PDA

View Full Version : Young Marines program teaches self-esteem, discipline

thedrifter
06-05-09, 08:10 AM
Young Marines program teaches self-esteem, discipline

By KRISTI FUNDERBURK
Staff Writer

VINELAND -- Standing below the hot sun on the blacktop behind the Marine Corps Detachment on Landis Avenue, a group of young men and one young woman ignore the sweat collecting on their faces and stand at attention.

The 16 local youths ranging in age from 8 to 18 are the first members of the state's only Young Marines program, which teaches mental and physical development, discipline and respect.

"This is an assignment to keep these kids out of trouble and away from drugs," said Frank Reyes, commander for the Vineland chapter and a U.S. Marine from 1978 to 1984. "It's to teach them to have self-discipline and self-esteem. Some of these kids need mentors."

The branch started in April and is the only Young Marines group in New Jersey and one of 296 across the country, Donald Shanks, deputy director for Young Marines National Headquarters, said.

Reyes and a handful of other instructors with military experience run a 26-hour orientation program affectionately called "Boot Camp," but Reyes said the program is designed for kids, not actual Marines.

The members meet twice a week for two hours to study military history, customs, physical fitness and rank structure, Reyes said. Once they graduate, they can learn new skills and earn a rank and ribbon awards, he said.

Lily Castro considered the program for her 11-year-old son, Michael, who thought it was "kind of cool."

"There are not a lot of activities around this area that kids can get involved in," she said. "This is a good place that's drug free and teaches kids to be young gentlemen."

The students involved have varied backgrounds. Most are young men ranging in age from 14 to 18, but the group also includes a 14-year-old girl and five 8-year-old boys.

Jannie Rios of Vineland is excited to be part of the program, even if she is the only girl.

"It feels great, actually, to show all the guys that girls can do a man's job," she said. "Plus, I will inspire other females to do the same."

Most members also come from Vineland or Millville, but this Young Marines chapter welcomes kids from all over South Jersey.

With the group's differences in mind, instructor Jim Guessford gave the members their first military lesson: "Even if there's 500 of you, you act as one, you think as one."

Guessford was a Marine from 1952 to 1968, and served as a drill sergeant, too.

"This is fantastic," he said. "It's long overdue. Something should have been done years ago."

Matthew Peterson, a 17-year-old from Millville Senior High School, said he wanted to join as soon as he heard about the Young Marines.

"I needed discipline in my life. I really had no one to discipline me. It's just me and my mom," he said.
Additional Facts
AT A GLANCE

To join Vineland's branch of the Young Marines, contact Frank Reyes at (856) 207-1976 or (856) 794-8167. The youth and service program is for boys and girls from age 8 through completion of high school. Meetings are held from 5 to 7 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays at the Marine Corps League's Semper Marine Detachment No. 205 at 2041 W. Landis Ave.

Ellie