PDA

View Full Version : Joshua's salute, still tugs at my heart strings today ...

thedrifter
06-02-09, 11:47 AM
06/02/2009
Tick Tock -
Joshua's salute, still tugs at my heart strings today ...
By Greg Tock , The Independent

Over the weekend, Joshua, Debbie and I headed on a quick trip to Phoenix. Our Marine son, Nicholas, had received a 48-hour pass from his base at 29 Palms and wanted us to bring his guns and many rounds of ammunition to him. I'm sure he somewhat wanted to see us, but mostly he wanted his big boy toys.

We had agreed to meet him, fellow marine John and John's wife Diane at Don and Charlie's rib joint in Scottsdale. I hardly make a trip to the Valley anymore without stopping by for a slab of baby-back ribs at the Scottsdale Road and Camelback location. It's a tradition with me that goes back to my days in Illinois. There we would traverse to Chicago and eat at a place called Carson's Ribs. The Scottsdale restaurant is, or has been, part of the Carson family empire for many, many years. Currently, Don Carson still stops by from time to time to make sure things are running smoothly.

They offer a full menu ... Slab of baby-back ribs, augratin potatoes and a salad. I digress.

I made my way back to the office on Sunday and started killing time by cleaning things off the desktop on my computer. Shortly thereafter, I found myself looking through family photos ... you know the ones. Those photos which hold special meaning, in other words, those photos that tug at your heart strings.

I came upon one such photo, a picture taken at Nicholas' boot camp graduation some five-plus years ago. Here was an eight-year-old boy (Joshua) saluting during the ceremony. Only the marines, and a young boy who joined them were saluting at this particular moment.

None of us know why Joshua chose to participate the way he did, but what's important is that he recognized the significance of the moment. Patriotism comes in all shapes and sizes. And sometimes it takes the smallest around us to tell a story.

Recently, I've had a quite few people write me and ask where has our love of country gone? Why aren't flags flown with the same flourish as the days after 9/11? Why don't people stand, take off their hats and put their hand over their heart as the flag passes during a parade?

I have no answer for those questions.

I can only counter with a picture of an eight-year-old boy saluting without being told to on a sunny day at Camp Pendleton.

God bless. And God bless America.

Ellie

http://images.zwire.com/local/Z/Zwire2264/zwire/images/2009/06/story/Joshua-salutes_story.jpg