PDA

View Full Version : Enlisted admission to Naval Academy?

yetiamchosen
06-02-09, 08:36 PM
Hello, all.

I am a Lance Corporal stationed in Camp Pendleton. I am a good performer, I scored a 98 on my AFQT, a 133 on my GT, and I have a 290 PFT score. I have 15 college credits. Is it possible for me to go to the naval academy? My enlisted contract doesn't expire until 20130608, and I just turned 22 two weeks ago. I've done much research into MECEP and have my sights set firmly on becoming a Marine Corps Aviator, but before I press onwards I'd like to know if it's even feasible for me to attend the naval academy in Annapolis.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Semper Fidelis,
-LCpl L

MLMonk
06-02-09, 09:16 PM
I've heard it is possible for you to attend it, but I have no idea on how.

yetiamchosen
06-02-09, 09:27 PM
I've heard it is possible for you to attend it, but I have no idea on how.

Wikipedia says you have to be under 23. I know you also need a recommendation from a senator, which I don't have. I may be able to acquire one. My primary concern: I'm not sure what the deal is with getting in if you're already active duty.
Semper Fi,
-LCpl L

Wyoming
06-02-09, 10:30 PM
Wikipedia says you have to be under 23. I know you also need a recommendation from a senator, which I don't have. I may be able to acquire one. My primary concern: I'm not sure what the deal is with getting in if you're already active duty.
Semper Fi,
-LCpl L

We got an LT (or Capt) on here that can help.

He'll be around. Be patient.

Isrowei
06-02-09, 11:10 PM
You have to be 22 and below before 1 July of the year you are applying for. It sounds like you'd just miss the deadline as your birthday sounds like it's in May.

I would recommend MECEP as a better program geared toward those who are prior enlisted. The Academy is a path to a commission.. and even a good path, but it does not cater to prior enlisted students and in a lot of cases, is harder for them. If it's something you really want though, it is doable, given that you meet the eligibility criteria at a minimum. Just my 2 cents having gone through the program and having friends who did MECEP.

The specific requirements for admissions are here:
http://www.usna.edu/Admissions/steps2.htm

MLMonk
06-03-09, 02:01 AM
Thank you sir for the information, I have a question though, would they still look at highschool grades? Even though I am a Marine, just wondering since my grades weren't that great, only because I was lazy my senior year and just wanted to go to bootcamp, lol. I can qualify for everything else though (even getting the senators recommendation).

yetiamchosen
06-03-09, 10:47 PM
You have to be 22 and below before 1 July of the year you are applying for. It sounds like you'd just miss the deadline as your birthday sounds like it's in May.

I would recommend MECEP as a better program geared toward those who are prior enlisted. The Academy is a path to a commission.. and even a good path, but it does not cater to prior enlisted students and in a lot of cases, is harder for them. If it's something you really want though, it is doable, given that you meet the eligibility criteria at a minimum. Just my 2 cents having gone through the program and having friends who did MECEP.

The specific requirements for admissions are here:
http://www.usna.edu/Admissions/steps2.htm

Thanks for the info, sir. It's greatly appreciated.

I had suspected as much, I just wanted to confirm it. In retrospect, it's no one's fault but mine for getting started so late; it's the price you pay for 'living life' before enlisting. Hindsight is always 20/20, but I'll continue to press onwards to MECEP. From what I understand, almost everyone is denied the first few times, but I will continue college on my own regardless of my acceptance. Worst case scenario, I'll get my degree through night classes and become part of the officer corps through a more direct commissioning program.

If we are the backbone of the marine corps, sir, you are its mind. We are all of the same body. I look forward to wearing gold in the coming years, one way or the other.

Semper Fidelis, and thank you again.
Respectfully,
-LCpl L

DocGreek
06-03-09, 10:52 PM
HEY!...YETI!! Why didn't give us your name??...on the RUN??.....DOC

yetiamchosen
06-03-09, 11:01 PM
HEY!...YETI!! Why didn't give us your name??...on the RUN??.....DOC

What's up Doc! My info is in my profile. I got a 19:30 on my PFT this morning, do you have any tips on how I could... accelerate my life? (I couldn't resist.)

Keep doing what you're doing, and thanks for all you do for us.
-LCpl Nathanael Ligon, MCB Camp Pendleton

DocGreek
06-03-09, 11:10 PM
NATE....just pulling your CHAIN!! Are you eating RIGHT??.....lot's of protien...low sugar...and calamari, and oysters!!...DOC

yetiamchosen
06-03-09, 11:15 PM
NATE....just pulling your CHAIN!! Are you eating RIGHT??.....lot's of protien...low sugar...and calamari, and oysters!!...DOC

I certainly try to, though my work environment right now makes eating properly very difficult. We have to bring things to work from the local PX, instant dinners etc. I think we're on a rabbit trail, though. Thanks for the advice. :)

-LCpl L

Quinbo
06-03-09, 11:46 PM
We like to beat up on the Army here and jokingly suggest losers apply there. You could and should look into the Army's flying enlisted program if that is your goal to pilot. I'm definitely not some sort of Army recruiter but from what I've read it is a good program and will get you warrent officer to start.

yetiamchosen
06-04-09, 01:01 AM
We like to beat up on the Army here and jokingly suggest losers apply there. You could and should look into the Army's flying enlisted program if that is your goal to pilot. I'm definitely not some sort of Army recruiter but from what I've read it is a good program and will get you warrent officer to start.

Thank you, Sergeant. From what I understand I actually could have gone warrant officer in the army to begin with, and flown, but I chose to be a Marine instead. I am Marine Corps through and through. I want to be a Marine Corps aviator, and I want to fly cobras. That's my dream. I don't want to fly apaches for the army and be a warrant officer.

I've done a vast amount of research into the aviation programs for the primary four branches, especially the Marine Corps, and I think my conclusion is an educated one. Thanks for the tip, though, I always appreciate an outside-the-box perspective on things.

I have friends in the army, and have nothing against it by any means, but I will always be a Marine, and I will never be in another branch.

Oohrah, Sgt.
-LCpl L

Wyoming
06-04-09, 07:15 AM
Thank you, Sergeant. From what I understand I actually could have gone warrant officer in the army to begin with, and flown, but I chose to be a Marine instead. I am Marine Corps through and through. I want to be a Marine Corps aviator, and I want to fly cobras. That's my dream. I don't want to fly apaches for the army and be a warrant officer.

I've done a vast amount of research into the aviation programs for the primary four branches, especially the Marine Corps, and I think my conclusion is an educated one. Thanks for the tip, though, I always appreciate an outside-the-box perspective on things.

I have friends in the army, and have nothing against it by any means, but I will always be a Marine, and I will never be in another branch.

Oohrah, Sgt.
-LCpl L

You want to fly in the military, the army may be the way for you.

Remember, you could be the most AJ squared away mofo they have ever seen.

Quinbo
06-04-09, 11:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx6FsDC4i3s

Red Patch 1345
06-04-09, 01:46 PM
Lance Corporal, Have you ever thought about finishing your enlistment and going reserve while you go to college through the ROTC program? It is a great program if you are motivated or do you really want to go to Annapolis?

Semper Fi

yetiamchosen
06-04-09, 08:18 PM
You want to fly in the military, the army may be the way for you.

Remember, you could be the most AJ squared away mofo they have ever seen.

Oohrah, Sgt. I'm sure I would be (unusually squared away for a soldier), but even if I liked the apache (I don't), I know I would spend the rest of my career looking back sadly on what I probably could have done were I willing to invest a little more of myself for less immediate and easy rewards. The Marine Corps means more to me than I can describe in words. It is an intense and profound part of who and what I am and have become, and am becoming. The only uniform I belong in is the uniform my brother wore, and the uniform that commands the respect and tradition that only the Marine Corps can. As I said, if I had wanted to fly as easily and quickly as possible, I could have gone army to begin with a full year ago. I'd be flying now instead of posting here. It's worth the sacrifice to me.

"Lance Corporal, Have you ever thought about finishing your enlistment and going reserve while you go to college through the ROTC program? It is a great program if you are motivated or do you really want to go to Annapolis?"

