PDA

View Full Version : Medical Wavers

DDog111075
06-05-09, 12:42 PM
Hello , I'm a Marine wannabe and I'm fairly new to the site. Im going to try to follow the rules as much as possible here , and give all the former Marines and current Marines the utter most respect as possible.

Down to Business , i have researched this topic and could not find any similar ones so here's my question.

I had Heart surgery in 1st Grade , reason being from a valve in my heart that did not close when i was a baby. The problem was fixed and I'm perfectly normal. I'm in good physical condition , i have played soccer and volleyball all my life. More to the point , will the Marine Corps reject me because of this or can i get a Medical waver ?

The condition i had is no longer a problem , and I'm completely cured and no longer have of a heart murmur. Does anyone know ?

Respectfully submitted , DDog111075

:flag:

NoRemorse
06-05-09, 12:46 PM
Since we're near end-strength expect to be looked at plenty hard for a variety of reasons. Good luck getting those records, anything after 7 years is a b!tch to get a hold of. They may be satisifed with a physical, an echo, a heart cath; whatever, there are options but all of them cost money.

Go talk to a recruiter.

DDog111075
06-05-09, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the reply NoRemorse. I had an echo cardiogram a year or two back and there where no issues. Im in good health. I just had a physical today as a matter of fact and asked my doctor if the military would accept me. He said they would but hes not a Marine recruiter.

NoRemorse
06-05-09, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the reply NoRemorse. I had an echo cardiogram a year or two back and there where no issues. Im in good health. I just had a physical today as a matter of fact and asked my doctor if the military would accept me. He said they would but hes not a Marine recruiter.

And a Marine recruiter isn't a MEPS doctor but he'll have a better idea. Ya ain't got nothing to lose but time and you'll lose plenty more of that at MEPS, but there's so much to gain.

Hartford
06-05-09, 01:01 PM
First step in the process is to talk to a recruiter. Bring your medical documents with you on the first visit so they can get them faxed up to MEPS.

DDog111075
06-05-09, 01:10 PM
where would i get my medical documents from ?

DGardner
06-05-09, 01:31 PM
where would i get my medical documents from ?

The office that did the surgery should have them. If not, check with your doctor.

NoRemorse
06-05-09, 01:32 PM
That's why I said good luck. You'd have to find out who performed the procedure and whether or not they retained any records. After 7-10 years or after closing an office most records are destroyed. Nowadays they digitize them and keep them on file.

You may not be able to get records so they'd probably run a different battery of tests on you to corroborate your story and medical history. Also, you could acquire any follow up documentation from after the surgery that details your condition.

But first talk to a recruiter.

DDog111075
06-05-09, 01:41 PM
Ok , i will get that squared away . Luckily i do know the doctor who performed the surgery, so hopefully he still does have the records. If not then i will have to settle with recent medical documents. But from any Marines point of view , do you think they will take me based on a problem that occurred when i was 6-7 years old ?

DGardner
06-05-09, 02:11 PM
Ok , i will get that squared away . Luckily i do know the doctor who performed the surgery, so hopefully he still does have the records. If not then i will have to settle with recent medical documents. But from any Marines point of view , do you think they will take me based on a problem that occurred when i was 6-7 years old ?

I'm certainly not a Marine but, heart problems are not something I would personally, waive that easily. They're serious and they're going to make darn sure that it's not going to flare up during Military service. Best of luck. Keep us updated.

44ghad
06-05-09, 05:28 PM
Well Dog, got to say you caught my attention with this one, being I'm going to have to see soon if my slpeenectomy will require a waiver or just a review. So yes I too trudged through gobs of internet uselessness looking for info. The best I found is an article saying med waivers depend largely on how badly the Corps needs bodies and/or the mos you're signing in for, plus it's kind of case by case. If you walk on water in evry other capacity then maybe the recruit commander will push your case anyway. I do have to say with any kind of heart deal you no doubt have a fight on your hands. Don't give up though, one recruiter supposedly called meps 3 times and got no for me, but another called with the rss commander and meps said bring the med docs. See my point? Ya it's just my search results but as far as I can tell there is but there isn't a canon. Confused now? Good. Welcome to my world

DDog111075
06-05-09, 09:08 PM
I'm fully capable of doing the work and the training, I'm ready for it. I just don't want my heart problem i HAD to be an issue. Its gone and its done with , and I'm not going to let it prevent me from being what i want most in life. Being a Marine in my life is my goal , i wanna be one of the best. So ill work on it as best as i can. Hopefully the end result is what i desire.

