PDA

View Full Version : How to get the most out of this experience?

PossibleMarine
05-31-09, 03:17 PM
I've come here today because I'm hoping to find how to make the best of this experience. I'm 24 and felt my life was really going nowhere. So one Tuesday I walk into a Marine's Recruiting office. Take the practice test. Go to the Main Recruiting Station. Take the real ASVAB (got an 84) and the day after I take the physical and swear in. My ship out date is Nov. 2nd.

So far I've been reading and exercising since then. Trying to remember the rank structure, general orders, etc. Running, crunches, push-ups, pull-ups, etc. The one thing I really want to know though is how to make the best and get the best experience out of this as possible. My ULTIMATE GOAL in life is to study medicine. I heard that Navy teaches this, but my reason for joining the Marines is for the discipline, structure and to gain that mentality to be able to put my mind into anything. Still, I want to take advantage of going to school, learning a great skill to take with me after the Marines, find myself being disciplined but at the same time have more confidence and be able to live like one of the funnest guys that come out of the Marine Corp.

I obviously don't plan on taking it easy, but I want to hear from you all in what will help me gain these goals. What should I absolutely do right off the bat? What should I try to avoid? What will help me in the Marine Corp so that I won't be like one of those a-holes that I've seen post "you should of joined the Army"?

I'm feeling almost every emotion possible, so I came to a place that might be able to help me understand and see things in a better light. So please any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

PS. I'm going for a job in Electronics number 0651. I know I don't have it yet, but I'm hoping to learn that skill since it's one I've always wanted to learn.

ameriken
05-31-09, 03:31 PM
What should I absolutely do right off the bat?
Fill out your profile and read stickies.

No answers will follow until after that is done.

ameriken
05-31-09, 03:33 PM
Here's a good start:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59447

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048

ameriken
05-31-09, 05:08 PM
Seems like you're already on your way. Remember, as for bootcamp, I'd say that getting through it is 90% mental. And no matter how much you prepare now, you'll never really be fully prepared. 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago there was no internet to provide all the info that you can access today....you went to the recruiters office, joined, maybe got a little info, maybe got yourself into shape a bit, and one day you found yourself on a plane heading to boot camp wondering WTF was in store for you. The rest was all a surprise and an experience when you got there. As long as you're committed to the goal, you'll make it through.

So dont be too overly concerned about what you can do now to be ready. When you get to boot camp, your DI's will rip you apart, break you down, eat you up, spit you out, and build you back up into a Marine. Whatever qualities you lack before you go in, you will have when you graduate.

The only qualities the Marines cannot give you is the desire and commitment to earn the title....sounds like you have that. :thumbup:

ArtyOps
05-31-09, 05:40 PM
You'll find that most people who are a$$holes generally start off that way, the Marine Corps, combined with the experience of being an NCO tends to amplify their a$$hole traits. If you want to make the most of your time in the Marine Corps there a few things you need to understand...

a) you are going to have to do sh!t that you didn't think you would have to do, that has nothing to do with your actual job/MOS/mission
b) being 24 you'll be the same age as a lot of 2nd term Marines, which means the first term Marines who will be your immediate supervisors will be younger than you. Get used to working for people younger than you. Also, if you were my Marine and you were 24 when you came to me I would expect more or you than the 18 or 19 year olds as far as maturity and leadership.
c) approach everything with a positive mental attitude and you'll go far. Your leaders will know if you approach everything with the attitude of "this is BS" or "this is beneath me".

PossibleMarine
05-31-09, 07:59 PM
That's honestly what I hope for in this experience. Like some people have told me, it's a life changing experience and it will take me somewhere. The things I worry about though (and I hope I don't sound too greedy here) are things like college credits, pay, living cost, etc. I've heard that you have to be really careful about the college courses you take and make sure they are transferable or else you're stuck with credits for nothing. You don't make a lot of money obviously, but I still want to send some money to my mom, save some money for my niece, etc. What will life be like even after my MOS training? That kind of stuff. The bootcamp stuff I've read and heard about a lot, but the things I just mentioned are the things that really just explode in my mind.

ArtyOps
05-31-09, 09:48 PM
That's honestly what I hope for in this experience. Like some people have told me, it's a life changing experience and it will take me somewhere. The things I worry about though (and I hope I don't sound too greedy here) are things like college credits, pay, living cost, etc. I've heard that you have to be really careful about the college courses you take and make sure they are transferable or else you're stuck with credits for nothing. You don't make a lot of money obviously, but I still want to send some money to my mom, save some money for my niece, etc. What will life be like even after my MOS training? That kind of stuff. The bootcamp stuff I've read and heard about a lot, but the things I just mentioned are the things that really just explode in my mind.

Sometime during MOS school you'll find out where you'll be stationed. Comm in general is a good MOS especially because at re-enlistment you'll get your choice of duty station and if you play your cards right you could end up somewhere nice. A good friend of mine is an 0651. When you get to 29 Palms for MOS school look at the Medal Of Honor recipients. Look for Arthur J. Jackson, that's his grandfather. He is one of 3 Marine recipients from WWII still alive today. But I digress...

After MOS school you'll be flown to your first duty station (unless your stationed at 29 Palms assuming you're comm, then you'll just walk up the street). You will make your way to the base, check into you're new unit, from there you will get a piece of paper and some NCO will drag you around everywhere to get all of your issued gear (sleeping bags, canteens, rifle, sunglasses, etc...

From that point you are going to work your a$$ off to learn your MOS, progress through the ranks, and have the best damn career you can possibly imagine. All of these things will enable you to accomplish any other goals you have in mind. Work on being a Marine first, everything else will fall into place, I promise you that.