PDA

View Full Version : Has any Marine ever loved Bootcamp

Eldridge0311
06-03-09, 03:11 PM
Has any Marine ever loved Bootcamp or enjoyed it so much that they didn't want to leave?

SlaveToTheCorps
06-03-09, 03:24 PM
I'm not a Marine, but if I could go back & they said I had to stay my entire 4 years...I gladly would...I loved it!

StrikeQ
06-03-09, 03:30 PM
When my dad was a recruiter (Stockton CA - Armpit of the world he calls it). He had a mom drop off her son and said "He's yours now" and left him and never came back. He was 18, and dropped on his head a few times. They enlisted him and he stayed in boot camp the whole time. He'd go through all phases and come graduation they'd roll him to a new platoon just starting. Rinse and repeat.

wolf0259
06-03-09, 03:46 PM
I'm not a Marine either, but my brother is and many other Marines I've talked to all say that bootcamp is fun. They never realized it at the time, but they all look back and say how they wish they could do it again.

Phantom Blooper
06-03-09, 03:51 PM
Yeah like Professional Students there are Professional Boot campers that get recycled about three times then shiatcanned!:evilgrin:

usmcmsf
06-03-09, 03:52 PM
Bootcamp was fun but also sucked balls. You'll grow to love it more and appreciate it more once you leave.

Pete0331
06-03-09, 03:58 PM
Yeah like Professional Students there are Professional Boot campers that get recycled about three times then shiatcanned!:evilgrin:

Exactly, you don't want to be that guy.

I knew a guy at SOI who had been going there for one and a half years.
He legitimently kept getting hurt.
After awhile the instructors got used to him doing their office work and they wouldn't let him graduate.

I hate it when I see it.
Guys get trapped in the system, wasting everyones time and money.
They aren't released because of the the amount of BS the NCO/Officer has to deal with.

I've heard boots mention that they would rather be back at SOI.
Their priorities were messed up.

Boot Camp wasn't exacty fun, it was a learning expierence.
SOI was fun, got to shoot a lot of rounds.

ameriken
06-03-09, 04:15 PM
Boot camp was challenging, mind boggling, frustrating, maddening, inspiring and all sorts of things, and I truly cherish and am proud to have the experience.

But when did it ever become fun?

Wyoming
06-03-09, 04:18 PM
OK, don't jump my **** about the SEARCH button, but I can't find that thread about the CI in the face of the recruit.

As I understand, he is, or has been, sick.

Any ideas?

Wyoming
06-03-09, 04:25 PM
Damm, timed out on the edit.

I meant DI, not CI.

ameriken
06-03-09, 04:38 PM
Here ya go Big Al, apparantly he is better. http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81432&highlight=rose+garden

Greg1990
06-03-09, 06:28 PM

Hmm...what if you get recycled 3 times but want to stay and keep trying?

No go?

SGT7477
06-03-09, 10:18 PM
How could we ever kick azz and take names by staying in boot camp?

deBeer
06-04-09, 12:05 AM
Hmm...what if you get recycled 3 times but want to stay and keep trying?

No go?

My friends sister who is now a Marine and with all respect to her, was a fat body and just had a rough time emotionally during boot camp and made it through at her first swing at it. My opinion, if you are recycled 3 times you should receive a swift kick out of boot camp. All that shows is lack of motivation and I'm sure all Marines in here will agree, is a must! Medical reasons for being recycled is a different story...

commdog7
06-04-09, 07:42 AM
I don't know about it being 'fun', but I do remember feeling sad at the thought of leaving the night before graduation. The accomplishment of a challenge, it was the best feeling in the world- I didn't want it to end. Going back to the civilian world was a real eye opener. So many people in the world who care nothing about themselves or their future- it was sad.

There were a few moments in boot camp which were actually fun, like the rappel tower for instance. Although it was the worst 3 months of my life, it was also the best and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

TJR1070
06-04-09, 07:42 AM
Although I wouldn't call boot camp fun I certainly heard some funny sh*t while there. I was always amazed that even after yelling at recruits all day the DI's could still come up with new and funny comments. Hygiene inspection usually produced some funny observations by the Drill Instructors.