NoRemorse
06-05-09, 10:26 PM
Look, I had a heart attack at the age of 23-24 and I'm cleared for Active Duty pending a reenlistment code waiver.

Shut up and plan for success. Get your trash, square yourself away and go talk to a recruiter.

DDog111075
06-05-09, 10:37 PM
Roger that , I'm on it !

44ghad
06-06-09, 03:44 AM
Ya DDog if you boil down what I said you'l get what Pfc NoRemorse said. You keep plugging, do what you know you have to do, it'll work itself out. I think you're in a boat like me. Like my recruiter says "it's if you're gonna die during a run because you don't have an uneccessary organ" and like They keep reiterating here, theres no doc that frequents to refer to. So I would think you can prove non-progressive, non exclusion(from required training or service), and no danger to others or someone who may have to treat you.... obstcles sure but problem? Probably not. Once more if I might coat tale NoRemorse and make an addition- do what you have to, and if that means talking to a new recruiter.... ok? Keep fighting.

DDog111075
06-06-09, 08:59 AM
Well its really their choice , the problem i had was fixed in first grade. In fact if i didn't even tell my recruiter or the Marine Corps i bet they would never know. I played soccer , a running sport all my life. I played Striker or "attacker" which ever you would like to call it. I played that position from 1st grade to 10th grade. So i know i can do the work , and i know nothing will happen to me , because my problem was fixed. So even know i know i can do the work its not my decision. Hopefully they will take me , if not i will have to show them . If i cant find my medical records on my heart , since it was so long ago i will have to show them recent info. I'm guessing they will give me a PFT and that will decide if I'm capable. <---- is that true ? or will they decide another way ?

Respectfully, DDog111075
:flag:

Lisa 23
06-06-09, 10:07 AM
DDog111075.....your best bet is to gather all the info you can from whatever doctors you can get them from in regards to your heart surgury as a child and whatever testing you had done as an adult, and take them to your Recruiter and let them take it from there. That's the only way you are going to know what steps you need to take if they are going to grant you a medical waiver or not.
Best of luck to you! :thumbup:

DGardner
06-06-09, 10:44 AM
In fact if i didn't even tell my recruiter or the Marine Corps i bet they would never know.

BZZZT Bad idea.

Fraudulent Enlistment isn't fun.

fjmas1976
06-06-09, 11:14 AM
BZZZT Bad idea.

Fraudulent Enlistment isn't fun.

I shipped out with a kid who didnt mention lung surgery he had undergone as a child. They found out during the first week on the Island, and he was gone. Fraudulent Enlistment is no good:evilgrin:

DDog111075
06-06-09, 11:38 AM
Well obviously I'm not going to do that , i was just using it as an example of how unnoticeable it is. The only visual evidence that i had heart surgery is a pen sized scar on the left hand side of my back. Anyway we'll see what happens soon. BTW I'm not interested in enlisting. I'm doing PLC or NROTC in college. But talking to a recruiter is always a good idea.

DGardner
06-06-09, 03:06 PM
Well obviously I'm not going to do that , i was just using it as an example of how unnoticeable it is. The only visual evidence that i had heart surgery is a pen sized scar on the left hand side of my back. Anyway we'll see what happens soon. BTW I'm not interested in enlisting. I'm doing PLC or NROTC in college. But talking to a recruiter is always a good idea.

Officer programs are a lot more selective when it comes to waivers, in my little experience.

DDog111075
06-06-09, 10:06 PM
As in how more selective ?

DGardner
06-06-09, 10:40 PM
As in how more selective ?

I can't really give you specifics. I'm just going by my own experiences.

Lisa 23
06-06-09, 10:46 PM
DDog111075.....if I were going through what you are, I would just gather all my info from all doctors and take it to a Recruiter and a doctor at MEPS. That's the only way you are going to get any answers to your questions, and that includes on how selective the Officers programs are with their waivers.
Again....the best of luck to you! :thumbup:

Capital M
06-07-09, 12:07 AM
On Marineocs.com, I read somewhere that each of the Officer Candidates are reviewed by BUMED, after you go to MEPs

DDog111075
06-07-09, 09:17 AM
What is BUMED ? i have never heard of that .

DGardner
06-07-09, 12:34 PM
What is BUMED ? i have never heard of that .

Bureau of Medicine and Surgery. Their the top dog when it comes to Navy Medicine, they have the final say-so in whether something is approved, or denied.

On Marineocs.com, I read somewhere that each of the Officer Candidates are reviewed by BUMED, after you go to MEPs

That can happen with enlisted persons as well. :nerd: