PDA

View Full Version : Almost ready to swear in

dakensei
06-06-09, 07:41 PM
First let me say that this page an its forums have been invaluable to the research and preparation I have done on my path to enlistment and hopefully one day becoming a U.S. Marine.
I am currently facing a dilemma and I need some the opinion(s) and or recommendations.

I am a lawful resident of the United States and have been so for 10 years. I have been eligible for citizenship for 6 years now. I owe much to this country and its people. My daughter was born in Fort Lauderdale, FL 8 years ago. Since I am a child I have been very involved and interested in anything American. I have always looked up to the men and women of the armed forces, especially the Marines, with great respect and admiration. I have considered enlisting for a few years but 6 months ago that feeling started to become a concrete idea and plan in my mind. I felt time was running out for me to try (I am 28) and I don't want to look back later in life and regret not having made an attempt to become a Marine and serve this country.
2 months ago I called a recruiter and I met with him. I went very well prepared having read a lot about the Marines the different MOS's, Requirements, I watched every boot camp video and every movie I could find about the Marines. I know my age is the weak link in the chain.I have accepted the fact that I might be called grandpa or any other nickname referring to old age. Thats fine. I have thick skin. I asked the recruiter about this and he said its possible that might happen. I appreciated his honesty.

I took the ASVAB a week ago. Here are my scores as written on paper by the recruiter. AFQT 87 GT 129 EL 128 MM 129 CL 123

I qualify for many different MOS's. except for the fact that I am not a citizen, which then limits my choices significantly. My hopes were that I could go into the Intelligence field, or maybe become a Linguist, more than anything else I would like to be 0321.
I understand that my needs are lesser than those of The Corps, but i think I can provide more for The Corps if I can cut it in one of these fields.

So my questions are that I havent found an answer to either on this forum or anywhere else are:
-How fast can I become a U.S. Citizen If I apply once I'm in the Corps?
-Will I be able to do a move into one of the Citizen only fields once I receive my citizenship? Like Recon or Linguist or anything in the Intelligence field.
-Should I put my Citizenship papers in now and pay the $687.00 and wait for the civilian timeframe it takes to become a Citizen or wait til I'm a Recruit and pay the $0.00 and wait on the Military time frame to become a citizen.
- Which would be faster?
- Is it true that you can try out for Recon from any MOS, are your chances for a shot hindered by the fact that you are not 03xx?

Thanks for reading this far, and for your help and opinions. Above all thank you for defending our country, mastering our enemies and saving our lives.