PDA

View Full Version : Any one know how to lose 1 min. on the run.

C Thompson
06-05-09, 01:08 AM
Ok, I have already came along ways from when I first DEPed in, When I first started I had a 17+min mile and half run, Im curentaly running a 12:03. But my goal is to hit an 11min run. Any suggestions, I run every other day for 3 or more miles, and I only seem to improve by a few seconds ever two weeks I run an IST, any ideas would be awsome.

echo3oscar1833
06-05-09, 01:29 AM
As I used to be able to run a 17:50min 3 mile I would say Im pretty qualified to answer your question. So you wanna get your run time down, well here is the best advice I can give you. Start out by running with some kind of weight, I used a pack myself in the Corps, but you can buy those little ankle weights, and use other things. If you live near the ocean go out and run in the surf, it will kick your a$$, but will benefit you in the long run. I used to do that every day when I was in the fleet. Keep training, drink lots of water the night before of a run, get up in the moring drink a glass, and hit the run. Finally learn how to control your breathing, so you can better pace yourself. Don't start off fast, slowley increase until your about half way through your time whether its a mile and a half, or three mile. Once you hit that half way, explode your energy out, and give it all you got. Thats how I used to do it, worked for me everytime. Good Luck:D

P.S Im not BS'ing on the water part, make sure you drink alot of water. Get it saturated into you. I still to this day drink about 1-2 gallons a day easly.

usmcmsf
06-05-09, 02:10 AM
You could leave a minute early? Or, you could use sprints, run hills, resistance running with bands or parachute. The more you run the better/faster you will become, but these are good strength techniques that may help. Good luck.

Capital M
06-05-09, 02:11 AM
Along with the LCpl's adivce (I love running with weights, it helps so much) Try this program. If it is too intense, cut some mileage off from it. I started on this program and decreased my run times signifcantly. Follow through on it too! Good luck

http://running.about.com/od/5kracetr...5Kadvanced.htm (http://running.about.com/od/5kracetrainingschedules/a/5Kadvanced.htm)

Phantom Blooper
06-05-09, 06:29 AM
Get you some P.F. Flyers....at least it works in the commercials of yesteryear!:evilgrin:

0231Marine
06-05-09, 07:04 AM
Don't start your watch until after you've been running a minute?

DGardner
06-05-09, 07:11 AM
Ok, I have already came along ways from when I first DEPed in, When I first started I had a 17+min mile and half run, Im curentaly running a 12:03. But my goal is to hit an 11min run. Any suggestions, I run every other day for 3 or more miles, and I only seem to improve by a few seconds ever two weeks I run an IST, any ideas would be awsome.

Run faster.

ameriken
06-05-09, 07:16 AM
Get you some P.F. Flyers....at least it works in the commercials of yesteryear!:evilgrin:
I'd go with Keds.....'70's commercials promised you can 'run faster, jump higher'. :banana:

sparkie
06-05-09, 07:17 AM
Wind Sprints,,,,,,,,,,

Wyoming
06-05-09, 07:27 AM
Run faster.

Gardner, good one.

When I read #1, that is exactly what I was gonna say.

deBeer
06-05-09, 08:57 AM
You could leave a minute early? Or, you could use sprints, run hills, resistance running with bands or parachute. The more you run the better/faster you will become, but these are good strength techniques that may help. Good luck.

I do exactly that. For the sprints I do, 50 yard sprints and then run back to your starting place at 5-6MPH (I find it helps with breathing). In New York, I go to Sunken Meadow State Park which has some good cross country trails which I'm guessing all state parks do? But Sunken Meadow supposedly is in the top 5 hardest trails in the states. I use resistance running for flat ground running only.

Also, when you're running try and notice which is hurting more if you pick up pace, your muscles or your breathing. If its your breathing, I did the sprints exercise stated above and when its my muscles I use off road trails and such. But if anything add sprints to your work out, not only will they add muscle definition to your legs but it will get those lungs expanding for better breathing...combine the 2 and you will get a faster run

BigGunz90
06-05-09, 10:09 AM
I find that running in water works wonders. Also running hills and steps works good too.

MarinesFTW
06-06-09, 05:38 PM
Running.. Thats how you lose time.. You RUN

44ghad
06-06-09, 08:42 PM
Alls great suggestions especially Capital Ms link. Run harder yes but also have you been running daily? Because I usually do and when I really started this journy I hit a point where I was running 14ish. You know few seconds plus or minus but 14 average and couldn't seem to break the pattern. Til a while ago I ... ok so I slacked and didn't run for like 3 or 4 days and freaked thinking I'd screwed myself for p.t. that saturday. Lucky me it was cancelled, but I linked up with a buddy and hit the track anyway and ran a 12.45 skipped sunday then ran 12.15 monday. Point being take a break to let your muscles rest and repair. Come back and run like you're aimed for your usual, and watch an unpressed improvement.

rktect3j
06-06-09, 10:28 PM
the weights are a good idea.

But you should push the distance and speed will naturally follow. In other words run longer distances.