Marine84
06-04-09, 08:14 AM
Are you kidding?

boomer56328
06-04-09, 09:07 AM
I spent 3 months of my life entirely ****ed at the entire world. Glad I did it once, but would never want to do it again. I do have fond memeories of the guys I went through it with though.

sscjoe
06-04-09, 09:30 AM
I also didn't find anything fun about boot camp, but then I wasn't there to have fun. Boot camp left a life long mark on me and I wouldn't trade that expeience for anything in the world, well except for maybe a night with Hally Barrie.

redman1
06-04-09, 06:49 PM
Yep the day I graduated.
Semper Fi Redman1

jungholee90
06-04-09, 07:30 PM
I don't think it was fun while I was at it. It did leave me with whole bunch of funny memories and comments, lol. The night before graduation when we all packed and got ready to leave, yeah it felt weird. I was glad that it was over, but it felt like I was supposed to train the next day, "Psst, scribe! What are we doing tomorrow?" lol.

Greg1990
06-04-09, 10:21 PM
My friends sister who is now a Marine and with all respect to her, was a fat body and just had a rough time emotionally during boot camp and made it through at her first swing at it. My opinion, if you are recycled 3 times you should receive a swift kick out of boot camp. All that shows is lack of motivation and I'm sure all Marines in here will agree, is a must! Medical reasons for being recycled is a different story...

Medical reasons was what I meant...

redman1
06-05-09, 04:52 AM
I hated it when a fat body that was on his second boot camp tour made PFC out of boot camp.
Semper Fi Redman1

HammerOfJustice
06-05-09, 03:46 PM
I hated it when a fat body that was on his second boot camp tour made PFC out of boot camp.
Semper Fi Redman1

Jokingly speaking though, if he went through twice he'd have 6 months TIS. :p

MLMonk
06-05-09, 07:04 PM
Jokingly speaking though, if he went through twice he'd have 6 months TIS. :p

That was the point, lol. There was a LCpl out of bootcamp in an MCT platoon in my company..And it wasn't for being awesome either.

benw2200
06-05-09, 09:39 PM
I also didn't find anything fun about boot camp, but then I wasn't there to have fun. Boot camp left a life long mark on me and I wouldn't trade that expeience for anything in the world, well except for maybe a night with Hally Barrie.

I'd trade two boot camps for Kim Kardashian and three for Eva Mendes.

chrisf9028
06-06-09, 12:41 AM

good point...good point

Pete0331
06-06-09, 01:14 AM

It's a recession man.
Speculators on the open market have pushed the price of a Kim Kardashian up to the price of five Boot Camps.

Hell, I may even go so far to say that a Kim Kardashian is worth doing a full Pogue enlistment in a coed unit... and that's saying a lot.

MGarrison
06-06-09, 01:04 PM
Boot Camp was fun. I mean yeah it sucked but I find myself missing it at the weirdest times. You will hate it at first but you get used to it after a while and eventually it just becomes a joke. It's as good as you make it. If you have to run back and forth touching palm trees, race your fellow recruit. Don't get caught having a good time but it can only be as good as you make it. We had one guy, Bender, who couldn't hold his bearing at all who was doing pushups on the quarterdeck while laughing at the DI. and you'll look back and laugh at some of the stupid stuff you had to do.

Kegler300
06-06-09, 02:11 PM
Marine Boot camp is part of the tradition. Graduating as a Marine is becoming part of the legacy.

Quinbo
06-06-09, 02:20 PM
Boot camp was hell but after I left I kinda missed it. Scared the crap out of my mom while on boot leave. She saw I had fallen asleep in the sun and poked me to wake up. I immediately sprang to the position of attention and shouted sir yes sir at the top of my lungs.

I might go through it again if Nicole Kidman is my rack mate and we have to share a bunk.

30seconds
06-08-09, 11:38 AM
Bootcamp is alright when your there but i would'nt like to go back. If you do like it so much stay in pick up Sgt work your ass off and pt and request to go become a DI.

ST331
06-10-09, 10:55 PM
Has any Marine ever loved Bootcamp or enjoyed it so much that they didn't want to leave?

I hated both boot camp and OCS with a passion, and not a day went by that I wasn't excited that I was a day closer to leaving...

