up and was assigned a blind seeing eye Marine to walk him around everywhere....

What good was a blind seeing eye Marine? In classical iconic art, the blind leading the blind was a common allusion to heresy/heretics... Cheers!:beer:
http://photo.net/general-comments/attachment/13518270/blind%20leading.jpg

ecom
06-08-09, 08:35 PM
It's not recommended that you wear contacts. In recruit training, I remember that others wore their civilian glasses for the first week or two until they got their BCs. How eccentric are your glasses taht you cannot wear them?

Once you graduate recruit training, you can wear conservative civilian glasses while in uniform - including cammies if you're in garrison. You can get some free non-BC styles from the Navy optometry clinics if you want, or you can take the prescription and get your own elsewhere - but you'll pay for them completely out of pocket.