C Thompson
06-10-09, 11:35 PM
Thanks for all your help everyone, Im running an IST this saturday, Ive been practicing real hard for this, Ill keep ya'll posted on how well I did, thanks for the Motivation.

deBeer
06-11-09, 12:59 AM
Remember to start off slow. We do our IST's at a park where one lap is .75 miles, so when I'm finishing my first lap I ask for the time and depending on what it is, I will know to pick it up or not. Eventually once you can do the 1.5 in your sleep you will have a good feeling of what speed you can use for the whole run. Also, the last 50 yards or so I like to run as fast as I can, try and shave some seconds off.

ecom
06-12-09, 08:29 PM
Another thing to try is just lots of cardio vascular exercise. I seldom ran when I DEP'd in and my run time was around 12 min. I biked about 10 mi M-F and maybe 15 mi Saturday and I could run 1.5 mi in around 10 minutes by the time I shipped. I ran maybe 4 mi every other week only.

Some people have told me that swimming has helped them cut a lot of time off their runs also.

sparkie
06-12-09, 10:46 PM
Hard swimmimg, Yes,,,,,,, But wind sprints? There is no equal,,,,,,,,,,,,

ST331
06-12-09, 10:49 PM

lots and lots of intense cardio. Seriously thats the only answer.

sparkie
06-12-09, 10:54 PM
lots and lots of intense cardio. Seriously thats the only answer.

Like Wind Sprints??????

ecom
06-13-09, 06:57 PM
Like Wind Sprints??????

That or anything else that will get your heart rate up for an extended period of time; meaning 20 minutes or more. Twenty to 30 min would be better to help him prep for the 3mi PFT run, but one step at a time. Most important is for him to find something he's willing to do repeatedly be it swimming or sprints. I biked because it was part of my commute which was a two fold benefit because it saved me money on gas and it helped with physical conditioning.

If you start running out of breath, slow down, but don't stop. Try to at least keep a slow run rather than walk so your heart rate stays up. It's probably better not to do this every day though because your body does need some time to recover in between training sessions. Maybe have one or two days between session initially. Use this time off for upper body conditioning or something. Eventually start stepping up the training regiment so you start preparing for the PFT.

C Thompson
06-13-09, 09:15 PM
Again thanks for eveything guys, I ran my IST to day, I did; 11 - pull ups, 100 - situps, and believe it or not, my run time went down to 11:02!!! I tried a little of what everyone said, and every bit helped, thanks again to everyone who gave advised.

AlanJames
06-16-09, 11:46 AM
Run up hills, always run up hill.

NoRemorse
06-16-09, 12:24 PM
Run up hills, always run up hill.

in the snow... barefoot... both ways.

To add to 0231Marine's answer... Cheat!

Wind Sprints and Hard swimming? Machine.

ST331
06-16-09, 09:15 PM
Again thanks for eveything guys, I ran my IST to day, I did; 11 - pull ups, 100 - situps, and believe it or not, my run time went down to 11:02!!! I tried a little of what everyone said, and every bit helped, thanks again to everyone who gave advised.

Not all of us are natural endurance athletes that can run 300 PFTs. But there is no reason in the entire world why a Marine should not be a 1st class PFTer except for laziness.

Fievel
06-16-09, 09:38 PM
Not all of us are natural endurance athletes that can run 300 PFTs. But there is no reason in the entire world why a Marine should not be a 1st class PFTer except for laziness.

err!

ST331
06-16-09, 11:04 PM
err!

No matter how hard I try, my highest PFT was still only a 260, which is really mediocre to unsat for an Officer.

I'm more of a 40 yard dash, hang clean and bench guy...

Fievel
06-16-09, 11:44 PM
No matter how hard I try, my highest PFT was still only a 260, which is really mediocre to unsat for an Officer.

I'm more of a 40 yard dash, hang clean and bench guy...

I'm trying to remember what my score was. If I remember right, it was usually around the mid to high 250s. I think the biggest thing that killed me on the points, sir, was that I could only get about 15 pull-ups, and then I usually lost about 20 points on the run because I ran a little over 21 minutes on the 3 mile. Situps were not a problem. I usually did them and sat and watched the other Marines for the last 30 seconds, unless a Master Sergeant was yelling at me for stopping even though I had my score.

I wasn't the fastest in running, but I was a 1st class! :marine:

ST331
06-17-09, 01:14 AM
I'm trying to remember what my score was. If I remember right, it was usually around the mid to high 250s. I think the biggest thing that killed me on the points, sir, was that I could only get about 15 pull-ups, and then I usually lost about 20 points on the run because I ran a little over 21 minutes on the 3 mile. Situps were not a problem. I usually did them and sat and watched the other Marines for the last 30 seconds, unless a Master Sergeant was yelling at me for stopping even though I had my score.

I wasn't the fastest in running, but I was a 1st class! :marine:

I hate that. Little do they know that your core (abs and back) is a key element to your running performance. I hate it when they wanna be ooorah moto and make you do more than 100, when you can save your abs and lower back from getting smoked to give you a better run.

maverickmarine
06-18-09, 02:56 PM
Run faster.

Oustanding!! That's what I was going to say!

duarte
06-23-09, 09:42 PM
Also, lose 15 lbs. I did and my time dropped from like 10:40 to like 9:35.

MarinesFTW
06-24-09, 03:03 AM
Ok, I guess I have some idea's that are proven to lower your running time. Go and contact your Cross Country coach and tell him that you need to learn how to drop your time. You switch distance running with a thing called a speed workout. CC meets are normally 3 miles so his workouts will train to you get a heck of alot faster with the full lengh, not just half the lengh. I found training for the full 3 miles is easier then just doing the mile and a half. Say you can run a mile and a half in 9 minutes, but thats ALL you can run. You dont want it taking you 20 minutes for the other mile and a half. Of course this is a gross over estimation but it serves the purpose.