ST331
06-10-09, 10:56 PM
I'm not a Marine, but if I could go back & they said I had to stay my entire 4 years...I gladly would...I loved it!

Are you on drugs?

Fievel
06-11-09, 12:14 AM
I hated it. It sucked, but it was a crash course in Marine Corps history, tradition, and etiquette. The Drill Instructors were hell and I cannot remember thinking that I would like to stay there. I used to listen to the jets taking off at the airport (MCRD San Diego Marine) and wished I was on one. But my Drill Instructors kept telling us "Go ahead! Refuse to train! Go home to your families and tell them that you are a f*cking failure!" I wasn't going to go that route.

Would I do it again? Hell no! Did I learn from the experience? Damn straight! Was it fun? You're smoking crack!

Skullsneeze
06-13-09, 09:46 PM
Eva Mendes................ Phew!! :D

That might be worth it :thumbup:

Alisium
06-13-09, 10:56 PM
I hated it. It sucked, but it was a crash course in Marine Corps history, tradition, and etiquette. The Drill Instructors were hell and I cannot remember thinking that I would like to stay there. I used to listen to the jets taking off at the airport (MCRD San Diego Marine) and wished I was on one. But my Drill Instructors kept telling us "Go ahead! Refuse to train! Go home to your families and tell them that you are a f*cking failure!" I wasn't going to go that route.

Would I do it again? Hell no! Did I learn from the experience? Damn straight! Was it fun? You're smoking crack!

The worst is seen all those houses in up on the hill in Old Town. Wishing you, were there. Eventually one of my buddies (years later obviously) got a home there over looking MCRD and I used to hang there a lot.

I didn't hate it, but I couldn't wait to get out either.

In retrospect, I would miss it in the Fleet because there was a certain purity about it and there were friends from there I would never see again.

I'd love to do it one more time, just to see how differently I would do things.

Fievel
06-13-09, 11:48 PM
The worst is seen all those houses in up on the hill in Old Town. Wishing you, were there. Eventually one of my buddies (years later obviously) got a home there over looking MCRD and I used to hang there a lot.

I didn't hate it, but I couldn't wait to get out either.

In retrospect, I would miss it in the Fleet because there was a certain purity about it and there were friends from there I would never see again.

I'd love to do it one more time, just to see how differently I would do things.

I don't remember where it was exactly, it was during the Pendleton phase, but I do remember being on a hump sometime after the sun was down. It was getting close to Christmas and we were humping down this trail. I looked up and saw the housing for the Marines, and I was able to see the Christmas trees in their living rooms and the presents underneath the trees. They also had the Christmas lights around their houses. That sucked!

I think you're right, though. I didn't hate it, hate was the wrong word - I just couldn't wait to leave. I made my mind up that if I stayed in I was going to be a Drill Instructor. I guess in a way I really did want to go back.

srinaldo86
06-14-09, 01:33 AM
I remember it being fun at times, of course there were other times where it sucked more than anything I've ever done.

Of course by fun I mean trying to beat my DI's in their counts. "You got 120 119 118...33 32 31" they start skipping numbers when you're moving faster then they're counting. "...30 25 19 15"
"DONE SIR"
"Oh good you want to move slow?!"

Lol, DAMMIT! I'd beat them and they'd still call me slow.
The whole platoon seemed to feel that way by the end. We'd all have little smirks on our faces when we could get "on line" before they could finish counting.

There was a lot of other fun stuff too, like mail call and Senior Drill Instructor time. When they pick on you about the way your letter smells, or the name of the person who wrote it.

My is a well connected person and managed to send most of her letters in envelopes from a variety of different government agencies (FBI, NC Highway Patrol, SBI, Home Land Security) it was always funny because those letter for some reason out of EVERYONE'S mail those are the only ones that weren't "air mailed" to me.

SlaveToTheCorps
06-15-09, 09:08 PM
Are you on drugs?

No drugs, Sir...Just that motivated!

ST331
06-15-09, 10:39 PM
No drugs, Sir...Just that motivated!

you're definitely more motivated than I am. I don't think they could pay me O-10 pay to do 4 years of boot camp.