PDA

View Full Version : Siouxland veteran can't forget 'horror' of Iwo Jima battle

thedrifter
06-05-09, 08:18 AM
Siouxland veteran can't forget 'horror' of Iwo Jima battle

Posted: June 4, 2009 09:27 PM

WASHINGTON, D.C. (KTIV) - For 36 days, in February and March of 1945, U.S. Marines fought to capture the Pacific Island of Iwo Jima from the Japanese. The price was high. It cost U.S. forces nearly 7,000 lives. The Japanese lost more than 18,000 soldiers.

And, there's a northwest Iowa veteran who knows well the cost of the battle for Iwo Jima.

Before the water, and the white granite of the World War 2 Memorial, there was a monument to the service and sacrifice of American soldiers... the Iwo Jima Memorial.

30,000 Marines stormed ashore on the tiny Pacific island on February 19th, 1945. Among them... Cecil Akin. "We had no way of advancing on Iowa Jima because of all of the sniping going on," Akin said. "You just couldn't do it."

But, commanders told the Cherokee, Iowa-native that Marines should take the island in 3 or 4 days. "We didn't even get 2 blocks in 3 or 4 days," Akin said.

Akin commanded two machine gun squads. "I lost both of them in just 11 days," Akin said. "14 men." Though shaken, Akin says he wasn't scared. After all, he'd fought in another bloody Pacific battle... Guadalcanal. So, Akin was sure he would make it off Iwo Jima, "until I got hit with a big rocket!" It was one of two rockets fired by the Japanese, and killed many of the Marines fighting nearby. "I got a blast concussion in the stomach," Akin said. "I kinda remember me hollering."

Even 64-years later, Akin remembers something else... the horrors of war. "I think about it all the time," Akin said. "I don't care whether I'm walking down the street, I'm thinking about war all the time. At my house, I can't even turn my lights off. My lights are on all night. That's how it effects ya."

Akin can't forget, but has found a way to forgive. "Under the circumstances, yes. They were doing their job, and we were doing ours."

His "job" done, Akin has closure. And, he searches for comfort that may never come.

A footnote about the Battle of Iwo Jima. We've all seen the famous picture of the American flag being raised on Mount Suribachi. That was actually the second flag raised on that day, February 23rd, 1945. The first was smaller, and was raised hours earlier.

Ellie