PDA

View Full Version : Marine base honors former general

thedrifter
06-05-09, 11:27 AM
Marine base honors former general
Kristina Hernandez, Staff Writer
Posted: 06/04/2009 05:35:56 PM PDT

BARSTOW - The Marine Corps Logistics Base in Barstow held a street naming, facility dedication and ribbon ceremony Thursday for the newly remodeled Major General James L. Day Conference Center.

The facility was named after Day, a Medal of Honor recipient and one of the 50 most decorated military servicemen, said Col. Kenneth Enzor, who oversaw the renovation.

"When I took command of the base, I realized that we did not have a facility or street named after a Medal of Honor recipient, so we began looking for an opportunity to do so," he said. "When the base staff decided to renovate the club, we decided to name the facility after Gen. Day who is a legend in the Marine Corps."

Fifty years after his heroic actions in World War II on Okinawa, Maj. Gen. Day was awarded the Medal of Honor on Jan. 20, 1998, by then President Bill Clinton.

Throughout his military career, Day was the recipient of three Silver Stars; the Defense Superior Service Medal; Legion of Merit with Combat "V"; the Bronze Star with Combat "V"; Navy Commendation Medal with Combat "V"; and six Purple Hearts.

His military career began when he enlisted in the Marines early in World War II.

After the war, Day was assigned to the the Barstow Base from 1949 to 1952 as a gunnery sergeant and served as a first lieutenant from 1953 to 1954 after completing Officers Candidate School.

While serving at the base, he met his wife Sally Aguayo, a then newspaper columnist and they were married in 1951.

The couple remained married until his death in Oct. 1998.

Thursday's ceremony was attended by his widow and members of his family, including his daughter Gayle Day, who still resides in Barstow.

The now remodeled center holds 377 people, up from its original number of 277, has the latest in multimedia technology and has a full-stocked bar renamed the Sugar Loaf Bar where Day's heroics took place in Okinawa, Enzor said.

The base also renamed the street in front of the facility James L. Day Street in his honor, he said.

"He's a hometown hero here," said Enzor. "I haven't personally met him, but I have heard a lot of men, people describe him as a very humble man and an absolute gentleman.

"I think he would be absolutely humbled that we dedicated this facility to him."

kristina.hernandez@inlandnewspapers.com
(909) 386-3925

Ellie