Thanks for the advice, Cpl. I'm pretty confident, especially with my MOS, that I can get my degree while I'm enlisted. That's my worst case option. I'm too old to get into the academy, but I should still be able to apply for MECEP, which would enable me to quit my regular duties and be paid full time just to go to school and get my degree as quickly as possible. Re-enlisting into the reserves and then doing ROTC on the side shouldn't be necessary.

Thanks, everyone, for your input.
Semper Fidelis,
-LCpl L

DevilDog2009
12-08-10, 03:15 AM
Good Evening All,
I was actually curious regarding some of the same issues. I currently 20 years old. Qualified for both the Naval Academy and the MECEP program, but what would really be the difference between the USNA and the MECEP program? I know with MECEP, you must be a SGT per the new MCO and you are payed as such, where with the USNA there are no rank requirements but you are not paid, you are just a Midshipmen. What would be the best avenue for prior enlisted.

TJR1070
12-08-10, 07:56 AM
Nate, you sound like a good Marine with a great attitude. I am sure you will succeed with your goal of becoming a Marine Officer, good luck with whatever path you choose.

This thread is a good example of why respect is not gone, even here at Leatherneck. Here are three intelligent, mature, respectful Marines, it is a pleasure to read about their efforts to improve themselves and our Corps.

gkmoz
12-08-10, 08:06 AM
Nate, you sound like a good Marine with a great attitude. I am sure you will succeed with your goal of becoming a Marine Officer, good luck with whatever path you choose.

This thread is a good example of why respect is not gone, even here at Leatherneck. Here are three intelligent, mature, respectful Marines, it is a pleasure to read about their efforts to improve themselves and our Corps.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

tdrt
12-08-10, 11:29 AM
Good Evening All,
I was actually curious regarding some of the same issues. I currently 20 years old. Qualified for both the Naval Academy and the MECEP program, but what would really be the difference between the USNA and the MECEP program? I know with MECEP, you must be a SGT per the new MCO and you are payed as such, where with the USNA there are no rank requirements but you are not paid, you are just a Midshipmen. What would be the best avenue for prior enlisted.

If I were you, I'd go MECEP since you'd maintain Sgt rank/income -- basically paid to go to college -- and it is designed for prior enlisted.

As far as the USNA, like you said, no pay and you'd be surrounded by a bunch of damn idiot kids. Don't you about you, but that would just **** me off.

USNAviator
12-08-10, 12:35 PM
Even though this post is about 18 months old, I'll add my two cents

First the OP is now too old for admissions to the academy. You must be under 23 on or before 6/1 of the year you are applying

Second, Middies do get paid. It comes out to about $880/month out which comes all their expenses, leaving Plebes with about $100/month. Since they seldom get off the station, they don't need much money. Firsties, or seniors end up with about $400/month cash. They have far more freedom and hence can leave the station more often

Finally, Student Naval Aviators must first obtain an officer commission. To become a Naval Aviator, one must be between the ages of 19 and 26 when entering flight training. Adjustments (waivers) can be made up to 24 months for those with prior service, and up to 48 months for those already in the military at the time of application or for Marine Corps PLC (Platoon Leader's Course) applicants with prior service

Just for future reference

Garyius
12-08-10, 06:29 PM
There is a service prep school, but it has mostly been converted for blacks who are enlisted directly into the school and then sent to the academy.

There may still be some non-black spots there, so I would ask.

calmeek
02-26-11, 11:40 AM
LCpl Ligon-
As a Naval Academy and Naval Academy Prep School graduate, I am glad you are interested in a path to commission. I have also served on the selection board of the local Congressmen for 15 years so I understand the process. You are, in fact, too old to apply to the USNA. However, there is another similar path that may interest you. I recommend you look at the US Merchant Marine Academy site (usmma.org). While their focus is for officers to serve in the United States Merchant Fleet, they also offer commissions to every service, included the USMC. In addition, you may enter by 25 years old. For all academies, including this one, you need to be accepted and to be nominated for admission. There are several nominations sources including your Congressman, Senator, VP of the USA, and the active and reserve forces.

Cal Meek
Captain USNR-Ret